PDA

View Full Version : mam hours

gigs
28th May 2005, 20:28
i know being with mam is casual employment but,does anyone think that they may have employed to many of us. ive only got one days reserve span next week..my fear is that qf will try to lift cap or no cap on casuals and only provide a few days of work for all so then its covered. i recall goeff dixon saying he wanted 25% but it seems they want more like 110% casual work force the way they are going .

OZcabincrew
29th May 2005, 13:04
hi

from what i've heard, i don't think there is an actual cap on the number of casuals that can be employed in short haul? (correct me if i'm wrong). i know there was one in long haul when there were long haul casuals, but i don't think there's a limit in short haul.

It's interesting to hear there are more casuals on the way plus staff from other departments coming flying on a secondment (in PER anyway)

Oz

RollzRoyce
30th May 2005, 01:10
Hi Gigs,

Yes, I think there is an over supply of casuals. The reason for this is because the majority of casuals are not working on weekends and this does not suit Qantas...(this is what we were told anyway). So from now on the majority of our Mandatory days will be over the weekends. This is not a problem for me as I can only work on weekends some weeks.

Oz,

Met a few casuals who are transferring to Perth the other day...they are great people... and from what I have heard so are the FA's at Perth Base. Enjoy their company. They are really looking forward to moving to Perth.

Just received a letter from Qantas asking if I would like to be considered for permanent positions (long haul and short haul). If any positions become available between 1st July 2005 - 30th June 2006 in any capacity, MAM casuals who submit an application form will be considered.

I am quite happy as a casual at the moment, but I will definately submit the form. I know of a casual F/A who was made permanennt after being with MAM for only 6 months.

Rollz :ok:

OZcabincrew
30th May 2005, 03:42
Hey!!!!!

Perth crew are really nice, so they will fit in. As long as they don't whinge about when are they going to get their transfers back home and how miserable they are here(although, for sure they're going to get homesick which is understandable) ???? i don't expect they will as everyone was told a minimum of 3 years wait in Perth.

Wow, only 6 months of being casual before being offered permanent??? Was that this time around? Only because the only people eligible for full time this time around were casual F/A's employed before June 2004 (if that's the case, that's gonna annoy A LOT of people).

the expression of interest form is the new procedure that QF are doing in regards to full time employment. As the email says, every year around June they will ask for expression's of interest to be submitted for permanent positions for that 12 month period. If no permanent positions come up in that 12 month period, then you will fill out another form next June for the next 12 month period and so on and so on. I guess its a way of tracking of who wants it and who doesn't as there are a lot of casuals who don't want full time for different reasons.

Looking forward to all these new people in PER and flying with them all.

Oz

QFRegional
30th May 2005, 03:48
Ozcabincrew

So what if they whinge, big deal, build a bridge and get over it. Perth is just like any other base within Qantas short haul. People that got permanent Melbourne a few years ago whinged and complained because they wanted Sydney or even Brisbane, its no big deal and happens in every base, its just you dont see the Melbourne/Brisbane/Sydney bases on here complaining about new crew unlike you in Perth.

Its part and parcel of being a flight attendant you get your base and you put your name on the transfer list, not everyone is happy to live in Perth, just like they may not be happy in Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane its just thats where the permanent position in being offered.

Stop being so precious.

OZcabincrew
30th May 2005, 16:40
QFRegional,

I completely agree, a lot of people won't want to be in Perth, especially when their family etc are in a completely different state and that is fair enough, i would be exactly the same and have my name on the transfer list asap aswell. However, they have been given a rare opportunity, which has a condition that the transfer list is moving extremely slow, but they took that opportunity.

All i am saying is hopefully they all come here as i'm sure they will with a positive attitude about being here and make the best of it while they're here (as positive as you can be in their situation). Everyone in Perth is really nice (contrary to what you may think) and looking forward to them coming. The reason why "whingers" etc or whatever you wish to call them is more noticable in Perth is because it is A LOT smaller base compared to the others, therefore things are more noticable.

Overall, it is a hard situation that these guys are in, congratulations to them for getting the position and i hope they make the best of their time in PER. You get out what you put in. Perth is a great base with great crew which will hopefully make it easier.

Oz