PDA

View Full Version : Vale E.C. "Ossie" Osgood OAM

The Baron
30th May 2005, 05:46
To all old Arnhem Pilots and other top enders,

Ossie passed away on Saturday morning in the Darwin Hospital after a long and typically stubborn fight against multiple illnesses,
including the amputation of both legs.
Ossie was a genuine pioneer after WW2 flying Tiger Moths crop dusting in Western Australia before moving up to the TopEnd. He flew a wide variety of aircraft including Catalinas, Dragon Rapides and Percival Proctors. He also was instrumental in bringing new American equipment into Australia such as the first Baron.
When he lost his licence on medical grounds in 1994 he had accrued in excess of 33000 hours in his logbook.
At times Ossie was quite volatile and was often quite eccentric but at the same time kindhearted. I well remember the time a friend's pay had been stolen by one of our indigenous passengers{they were nearly all indigenous}. Ossie went straight to the cash register and repaid him as soon as he found out.
He also had an immense dislike of bureaucracy, especially CASA,
which persised until he died, although he often quite liked the FOIs he dealt with.
There are Arnhem pilots flying for Airlines all over the world now who progressed their careers with Ossie and I know this made him proud.
Ossie's family will be holding a ceremony at Darwin Funeral Services at 10am on Thursday, after which he will be interred at Thorak Regional Cemetery next to his beloved wife Shirley.

Thanks Ossie,

The Baron

tinpis
30th May 2005, 06:23
Never worked for the old bugger but he was a legend around the old Darwin GA tarmac.
Sorry to hear he had such a bumpy ride health wise later in life.

RIP

TP

Seaeagle109
30th May 2005, 09:58
Sad to hear that Ozzies gone, I flew for Ozzie and Shirl for a couple of years in the mid '80s; he had several medical problems back then, diabetes the main one.

He gave me a job when I really needed one as another operator I was working for went bankrupt; I think he must have liked me as he only sacked me twice(once during a downturn and once after an arguement), neither actually carried out.

The Baron's discription of Ozzie is pretty accurate, an interesting bloke to work for with a great love of aviation and geniunely kind hearted under a gruff exterior.

Rest in peace Ozzie.

The Voice
30th May 2005, 11:57
Ossie definitely was an icon of NT GA back in the early 90's. Very highly thought of by one or two FSO's on station there.

A loss that will be felt by many.

Richo
30th May 2005, 13:12
Rest In Peace

Farewell Ossie, join Shirl and enjoy the retirment.

I suppose the Mustang is now for sale, if not I belive it will go to the museum and add to the Arnhem Air and Ossie OZ colection already well represented by his aircraft.

Only sacked twice SE109, he really did like you. I remember the story about the call from QANTAS recruiting, where Ossie really bagged the guy. But he still got the gig, QANTAS said "It was one of the best recomendations", that they ever got from Ossie"?.

Richo

cunninglinguist
31st May 2005, 09:16
Will never forget Oz doing his first circuit in one very tame and apparently very sedate :confused: .......Hawker Sea Fury !
Landing on 36 ( I think thats the short rw ? ), he did a huge bounce about 10 feet back into the air ( not from hard landing, just a little misjudgement on the round out I think ) and thought better of it and went around. Next landing was a pearler.
Early '89.
Never worked for him but know many who did, and I believe there were alot worse ( inc one B McT :mad: ) people to work for.

RIP Ozzie
Hope there is a souped up Fury up there for ya.:ok: