PDA

View Full Version : 2 Japanese Soldiers Found after 60 Years?

Bo Nalls
28th May 2005, 09:37
From the Daily Telegraph:

"Japan was transfixed by claims yesterday that two of its soldiers had emerged from jungle in the Philippines six decades after they were believed to have been killed in the Second World War.

Japanese diplomats travelled to the port of General Santos on the island of Mindanao to meet the men and confirm their identities but the pair failed to show up.

Tsuzuki Nakauchi was listed as ‘killed’
Nonetheless, the Japanese media confidently named them as Tsuzuki Nakauchi, 85, and Yoshio Yamakawa, 87.

Records show that the two were members of the 30th Division of the Japanese Imperial Army, which suffered heavy losses in the war's last months. Both were listed as having been killed."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, if this is true then, just think of the culture shock on their return to Japan after 60+ years.

sprocket
28th May 2005, 09:42
I bet they could teach Saddam a thing or two.

Parapunter
28th May 2005, 09:49
Disn't this happen once before? I recall Japanese govmt officials having to talk a soldier out of the Jungle, when he didn't believe the war was over:confused:

Val d'Isere
28th May 2005, 09:54
Imagine the salary arrears! :ooh:

Bo Nalls
28th May 2005, 09:59
Parapunter, you may be thinking of Hiroo Onoda (http://history1900s.about.com/library/weekly/aa120700a.htm) from 1974.

tony draper
28th May 2005, 10:13
One of them shouted
"Rooseveta eets shit!! dirty lanks!!"
:rolleyes:

Whirlygig
28th May 2005, 10:19
Yeah, and I just found another two Japanese soldiers; one underneath my ironing pile and the other in the back of the shed.

Cheers

Whirls

airship
28th May 2005, 10:35
nan Sony Walkman desu ka?

ShyTorque
28th May 2005, 11:50
Lucky there weren't any spiders then, Whirlygig.

I found a couple of soldiers in my suitcase once. They had Marmite on them - put there by my daughter who thought I might go hungry on my travels. Made a mess of me clean undies; I daren't wear them in case I had an accident and got taken to hospital - you know the old worry :ooh:

Whirlygig
28th May 2005, 12:10
I daren't wear them in case I had an accident and got taken to hospital
No worries on that account - the smell would give it away :yuk:

Marmite- food of the devil :mad:

Cheers

Whirls

Val d'Isere
28th May 2005, 15:24
I daren't wear them in case I had an accident and got taken to hospital - you know the old worry
Hospital nurse -- "What's this mess, then?"

ST -- "Err, sorry, a couple of soldiers got into me undies."

Hmm, I see what you mean. :}

ShyTorque
28th May 2005, 15:31
Yes - the excuse "Sorry about those stains and the funny smell; I've had a couple of Marmite soldiers in these undies" would be open to some interpretation, I fear. Especially in a military hospital.....

:uhoh:

allan907
29th May 2005, 03:18
I suppose that once these "sons of Tojo" pitch up we could always arrest them, try them for war crimes and then hang 'em. (Could probably also get them on a desertion/AWOL charge as well)

AerBabe
29th May 2005, 08:50
ShyTorque - you could always have licked your pants clean before wearing them...

ShyTorque
29th May 2005, 09:08
Oooh! That's disgusting! :yuk:

;)

AerBabe
29th May 2005, 10:56
Aww, thanks. :O

flying bizzie
29th May 2005, 17:13
I heard on the BBC news today that they have both been crowned the hide and seek champions of Japan:ok:

The Real Slim Shady
29th May 2005, 21:08
Well Mr Sony and Mr Toyota only want what is rightfully theirs apparerntly, so there really is nothing to worry about.

ShyTorque
29th May 2005, 22:37
Aerbabe - all these years, I've been waiting for a reply from you and when I finally get one all you can say, in so many words, is: "EAT MY SHORTS!" :ugh:

Doh! :p

Pontious
30th May 2005, 23:21
I heard one of them asked if Bryan Adam's 'Everything I do' (I'd do it for you)' was still at number 1!

:ok:

ShyTorque
30th May 2005, 23:47
One of 'em has gone back to Japan. On the way home he found a ticket for dry cleaning in his wallet, dating back to 1943.

To his surprise, on arrival in his home town, he saw the original dry cleaning shop is still there. He went straight in to claim back his WW2 army uniform. The lady looked at the ticket and said: It'll be ready one o'clock on Thursday!

And, do you know the first thing he said to his wife after all these years?

"Hi, shan't be long. I'm just popping out for a tin of WD40 for me bike...."

;)

PorcoRosso
31st May 2005, 12:15
Any update about it ?
I spent the night browsing the web to find more , only to read that nobody saw the 2 japanese . Officials are not ruling out the possibility of an hoax in order to attract japanese journos & curious in the Island;
Kidnapping being a common way of making money over there .
Personnally I feel very sad and amazed about this news . Sad because if it's true, it would mean those 2 lads would have wasted their lives ...60 years far from home, no familiy or friends left ...
If we consider the case of Oonda, who "surrendered" in 1974 and still alive in Brasil , at least he got a chance to have another life . But what could expect 87 years old soldier now ?
Amazed because if it's true, they are masters at survival and hiding .
Am sure their story would deserve a Movie .
What about POW & MIA in Vietnam ? I remember reading somewhere (10 years ago ) that US officials suspected the Vietnam may still have US Soldiers Prisoners of War over there ... Or am confused with another Stallone or Chuck Norris movie ?

;)