PDA

View Full Version : Bae 146-200 climb

I_know_nothing
1st Jun 2005, 10:26
I noticed an increase in engine noise after we got clear of the airport - almost the reverse of what you get in (for example) a 737 or similar. Do they crank up the engines at some point (or did I imagine it all - twice)?

I_know_nothing
1st Jun 2005, 15:15
Hmmm 39 views - no replies - I am (very) new here - did I post this in the wrong place?

BOAC
1st Jun 2005, 15:42
Not at all, IKN, you just need to give it a bit longer:D.

Is is by no means unusual for the 'reduced' or 'flex' power setting used for take-off on any aircraft (both covered in topics on PPrune) to be LESS than climb power, which means at acceleration altitude (ie when the flaps retraction starts) the engine power will increase slightly. Fairly common on longish runways. It is also possible that they decided to increase power to obtain a higher rate of climb. Some aircraft hold a reduced climb power setting until a certain altitude (15,000' 733), but this can be cancelled by the crew.

I_know_nothing
1st Jun 2005, 16:53
Thanks - guess I'm out of date - I only fly 2/3 times a year - my recollection of other short haul jets was an almighty racket on take-off and initial climb followed by a "throttle back" effect where you seem to slow down as you leave the immediate airport area - but maybe that's just a memory from older 737-200s and older DC9s I've flown on with older engines.

I have flown 4 times on 146s in the last 3 years and liked them very much - in my estimation they compare favourably with the 737, F28,F50, A320, DC9 (and certainly with Saab 340, F50, and HS748s) all of which I've also flown on - but they seem to get a lot of stick in various quarters.

I'll also try a different search of previous posts now I know what I'm looking for.

BOAC
1st Jun 2005, 18:24
IKN - what you refer to is the old 'noise-abatement' procedure applicable to the older, noisier jets, where thrust was reduced at a certain height to reduce environmental noise. In some cases the reduction was quite significant and even an experienced pilot passenger sometimes raised an eyebrow! It was not so much a 'slow down' as a drastic reduction in climb rate and acceleration. The 'modern' quieter jet engine does not (generally) have such a restriction on power settings vis a vis noise.

For what happens with 'reduced' or 'flex' you could look at this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=120577&highlight=reduced+power+take+off) which has a link to Chris Brady's excellent 737 web site and this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=143234&highlight=flex+thrust) and this (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=139948&highlight=flex+thrust) to kick you off.
Note 'reduced' power take-offs are also known as 'assumed temp' take-offs in case you get confused!:D

Hotel Mode
1st Jun 2005, 19:07
Sure we're not talking about the slightly unusual flap noise the 146 makes on extension and retraction? That said their were times when climb power was higher than take off in the RJ100, but only on mega derates for long runways. And then it was not enough to be noticed in the cabin

malanda
1st Jun 2005, 21:19
Could it have just been the clearing a speed restriction?