PDA

View Full Version : Turnhouse Airshow 1971?

pubsman
1st Jun 2005, 09:55
I remember being taken to an Airshow at Edinburgh Turnhouse in 1971 (I think) by my Father. It was the first time I had seen Concorde (possibly its first visit to Scotland). I have recently came across some slides my Father took that day. can anyone tell me which Concorde it was? Also, does anybody have a list or other (programme? of what was flying?

wub
1st Jun 2005, 11:40
Try this link, no Concorde though,
http://www.scramble.nl/mil/show/showreports/edinbu71.htm

This link says Concorde first visited Edinburgh in 1980:
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=174263

pubsman
1st Jun 2005, 14:05
Thanks WUB.

The Show report certainly confirms the year. However, it is definitely missing the Concorde appearance. It certainly didn't land but I'm sure a majority of the aircraft didn't. As for the first appearance being in 1980, I can only assume that refers to a landing! It was certainly there in 1971 as I have the slides to prove it.

I'm still interested in finding out which one it was.

wub
1st Jun 2005, 14:48
You're welcome. If Concorde was there in '71 then it was either
F-WTSS (Concorde 001) or G-BSST (Concorde 002) because they were the only two flying until December '71. I suspect it was 002.

JimmyTAP
3rd Jun 2005, 08:26
I was there in 1971 and I remember seeing Concorde G-BSST emerge like a bright white arrow from a very black sky after a rain shower. The date from my records was 26th June 1971. G-BSST also appeared at Leuchars air show in 1972.
(I was also at Edinburgh in 1980 to see F-BVFC)
Did the BA Concorde fleet not use Prestwick as a training airfield?

Hope this helps

JT

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Jun 2005, 12:27
I have it on good authority from Genghis.Sr and Mrs.Genghis.Sr. that I attended said airshow (lived in Kirkcaldy at the time, whence had G.Sr relocated after they closed the Supermarine design office). Apparently I slept through the whole thing, then when all the jet noise stopped, woke up and started crying.

Set the pattern for my life really :cool:

G

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2005, 21:01
Genghis,

"Apparently I slept through the whole thing, then when all the jet noise stopped, woke up and started crying."

Weren't you about fifteen in 1971? :p

Genghis the Engineer
4th Jun 2005, 08:03
A little younger. :O I'm glad to say that I'm still rather nearer 40 than 50.

And I deny emphatically having had anything to do with the script for "Space Cowboys".

G

(Wondering who has been talking, and about what)

kpiko3
5th Jun 2005, 23:09
Was concordes first visit to Scotland not at one of the Prestwick Airshows? I think they were regular visitors plus concorde did use Prestwick as a training airport for weeks at a time.

Kpiko