PDA

View Full Version : Is the RAF still recruiting??

snobody
28th May 2005, 16:27
Sorry to bother you chaps and chapesses with a bit of an OASC question...
I'm at the very early stage of waiting for an OASC date and it's been AGES. I'm starting to get a bit worried I'm not going to get one! I heard a rumour that there are only 4 OASC boards running this year - can anyone confirm or deny this? How many people is the RAF likely to take on in the next year or so? Are the IOT courses for the next year full up already? Before anyone suggests I call my local careers office, I'm actually a Commonwealth applicant so don't have one to go to/contact. My only contact with the RAF is by post and it takes ages to get a response to anything. Besides, I don't really know how I'd phrase "errr...hello? I'm still waiting" politely!
Is anyone else waiting for an OASC date/recently got one? How long was it after your initial screening interview? BTW I'm applying for ground branch comissions, not aircrew.
Any advice/information gratefully received! :ok:

tablet_eraser
28th May 2005, 17:11
I attended a conference last year where Gp Capt IofR (highest-ranking officer in the recruiting world) told us the stats. With the reduction in manpower it is even more important that the RAF continue to offer itself as a viable career, hence the sudden burst of funding that led to the recent advertising. The stark fact remains, though, that in 2003/4 the RAF needed to recruit around 900 officers to maintain core manning, and in 2004/5 and 2005/6 this has fallen to around 300 officers. When the recruiting cycle stabilises in 2007/8, the RAF anticipates that it will again require 900 new officers each year.

The positive aspect to the reductions is that it enabled Cranwell to conduct a far-reaching study into a new IOT programme, with the result that from November it will employ a new, superior, 30-week course. This will enable the College to concentrate on its role as the seat of Air Power learning, thus ensuring that new officers have a far better grasp of AP theory than those of us who graduated from the 24-week course.

The negative aspect.... who wants to be absorbed into the Army?

Grimweasel
28th May 2005, 18:37
Am I to deem from this that my course that starts tomorrow will be 'Inferior' to the new one?
Am I better off being Back-squadded for a more relevant introduction to the RAF?
I would wait and see but I fear my time will be precious for the next few weeks at least!!!
Wish me luck! XX

whowhenwhy
28th May 2005, 19:22
Grimweasel,

The "new" 30 week course comes as a result of the finding that IOT graduates generally have no comprehension as to how to address WOs, SNCOs and junior ranks and the fact that they have little idea as to how the operational air force works and goes to war. So rather than cut out the rubbish that you don't need and cut down on the time taken to do the stuff that you do need (SERE guys do NBC in 1-2 days, IOT do it in 1 week), they though that they'd add on another 6 weeks to an already too long course to give you all the extra bits!

I think it's fair to say that anyone who's done the 24 week course was itching at the end of it to get out and do some real learning in the real air force. For goodness sake don't try and get back squadded for a more relevant introduction. Grit your teeth, learn not to disagree, get on with the course, graduate and be prepared to listen to people of whatever rank, branch trade etc when you escape IOT.

Just remember to have fun! Occasionally annoying, but you can have a good time.:ok:

Mach2
28th May 2005, 20:59
Snobody

Yes the RAF are still recruiting, and OASC is still running selection boards every week. However, as a Commonwealth applicant, processing your paperwork will take longer than for a UK based applicant, and you say you are in the 'early stages' of waiting for more information. Just be patient. If there was any reason for your application to be refused, you'd be told.

Aynayda Pizaqvick
28th May 2005, 23:17
I too was a commonwealth applicant and know the frustration of sitting around waiting for the next letter to arrive. However patience is a virtue... It took around 18 months from when I first applied to the start of IOT which included a self funded trip to selection at Cranwitz. Dont be afraid to ring up and ask though as for a time they were sending my mail to the wrong country!
Best of luck and if you have any questions then feel free to PM me.
AP

snobody
29th May 2005, 09:55
Many thanks for the replys.
Guess I'll just sit on my hands for a bit, although if it gets too long I might well chase it up to make sure my mail isn't going to outer Mongolia.
Cheers!

Neeps
29th May 2005, 14:11
How long have you been waiting for a date? 5 weeks here...

Branch preference is Pilot.