PDA

View Full Version : BAe ATP

Dash-7 lover
31st May 2005, 18:43
Last commercial ATP flight for British Airways today BA8810 BEB-GLA landed @ 1721Z. G-MANJ to posn GLA-SEN tmrw 0800-0945 with G-MAUD to posn same times on the 02nd June..... and that's it....... gone..... no more.......:-(

Richard Taylor
31st May 2005, 19:06
Ugly things!

748 Budgie had more style!

They could never beat the Viscount though...;)

Dash-7 lover
31st May 2005, 20:26
Give ya that with the Viscount, but nowt wrong with the ATP....

Oshkosh George
31st May 2005, 23:47
Last commercial ATP flight

Not quite true! Sun-Air I believe still fly theirs. And before you say 'Ah but,they're a franchise' ,so are Loganair!(who operated the flight you refer to)

skiddyiom
1st Jun 2005, 06:25
Well, no more BACX ATP's (phew!) but we still have the Emerald ones flogging backward and forward to LPL.

Still a good looking aircraft but an over-engineered pig to work on. And G-MAUD had a nasty tendency to over-stay her welcome on checks!

Anyway, end of an era with BACX - what next? More balloons?

skiddy:D

Krystal n chips
1st Jun 2005, 15:29
To be, er scrapped by any remote chance ?:E --used for Semtex demonstrations, as crash / fire practice for the APFS, targets for the RAF / Navy / RA---or any other use that prevents the heaps getting airborne again---ever.
:E ----hope springs eternal of course. Or put them on display as a classic example of "how not to design and build an aircraft". :rolleyes:

PPRuNeUser0162
1st Jun 2005, 16:01
Are they really THAT bad? I must admit to having fond memories of G-MAUD as I got my first flightdeck ride as an 11 year old on her a long long time ago...

Dash-7 lover
1st Jun 2005, 16:26
Oshkosh George....

If you want to get technical, Yes, the last flight routing was originally BACX but given to Loganair along with the ATP's which were still BACX crew and on our AOC! and we're still wholly owned by BA. Ok SunAir still have theirs but for how long? the Dornier 328 seems to be making a bit of a come back!

smudgethecat
1st Jun 2005, 17:02
nowt wrong with the atp? they may be ok looking through your binocs at em, try trying to keep the bloody things sevicable ,total junk end of story, it was a abortion from day one

Conan the Librarian
4th Jun 2005, 11:55
I did once talk to someone who informed me that ATP stood for Advanced Technical Problems.... Me? I know nuuuuuthing :-)

Conan

Germstone
4th Jun 2005, 15:48
conan

Its actually

Another Technical Problem

HZ123
7th Jun 2005, 10:35
Six of the marque for sale at SEN and for the older driver 3 x HS748, a couple of the ATP's are destined to Euro Air of Greece.

EGAC_Ramper
7th Jun 2005, 10:54
Yes I had fond memories to of the ATP,like mentioned I had first Flightdeck visit on ATP of Manx Airlines.Began dreaming to fly them,then I started working at BHD and found htem an annoying BU:mad: GER of a plane.You got to all the effort of loading the suckers for them to go tech.
One laughable memory was after a few days of sitting around G-MANF/E I believe after going tech,was made sreviceable.Anyways popped over and guided it back while it powered back from old BHD terminal.Taxied off "Happy days!" I said then as I was walking out the damn thing taxied past again.Only went tech again by the time it reached the end of the runway!!:D

Still quite amusing!

Regards:ok:

skiddyiom
8th Jun 2005, 15:35
Speaking of ATP's, a little bird told me that Atlantic Airways are getting 2 freighters at the end of this month. Anyone got any gen on that?

TopBunk
8th Jun 2005, 16:07
"Good-looking" and "ATP" - there's 2 concepts I never thought I'd see in the same sentence:eek:

skiddyiom
9th Jun 2005, 07:42
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

skiddy

Wycombe
9th Jun 2005, 12:42
ATP = Advanced Turbo Pidgeon (bigger than a "budgie") was another one I heard.

Tinstaafl
10th Jun 2005, 01:59
Have to admire the effrontery to call it the 'Advanced Turbo Prop' considering it's a 1950's underlying design...

Richard Taylor
10th Jun 2005, 12:38
I used to hear BA pilots call them "BATS".

Sums 'em up,I reckons...:D

Krystal n chips
11th Jun 2005, 08:20
Awwww C'mon now !----it really was Advanced --it had a glass cockpit--coughs---plus an "advanced" maxaret--and very advanced eng / airfame anti-ice systems--so advanced in fact they rarely worked when they were supposed to :yuk: --not to mention the super advanced galley--nothing like eating a congealed "hot" breakfast---minus the hot element---truly, a very advanced H of S !

Little Blue
11th Jun 2005, 08:28
As a wee CSA at East Mids, back in the late 80's, the a/c was aptly nicknamed Alternative Transport Provided, due to the high probablity of us getting in a bus to get the pax down to LHR thanks to another tech disaster !

"...you'd be better off flying with BA
...cos the ATP's gone tech today !"
Hell, we even wrote our own rap for the thing !
;)

3legs
11th Jun 2005, 16:25
ATP= All Together Push! - One was once heard to say!!

skiddyiom
12th Jun 2005, 09:11
Strange how people keep buying this "flying disaster".

I understand Atlantic are getting a couple of freighters sometime very soon.

skiddy

Krystal n chips
12th Jun 2005, 16:30
skiddy---

Could be because it's a beancounters dream ? dangle the low fuel burn carrot--eg 600kgs from GLA / EDI - MAN and Wow !!--- the little eyes light up ! The real expense comes later re. downtime / spares and delays---as I am sure you--and lots of others who have been in contact with the heaps are only too well aware.

jimbolayah
13th Jun 2005, 13:23
now before yu all start beating me up, i kind of like the atp. I just got type-rated on it last saturday and it's my first "big" aeroplane with those neat tv screens on them:8

AFA
15th Jun 2005, 12:35
`Aerospace taking the piss` was another unfortunate name for it. My first type so i hold a little affection for it. Then again i remember having to fly the first morning sector still wearing my jacket and hat complete with `mickey mouse` headset over the top to stay warm. The alternative was to risk being asphixiated by the ground `snake` heater that just seemed to pump noxious gas into the cabin. Haven`t been able to do 220kts to 4 miles since though!!

Chickvernie
15th Jun 2005, 13:16
Did 5000+ hrs in the thing....wasn't that bad really...honest !!

When I first flew it ( a long time ago ) we called the "Skoda"...even with ATC...But Fleet Office called it a day cos it was a bit of an insult to the famed car manufacturer !!

There were various "affectionate" nicknames for the old bird..but I still think the best was the "Tampon"....cos it only "went up once a month" !!

"Wigwam" was another......think.....A - Teepee !!

Still hold out that it's a great piece of kit to start out on...it's got every bad trait in the book...If you can fly the thing well...you can fly anything !!

And as a previous posting said...you could "red line" it to 4 miles...those 14 ft props are the best airbrakes around.

TURIN
15th Jun 2005, 20:29
To us northerners it was

Avros Taking the P1ss.

AnyTime, Please.

We got a major boloking for calling it the skoda!!:O

Georgeablelovehowindia
15th Jun 2005, 20:48
I know someone who was in BA at the time and was involved in the committee formed to advise the board on the 748 replacement. Under consideration were the ATR42, Fokker50 and the ATP, and the committee were unanimous in recommending them, in that order.

"That's it then" said my friend "wheels within wheels, funny handshakes all round and I'll bet we end up with the b---dy ATP!"
"Oh ----, how could you be so cynical!" said the chairman.

Look what happened ...

Krystal n chips
16th Jun 2005, 08:15
Probably the only "modern" type for which the maker had to conduct a "hearts and minds" campaign for the operators due to the "positive feedback" :* -which consisted of a day out at Woodford--and a free lunch --plus some waffle of course.

It also holds, I think, the world record for an IFSD--on a delivery flight---Woodford to MAN--15mins ?---Loganair as I recall.

Chickvernie
16th Jun 2005, 16:30
Krystal n chips....Your not wrong......
G:LOGA Block time 25 mins
As I remember it we had a "flap" fault as soon as we got the wheels up....went straight into the hanger after touchdown !!
Ah...BAe quality control at its best.

Germstone
19th Jun 2005, 19:13
seem to remember many moons ago a manx airlines memo doing the rounds.

something along the lines of any staff refering to the ATP aircraft as skodas would receive diciplinary action :-)

Ronaldsway Radar
20th Jun 2005, 09:02
My first cockpit visit was also in the Skod.....emmm......ATP (damn that memo), looked quite nice, bit cramped though, {not even going to mention the cabin :yuk: }.
But hey, I enjoyed the many flights to and from liverpool on them (as a pax :( ).
Always enjoyed seeing them at IoM...

Roll on the Dorniers though (for EMX) !! :E :}