PDA

View Full Version : Easyjet to commence services from LDY

mysecretsmile
1st Jun 2005, 11:35
I am led to believe from a reliable contact that Easyjet are in the final stages of announcing that they will commence services from
LDY.

Initially it is thought that the route will be a twice a day to Gatwick but they are also currently looking at the viability of other destinations from LDY (possibily European routes)

Would be interesting to see if these materialise, especially with Ryanair putting the LDY airport management/local council under pressure for a £30m runway extension and upgrade.

I understand that Ryanair are also to go back to 2 a day from LDY for their winter schedule.

Ambulance 'Charlie Alpha'
1st Jun 2005, 14:31
Good news for LDY, but I hope that they pick a time of the day when everyone else is not there! Sitting with engines running on the taxiway due all the available apron space being used is a pain in the butt! Especially with the one route in and one route out set up they have there. Even more so if one aircaraft has to actually shut down and unload/reload on the taxiway. Not great when you're ready to depart but find yourself trapped in a corner due Arran, Logan, Ryan all blocking the only way out!!! Staff are great though.

Cheers

ACA

ALLMCC
1st Jun 2005, 15:26
There was mention of this in the press a while back - somehow can't see the folk at BFS being too happy about it!

BELHold
1st Jun 2005, 19:47
Lot of interior work being going on in the terminal and plans I believe to extend the Apron along with a new taxiway.

ALLMCC, I cant see BFS, BHD or DUB being too worried given the geography, RYR perhaps, but never the less just what LDY needs.

Buy one get one free
2nd Jun 2005, 10:37
Apron space will be critical as runway 02/20 is not strong enough for a medium size aircraft to even park on. The PCN 35 applies only to runway 08/26 and I assume the taxiway to the 26 threshold only.

Anything on this cross runway especially when turning [inside main wheels] will simply churn up the old tarmac surface.

CAP 168 provides the guidance on runway strengths.

:\

with alacrity
2nd Jun 2005, 16:21
One slight problem here is due to controlled airspace or in the case of LDY lack of it!
Aircraft departing LDY and heading Southeast fly through uncontrolled airspace until they reach the Belfast TMA or join airway Lima ten at the Belfast VOR.

The uncontrolled airspace is in the Scottish FIR and the best service that can be received from the West Coast sector at Scottish Centre is a radar information service (RIS).

Easyjet will not accept a RIS and will request a Radar advisory service (RAS) when flying outside controlled airspace and Scottish Centre cannot provide this.

Belfast International Airport ATC can provide a RAS in this area but not up to the vertical extent required by the aircraft because the higher levels are controlled by Scottish Centre. It is very rare for a Centre to delegate airspace to an Airfield, in fact it normally happens the other way round.

So there you have it. If Easyjet are considering using LDY
then either an Airway must be established ( and that takes years due to opposition and enviromental issues) or the company may have to downgrade the Radar service required for the portion of flight outside controlled airspace.

mysecretsmile, are you the alter ego of ALLMCC?.
The style of posting is eerily similar

:confused:

Nil further
2nd Jun 2005, 18:15
with alacrity

there is nothing in the ezyjet ops manual with prohibts the acceptance of a radar information service.

Some years ago an esteemed Base Captain issued a NOTAC telling us not to do it . That notice was never incorporated in the manuals and like a lot of rubbish that guy came out with is largely forgotten .

nf

Bokkenrijder
2nd Jun 2005, 19:02
Could someone please be so kind to mention the real name of this "LDY?" :confused:

Obviously somewhere in Scotland...

Thx!

LTNman
2nd Jun 2005, 19:07
Try Londonderry Eglington, Northern Ireland

Bokkenrijder
2nd Jun 2005, 19:36
Thx 4 the info!

BALIX
2nd Jun 2005, 21:01
I would guess that EZY will not accapt a Radar Information Service where there is an alternative service available. However, if there isn't, they would take the RIS that is on offer. When they flew NEW-CPH they headed east out of Newcastle and mixed it with the fighters under a RIS from ScACC until they entered the upper air. (Where they mixed it with the fighters under radar control :ooh: )

Can't see the Londonderry-Belfast routing being a great problem to them.

mysecretsmile
2nd Jun 2005, 22:20
with alacrity - I am no alter ego of ALLMCC.

Flattering and all as it may be (not !) what with his hot air blowing about the incredible BHD. It is stuff of legends and has given me a laugh a few times but thats where it ends.

FourTrails
3rd Jun 2005, 00:01
BALIX You are correct on your assumption about the RIS. Similar situation departing BFS south bound. Although direct DUB is kindly offered with a RIS, we really should route MULLA P600 with the RAS or whatever it is we get on that route.

CAP670
3rd Jun 2005, 06:35
Personally, I always travel by train unless a Radar Control Service is available....

;)

with alacrity
3rd Jun 2005, 09:40
FourTrails

The route BFS Mulla P600 is wholly within CAS so the service is Radar Control.

mysecretsmile

What can I say? Apologies

:O

Firestorm
3rd Jun 2005, 10:25
They're going to have to do something about the train line at the western end of the runway as well. If the controllers think that a train is in the area, but can't see it, any aeroplane on the approach has to go around and hold (or begin again). Traffic lights for the train would be a start: it's always late anyway, so another delay whilst an aeroplane lands won't affect it much!

Good news for LDY though: it's a beautiful area, and I've only met really friendly people. They deserve a break.

jamesbrownontheroad
3rd Jun 2005, 17:16
Can't see the Londonderry-Belfast routing being a great problem to them.

That gives me an idea... :)

LTN/LGW/STN -> BFS -> LDY

The first two stop EZY service? That would certainly give the Airporter bus a run for it's money :E

They're going to have to do something about the train line at the western end of the runway as well. If the controllers think that a train is in the area, but can't see it, any aeroplane on the approach has to go around and hold (or begin again).

If you can't see an NIR train crawling along the coastal line, you can usually see the plume of black smoke, or maybe hear the monstrous noise... Incidentally, Castlerock to Derry is one of *the* most beautiful rail routes in the UK and Ireland, and with forty year old railcars still running for a little while yet, it's practically a preserved railway...

:hmm:

*j*

Tower Ranger
4th Jun 2005, 18:09
With Alacrity
If Ej decide to go even further into the sticks I don`t think the RIS will be the deciding factor. After all they still operate into Bfs with no radar service when your radar is on maintenance and receive a procedural service only. Although the nice chaps at Bhd are always willing to provde the vectors and we wouldn`t have to charge you!!

Firestorm
You`re a bit behind the times. The train crossing is now controlled by the Atco`s at Ldy from the Vcr.

eastern wiseguy
4th Jun 2005, 18:57
Tower......you are being a little mischevious!. The point about RIS/RAS is that they tell us that the minimum RADAR service they will accept outside of controlled airspace is a RAS. Procedurally they are remaining inside controlled airspace with a CONTROL service ergo your assertion is spurious.Mind you I have watched you vector ...and I might consider that to be an advisory service ...in as much as I would advise the aircraft against it !!:E :E :E

joking...honest

parkfell
4th Jun 2005, 20:10
T R

They have been talking about the airport being able to control the train for quite some time. Workmen were working on the line in the vicinity of the 26 threshold a week ago.

When was this new procedure introduced?

If this has indeed happened, it will remove the unique situation of an aircraft having to give way to a "ground vehicle" during normal operations.
:cool: