PDA

View Full Version : Flyglobespan routes

Carnethy
28th May 2005, 20:17
Flew with Flyglobespan to & from PFO recently in their new 737-800 (G-SAAW only delivered 2 weeks prior to trip). This route is serviced 2x weekly by them from GLA. I was very impressed, with both flights being >90% full, but have a couple of questions...

1) Despite PFO being ideal for me, I was wondering "why PFO?" as I would have thought that demand for LCA would have been higher?

2) Why not split the 2x weekly flights to one from GLA & one from EDI? There are already 4 airlines operating GLA to PFO so it would make more sense. Do a survey on a GLA to PFO flight & I reckon that 50% of pax will be from the East coast. (I regularly fly this route).

Just some thoughts, not that I'm complaining, just thinking of serving the Scottish public better :O

Sheep fancier
28th May 2005, 20:47
Just a thought, but maybe the airline knows better where their pax base for that destination is?

SF

Carnethy
28th May 2005, 20:54
Yeah, your probably right but it would be good to know the justification behind these sort of decision, for example is it landing fees, etc?

airhumberside
28th May 2005, 20:56
2) Why not split the 2x weekly flights to one from GLA & one from EDI? There are already 4 airlines operating GLA to PFO so it would make more sense. Do a survey on a GLA to PFO flight & I reckon that 50% of pax will be from the East coast. (I regularly fly this route).
If I am wrong Im sure I will be corrected but arent the B737-800's needed for this route. These are based at GLA so doing a flight from EDI would mean a positioning flight from GLA to EDI

Carnethy
28th May 2005, 21:06
Would it be out of the question to base an aircraft at Edinburgh? After all Flyglobespan's HQ is in Edinburgh.

GW76
28th May 2005, 21:47
Q Would it be out of the question to base an aircraft at Edinburgh
A maybe the airline knows better where their pax base for that destination is
supply and demand

Britannia /TUI s UK HQ is at Luton and thats nowhere near their biggest base.

Carnethy
28th May 2005, 22:24
C'mon. Flyglobespan is a Scottish company for Scots - I'm sure it would be interesting to find out why an airline bases aircraft at one airport & not another? BAA have not supported EDI - it's about time someone did & I reckon Flyglobespan have the right infrastructure to implement this sort of development. Why invest in a fantastic new control tower for nothing?

GoEDI
28th May 2005, 23:31
Flyglobespan have equal numbers of aircraft based at EDI and GLA this summer doing various routes from both bases! When and if more aircraft arrive, I'm sure we will see expansion from both EDI and GLA and beyond, and if the PFO route is as successful from GLA as you say, then I'm sure it won't be long until we see the route from EDI.

GW76
29th May 2005, 10:57
Flyglobespan have equal numbers of aircraft based at EDI and GLA this summer
Mmmm not sure about the significance of that one. Certainly the overall seat numbers could not be compared, with the 2 x738's holding almost 45 extra seats each compared to the 733's
G-CDEG B737-8 G-CDKD B737-6, G-DLCH B737-8 ,G-GSPN B737-3
G-SAAW B737-8.
I think GLA requires another based aircraft when lots of the flights become daily, and some even double daily.

GoEDI
29th May 2005, 13:11
Mmmm not sure about the significance of that one.

I am, nothing to do with seat numbers in this case, the original post by Carnethy read

I'm sure it would be interesting to find out why an airline bases aircraft at one airport & not another?

Clearly referring to based aircraft and not actual seat numbers, and there are equal numbers of based aircraft at EDI and GLA for this peak summer period. I don't see where any other aircraft are going to come from now, because when the STN route starts all 5 aircraft based at EDI are going to be getting well utilised.

WOWBOY
29th May 2005, 16:21
Is the planned AMS service going ahead or not??

Sheep fancier
29th May 2005, 16:28
"So EDI has come from practically nowhere in the last 10 years to become a huge contributor to the Scottish economy and to the travel industry without the help of BAA? I think not...

Flyglobespan have huge plans, hopefully next year will see the first flights from ABZ and some more city destinations from EDI and GLA along with their first long haul ops (although obviously the Globespan company have a history) from GLA using a 772. So why not be happy that you were able to fly to PFO and let FlyGlobespan get on with their business?"

"BAA have not supported EDI"

Where have I heard this before?
:(

nivsy
29th May 2005, 17:01
Not quite the best forum for this....but it still strikes me when lots of countries can build new airports etc and have proper planning there should be one airport that can cover the catchment area of GLA and EDI. I can see only benefit from this but ofcourse it will never happen...shame i think.

Nivsy

EK-LHR-LGW-GLA-MAN-B
29th May 2005, 18:06
Why just because a service exists from GLA should it also exist from EDI?

keepitlit
29th May 2005, 20:44
SON WHAT ABOUT A BELFAST BASE!

I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE

RGDS k.i.l.

Carnethy
29th May 2005, 22:36
Belfast?? Ireland has Ryanair & Aer Lingus that do quite nicely thank you. Scotland really has only ever had Loganair. Lets face it, Air Scotland is not a Scottish airline. Yes there are smaller operators but Flyglobespan is the 1st major Scottish airline that I'm aware of (correct me if I'm wrong, please?)

I'm not saying that just as there is a specific route from GLA that there should be one from EDI, I just think that there is sufficient demand for this route (proved by load factors at GLA) that it would make some sense.

There is only 1 flight to Cyprus (LCA) from EDI with Eurocypria (seasonal).

GoEDI
29th May 2005, 23:13
I'm not saying that just as there is a specific route from GLA that there should be one from EDI, I just think that there is sufficient demand for this route (proved by load factors at GLA) that it would make some sense

This applies to a whole load of routes. Mr Darymple has been doing a fine job so far and I'm sure if they have a summer atleast as successful as last years then they might well convert some of those B738 options into firm orders for next summer and we'll see some B738s being brought into EDI with routes similiar to what GLA has this year if they are successful.

Carnethy
30th May 2005, 22:24
Well personally, I think Flyglobespan should consider the GLA routes as being applicable to EDI. There is big exapnsion planned (EDI is ahead in the running for a 2nd runway). If not, then this should be a message to the likes of First Choice, Thomson (sorry Britannia!) Thos Cook, etc.

I just don't understand why there are year round direct flights to the "Spanish" resorts, but none to Cyprus from EDI? It has overtaken Spain in leaps & bounds in popularity.

Maybe I'm in the wrong job - I should start an airline!? Lol

http://www.jetphotos.net/images/p/P5140029.JPG.49534.jpg.thumb

Just look at that tower!!

afterdark
31st May 2005, 01:42
There is more passengers in the leisure market in the west than the east, there are more political buisness flights in the east than the west, Flyglobespan are primarily a leisure airline hense more seats/aircraft based at Glasgow
and a small plus Q. how long will Ryanair stay at PIK when they have to pay any/greater landing fees. Maybe Flyglobespan have been planning for a longer time than we give them credit for.

Edinburgh based aircraft 733 G-OTDA , 734 OK-TVR, 736 G-CDKT.

Glasgow based aircraft 733 G-GSPN, 736 G-CDKD + 738's G-CDEG, G-DLCH and G-SAAW.

Scottish Flyer
31st May 2005, 10:05
In response to afterdark's question on Ryanair I would think a move from PIK to GLA highly unlikely. Cost base at Prestwick would remain lower than GLA - there is little direct competitiion at PIK and with much lower traffic levels quick turnarounds can be assured. Also Ryanair now have a maintenance facility at PIK. I understand some further new routes by Ryanair from PIK will be announced shortly.

GoEDI
31st May 2005, 12:35
hense more seats/aircraft based at Glasgow

Edinburgh based aircraft 733 G-OTDA , 734 OK-TVR, 736 G-CDKT.

You missed out the other 2 leased B733s based at EDI that operate for Flyglobespan primarily during the day. So just more seats at GLA. :)

kpiko3
31st May 2005, 15:18
On the RYR subject, I find it highly unlikely moving to GLA from PIK.

They said a little while ago they would be basing another B738 at PIK in October or possibly earlier.With a few new routes as mentioned.

Is there anything more on GSM with the supposed tx 777-200 servces and the twice daily service to AMS?

kpiko3

afterdark
31st May 2005, 15:22
ScottishFlyer
I did not say or mean in anyway that RYR would move from PIK to GLA , I was in fact Questioning in this current climate and the fact that GSM have been increasing substantially at GLA, whether RYR would stay at PIK when/if they have to pay any/greater landing fees when their current deal with PIK runs out, only to the fact that i suspect RYR would cut and run if they don't get what they want in my view.because they have a bargaining power in Europe now I don't believe there is many airports in Europe that wouldn't like them to start a base there ... .sorry if you misinterpreted what I meant

GoEDI
sorry didn\'t realise they had a further 2 733\'s still on lease to them based at Edinburgh what reg\'s are they ?....
I thought the older 2 had returned to and were now operating for (G-CELR Channel Express/Jet2) and (TF-ELN Islansflug) both still are in GSM cols though i believe at present moment.

GoEDI
31st May 2005, 21:17
The regs are G-CELR and TF-ELM which is in an identical livery to TF-ELN which isn't operating for Flyglobespan this summer. Both are B733QCs.

Carnethy
1st Jun 2005, 23:46
what a beautiful ship!

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=479855

Don't know about anyone else, but I can't wait to see the 777 fully logo'd up. Shame 777's don't have winglets eh?