PDA

View Full Version : The Huey Vol. II

B Sousa
29th May 2005, 00:33
It appears I missed a post which was quickly dumped along with its author. Im sure the individual will be reborn under another anonymous name.
Having said that, I believe its an important topic and although I agree with Jetdriver that all the questions possible have been asked and answered on the other thread, the party is not over.
The Huey thread garnered over 24 pages and some 17000 viewings. It also has been mentioned in press articles around the world.
AND
It has focused many people to the plight of not only the Huey Operation, but to SACAA and its inability to do anything based on its own rules. So although there has been some heat here, there may be some good in the long run.
I suspect that we will hear more on the matter and the debate will continue. So far all it has done is cast a shadow over helicopter tourist operations in SA and make suspect anything coming from SACAA.
Lets see what the future brings.......

Solid Rust Twotter
30th May 2005, 08:40
Problem with all the shenanigans surrounding this thing, SA pilots and operators are being seen in a more negative light overseas. Any Civil Aviation authority that can't keep its own house in order or enforce its own rules will merely become a flag of convenience for dodgy operators, leading to an unnecessary stigma attached to all of us who did it the hard(right) way.

Another step on the slippery slope affecting SA aviation, whether we like it or not...

clipboard
30th May 2005, 12:20
Yo Folks, I chatted with some Helibase folks on the weekend, and I'm told that nothing's changed.

The Huey still is not insured, there is still no qualified or licensed engineer etc, etc. The bird is apparently falling apart from cracks that have appeared everywhere on the fuselage. I saw some pictures of tail damage. (Maybe a hard landing or scraped the tail boom)

An intersting thing is that every piece of equipment on the Helibase shelves, whether scrap or not, are now fitted with a "sevicable tag".

Rebound mentions that the Huey is now maintained by a licensed engineer. Maybe Rebound can tell us who that is, because my information is that the licensed engineer that used to work there, left sometime late last year.

Will be interesting to see when their 2nd Huey takes to the air, if ever.:confused:

Oh yes Bert, I forgot to tell you that I did see the removed post. It was a threat of some sort. A threat that if you would ever set foot in SA, you're going to get hurt.

Well, the plot thickens. If Rebound is who I think it is, then I can only tell you that the man standing behind him, telling him what to write is a coward. A guy who is quick to tell everyone how he's gonna beat up people or have them beaten up. Old story! The guy himself needs a hiding. His father should have sorted him out with a decent hiding a long time ago.:{

B Sousa
30th May 2005, 17:07
Thanks Clipboard. I also got a copy of the thread. Further that it was confirmed on the author. Im sure he was doing that for his friend and mentor who apparently has his hand up the authors backside wiggling his lips...
Enough with that, lets keep it on the subject which now appears to be two pronged. The Aircraft/Company and the Aviation Authority.

SASless
30th May 2005, 18:27
Hey Bert,

Is that not a crappy way of doing a Howdy Doody act? Sticks and strings work better in my view.

propspanner
30th May 2005, 22:36
:mad: :mad: :mad:

How many volumes are we going to have??

We all can voice our opinions, but does it help?
The huyes were and still is a great helli!
But to get them flying lets all work to a standerd, DCA standerd!
Get licensed engineers and serviceable parts on those rust buckets, then we can talk!!
Until then, well we will see volume after volume after volume!!

So lets get the standerd up so we can all enjoy the past!

So how many volumes are we going to make ??:sad:

B Sousa
30th May 2005, 23:14
Propspanner writes: "The huyes were and still is a great helli!
But to get them flying lets all work to a standerd, DCA standerd!"

In deciphering this I can assume you are talking about the Cape Hueys. I Have to send you back to the original Thread. where the bottom line was that the airframes have no verifiable history, therefore by SACAA rules (and the rest of the flying world), cannot be registered..
Thats not saying that they wont register them and based on what we have seen lately that may happen. If so all may be well, at least on paper. The problem then becomes one for SACAA on how the rest of the world will respect anything with their stamp on it.
So based on your posting we may have a few more volumes out..

glimmerman_alpha
31st May 2005, 08:24
I agree....Volume after volume after volume...when is it going to end?

Anyway, I heard the Huey Crowd has got their own "security" department.Some oke from some dodgy bouncer company.Maybe he is the one lodging the childish threats. Shame, maybe he was a abusive child:p

So, the saga continues. Ive noticed that the pilot of the Huey wears ATP bars...:confused: Is he really ATP? Just curious. He is also the MD of the helicopter company.

Its a crazy setup but they are still operating so I guess that will carry on for a while.

In the meanwhile I will check in again when we have Huey Volume Nr 25:ok:

Fly Safe:cool:

SASless
31st May 2005, 12:05
Well...if it is as some suspect, that the parts are not as they are said to be....and the airframes are not as they are supposed to be....the thread will come to a natural and sudden end....with a few I told you so's and a bunch of bureaucrats herding up like a bunch of Musk Oxen....one big circular group with horns facing outward.

Time will tell.......who is right.

B Sousa
31st May 2005, 20:23
A little Pearl of wisdom that I dont know got mentioned before, but its an important consideration. The Hueys STC'd that leave the states are STC'd for either Restricted Category( No PAX) or Experimental (Airshows only). That ONLY applies in the United States. The SACAA can certify them as Normal or Utility Category if they so choose.
Those that came from Eithiopia have no STC so therefore could carry passengers if registered under Normal Category. I dont think that was the case and further since those particular Airframes did not have history, its all moot at this point.

jbayfan
1st Jun 2005, 10:43
Bert, what's a good source in the USA for properly restored UH1H machines? Got any websites you can point us to? What has happened to all the ex-National Guard and Ft Rucker machines that were mothballed?

B Sousa
1st Jun 2005, 14:52
Most all Hueys that left the Military were taken in by Law Enforcement agencies. They still have control over them. Depending on when they received them, they were either given out and owned by those agencies or they must be returned to Government control after use. Most belong to the agency.
Many of the airframes are stored by the military still at the famous site in Tucson Arizona. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/facility/davis-monthan.htm
There are a few companies out there that specialize in refurbing these aircraft a bit and sending them out the door. Most do so with an STC for Restricted Category and they are used in sling work, ie logging etc. They can go straight out the door into Restricted Category if they are flyable and need no work, but they will be N Registered as Restricted category.
So in looking for airframes its best to monitor agncies that are now selling them, a good site would be www.alea.org or watch the Helicopter sites on the internet.
Yes there are a couple of companies in mind besides SWFA. However they are pretty reputable and will tell you up front there is going to be a problem with exporting from the states.
If you are serious, Im sure I will get a PM or an email.

SASless
1st Jun 2005, 15:14
Bert,

I don't know about you...but when I go by the place in Arizona....I am sick to think of all those aircraft being chopped up for scrap.

Everyone of those birds has a life story that if it could be told, would be amazing. So many of them were flown in combat and thus have a history that should be told.

We talk about how much we love Hueys....or in my case....Chinooks....something that results from flying them in combat. I know the pilots and crews of those aircraft have many of the same kind of feeling towards those "hunks of junk" setting out in the desert waiting for the chopper to cut them up.

It is right we should try to save as many of them as we can....

B Sousa
1st Jul 2005, 17:32
Sasless
Have faith,this thread is not dead yet.........

SASless
2nd Jul 2005, 11:53
Nor is the Huey....going somewhere a long way from home....to fly one. Looking forward to it....good bunch of folks and a nice machine. It will be dressed up in authentic Vietnam colors....and logos.

B Sousa
4th Jul 2005, 18:47
Well all is well in SA..........Great food. (Just killed some good Filet on a stick from Spar.) Ha Ha.
I have now seen the B204 (SWFA) and think as I mentioned on the other thread that "The guy wants to do it right."
I also think that this is not the last of the Hueys to hit the ground in SA and if done as the B204, they will comply with SACAA rules.
get ready for the noise.....

I.R.PIRATE
5th Jul 2005, 09:36
GGGGRRRROOOOAAAANNNNNNNNN

:yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

Goffel
14th Aug 2005, 18:28
:} The Huey lives to do fire-bombing.
The Huey is now fire- bombing in the Nelspruit area,and all legal.(so they say).

So all those mother grundies who could not wait for it to leave CT,it has finally left.

Oooooops,apparently there are others about to be flying in CT very very soon!.

Watched it today doing some runs and looked very impressive.
Dont know who was flying it,but looks competent enough.

:= Long live Elvis.:mad:

B Sousa
14th Aug 2005, 23:54
Goffel
The fat lady is not singing just yet.................

Latent Heat
15th Aug 2005, 06:41
"Dont know who was flying it, but looks competent enough"

"The fat lady is not singing just yet"

I could have sworn it was the fat lady flying it.....

B Sousa
15th Aug 2005, 08:02
"Dont know who was flying it, but looks competent enough"

Almost missed that one.....As this is SA that appears to be the extent of any checks and balances. I suppose the next statement should be......

"Golly, it looks pretty, it must be flyable"

By the way the paint scheme is incorrect

glimmerman_alpha
15th Aug 2005, 08:13
I always love hearing what is happening down at the Waterfront with our good ol' mates. There is always something going on or someone is on his period again(Elvis being the leader).Nothing has cjhanged- dont think it ever will:

Elvis is sukkeling his gat off getting a Huey down on his pad. Got a VEETNAM-WP numberplate which is spelled incorrectly and still hates Clueless, Supervan and the guys at NAC.

Clueless on the otherhand is still fightiing for survival- and doing it somehow. Still pissed off with Elvis because they took his pilot...:p Dunno if he is trying to get the long haul flights to London going but it wont amaze me if he is....

Supervan is expanding. Getting a new Huey...apparently... and he has got the Alo II doing the flipping. Got himself a Jetty as well.But, they always deliver. If they say there will be a Huey next week- believe me, it will.Not like Elvis though...

NAC/Makana is minding their own business as usual.

The Watefront Lot is always entertaining..Go on guys, maybe you can start a reality show:}

Fly safe:ok:

Latent Heat
15th Aug 2005, 10:40
Mr Sousa, im not really interested in a sh:mad: t flinging match with you, but dont you think your statement "Golly, it looks pretty, it must be flyable" is going a bit far?

Thats an outright insault to the pilots that fly the Hueys....

Goffel
15th Aug 2005, 19:45
:} V?k Broer.
You ous have really got me here.

I honestly thought that it was Elvis that was supposed to sing,now you tell me it is the vet-tannie that must gooei the vocals.

When I said competent,I meant he hit the okes braaing,three out of three.
But they moered him stikkened after that as they had not finished braaing.

On a serious note now,they are using the Huey for a month on the fire fighting.
In all fairness,let's hope it works well for them.
:8

B Sousa
15th Aug 2005, 20:09
"Thats an outright insault to the pilots that fly the Hueys...."

Come on LH First of all I see that there is a couple of items here. One has to do with Elvis and the other in regards to the"Hanger by the Highway"

So I assume your refering to the first Hueys into country.
In that case all I have to say is regarding those Pilots who still fly those machines knowing what has been said here would probably never get a job in any company that I have worked for.
1. Aircraft with no valid C/A
2. Maintenance done in a level well above what is available at the "Hanger"
3. No Aircraft Historical records toher than what they have put together in SA
4. Mentioned not proven regarding timex parts.
5. Mentioned not proven the company has no Insurance.
6. Passengers for hire, but No C/A, it does not matter anyway.

Let someone post their real name hear and show the proof that this is not occurring.
Anyway they insult themselves by ignoring all the above..

Some of you are pissing and moaning about me taking shots at this mess. Quit giving me ammunition.. I would love to see all these Huey threads disappear..

SA Fred
22nd Aug 2005, 21:26
FWIW

http://www.caa.co.za/resource%20center/Airworthiness/Notices/Operation%20of%20ex-military%20aircraft.pdf

B Sousa
23rd Aug 2005, 04:37
Fred for those who dont have Adobe Reader, could you edit on a little synopsis regarding the subject.

Deanw
23rd Aug 2005, 07:17
SA Fred, hope you don't mind :ok:

http://www.avcom.co.za/images/1124781358noticepg1.gif
http://www.avcom.co.za/images/1124781413noticepg2.gif

B Sousa
23rd Aug 2005, 08:54
Thanks Dean
Seems like a pretty impressive document with a signature only a pharmascist would read. Depending on the date of issuance it could be a major stumbling block for those who wish to legitimately which you use Hueys for beneficial work, ie. Fire Fighting etc.
I know it says on a case by case basis, but what are their criteria for this. Also since they seem unable to control Aircraft that are currently flying in violation, how can they possible curb any futher abuse by others. So far all we have seen is the Toothless Tiger. It Roars with a Big NOTICE. If Im correct the most prominent Aircraft in this controversy appears to be on a Fire Contract in Nelspruit at this time.

B Sousa
20th Oct 2005, 20:01
Turn on all the lights. This thread is still alive.................