PDA

View Full Version : Co-enzyme Q10 - what does it do?

Chief Chook
28th May 2005, 07:55
I've recently been hearing a lot about co-enzyme Q10 as an anti-aging, anti-wrinkle supplement, but my search on the www indicates it's more of a heart (and possibly anti cancer) treatment.

Has anyone had any experience with Q10 from the "beauty" supplement aspect?

Where do they get it (the extract) from (animal or vegetable) ?

Onewordanswer
28th May 2005, 08:22
Q10 is an active ingredient of the human pancreas and is usually harvested from cadavers and treated to high levels to remove infection risks. Normally manufacturers source from reputable donor sites however some third world nations have recognized the market opportunities. This has escalated the risk not only of poorly treated product but dubious sources such as harvesting from executed prisoners etc.

AerBabe
28th May 2005, 08:46
Not to be confused with the Q10 effect. :E

Rainboe
28th May 2005, 09:16
The website I use to source vitamins says it is sourced 'primarily from fish & meat'. I don't know where it is 'secondly' sourced, but I would be very surprised if cadaver products were ever used for human consumption these days, especially since BSE and human growth hormone scares! Here is the rest: "The presence of ‘CoQ10’ is essential for the production of energy. It is also a powerful antioxidant that protects the body from free radicals and helps preserve Vitamin E, the major antioxidant of cell membranes and blood cholesterol. As we get older our bodies produce less Q10 and so taking a supplement can help to maintain our vitality."
I think you could probably do as much good ensuring you eat plenty of tomatoes and onions in your diet....and garlic, lots of garlic!

Jerricho
28th May 2005, 12:59
is usually harvested from cadavers

Would that be using a press or blender?

pipersfather
29th May 2005, 15:20
Q10 is an anti-oxidant. Works best when you have a balanced diet and take supplements of Vitamins A, C and E.

If you're too cheap to buy the pills, eating about 10kg of spinach should give you the recommended daily amount

:}

Onewordanswer
30th May 2005, 01:00
Doesn't seem to have helped Popeye much:confused:

Jerricho
30th May 2005, 01:20
Popeye?

He into all that hippy, alternative medicines and stuff.

For starters, he covers his dick in olive oil..........