PDA

View Full Version : GA services in Dublin

overeasy
30th May 2005, 00:37
As anyone who has been to Dublin will probably already know, services in Dublin have always been sporadic at best. Unfortunately the situation with fueling is so bad now, it is not uncommon for fuel to take well in excess of 2 hrs. Don't bank on any quick turns there if you have to fuel!

BizJetJock
30th May 2005, 09:50
If you're there regularly you'll find that a little pourboire to the driver will give you much improved service next time.....;)

refplus20
30th May 2005, 15:32
A lot of the problems have arisen since the introduction of the new security barrier installed airside. (The situation before security changes was not ideal, but this new security measure has only served to make worse the problem). To reach the GA ramp, the tanker drivers have to pass through this checkpoint on their return from fuelling GA aircraft and if they are just plain unlucky,they can be held up waiting there for as much as 20 minutes. So there is no incentive to re-fuel GA.

theWings
31st May 2005, 10:31
secure my butt! last time i ended up being taken through baggage handling, yes, as in stepping over the belt! don't ask.

and i tipped the bowser driver alright. no, really i did because a) he was a top fella and b) the 'handlers' were nowhere in sight.

nouseforaname
3rd Jun 2005, 17:01
Depends what your doing in Dublin but if I was you I would go To Weston EIWT they are just the same distance from the innner city and friendly (apart from the manager avoid him he's up himself) but apart from that it's a good spot.

G-SPOTs Lost
3rd Jun 2005, 20:48
Would agree wholeheartedly about Weston.

Went in there in a Citation II relatively light, quite a useful stopway at the end of the runway.

There isn't a bowser so if you need JET A1 you will need to taxi next to the pump.

Anything much bigger than a 550 would I feel struggle unfortunately. Its a lovely little field

Fried_Chicken
3rd Jun 2005, 21:54
Are there any prospects of future developments for GA at Weston such as an introduction of a bowser? Also, is there a dedicated handling agent there or is it a do-it yourself job?

FC

nouseforaname
7th Jun 2005, 00:53
i was going to take off out of Dublin in a SE Skylane and the manager came up to me and started drilling me on what I would do If the engine cut out. I thought he was winding me up but he wasn't. The less these people are given positions like a manager at a good airfield like weston the better. He was so unproffessional.

LearjetGA
7th Jun 2005, 06:37
I was there last month on a medevac mission going to pick up a very critical patient. While the empty ambulance came to pick up my medical crew, we were waiting for fuel, and waiting, and waiting, and ...

Usually a trip with the ambulance from the airplane, pick up the patient at the hospital and come back takes two hours. Well guess what? They came back a little late and we just had finished refueling.

2 and a half hours for an air ambulance refueling on priority status and with a day in advance notice! This is a sad record!

Handling agent is very helpful but has no control on the fuel company.

TwoDeadDogs
7th Jun 2005, 09:58
Hi,LearjetGA
Why don't you get the name of the fuel company duty manager from your handler and call him yourself? explain that you're pressed for time on a medevac job. The driver of the Avgas bowser usually has to return to base with his Avtur truck first and then drive out of the fuelling depot, enter the airport via a security post, get checked for the umptyfifth time that day (and every other day), drive thru the entire airport to get to the GA area, refuel the aircraft, drive back around the ramp, exit to the fuel depot, put away the Avgas truck, collect his Avtur truck, go back to security...zzzzz!
you need to keep putting the arm on the fuel company and you shouldn't have to tip the refullers to get them to do their jobs, either. Dublin can be bad enough at times but we haven'e fallen to those levels,yet.
regards
TDD

nouseforaname
9th Jun 2005, 22:31
He is talking about Weston Airport which is a small airport. Little or no security.

If they want to call themselves an airport then they should be able to fuel any airplane let alone an air ambulance.

I'm in america now doing some more training. These airport managers as they call themselves should be sent over here to see how it should be done.

flap relief
3rd Jul 2005, 17:48
Now is Conrad still at the helm in Dublin? Its been many years since I was there but I remember the b*ggers muddle he used to be in everytime we arrived. I assume he is well retired by now though.

TiroP
3rd Jul 2005, 20:47
Conrad, bless him, is still there. (To be sure).

:) on a good day
:( average day
:{ the other days

refplus20
6th Jul 2005, 11:01
Dear old Conrad has retired. Caroline in charge now and Russel Search from Luton due to arrive for a short time to (I hope) sort the mess out. Dublin is getting worse and last Thursday was the pits!!! :mad:

TiroP
6th Jul 2005, 23:12
Sorry to hear that Conrad has retired. I became quite fond of the old goat over the years. I wish him a well-deserved and happy retirement.

Russel is a very competent guy & knows what he's doing. He (and George?) could work wonders there.

Looking forward to my next visit.

(Fuel on arrival, please!)

:)