PDA

View Full Version : Knives banned in the home

candoo
27th May 2005, 10:57
God help us!

LONDON, My (Reuters) - A group of doctors called on Friday for a ban on the sale of long, pointed kitchen knives which are used in up to half of all stabbings.

"Many assaults are impulsive ... and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available potentially lethal weapon, particularly in the domestic setting," Dr Emma Hern and colleagues at West Middlesex University Hospital in London said in the British Medical Journal.

Long knives were traditionally used to spear meat and lift it from the plate to the mouth but times and table manners have changed. When the researchers surveyed 10 chefs, none gave a reason why a long pointed knife was essential. Short ones were just as good.

A leading manufacturer of knives was also at a loss to say why long pointed knives were needed and admitted its designs are based on traditional shapes.

If a ban is enforced, the researchers believe it would reduce the availability of the knives over the next few years.

"We suggest that banning the sale of long pointed knives is a sensible and practical measure," they added.

Whaddya carve your Sunday roast with then?

Rushton
27th May 2005, 11:10
and the long pointed kitchen knife is an easily available potentially lethal weapon

As is a fist, as was the plate that my ex smashed over my head. Looks like its gonna be rubber knives in rubber kitchens eating off rubber plates ......

The world has gone barmy

Evening Star
27th May 2005, 11:14
Think you will find that this refers to research being carried out by some A&E doctors. The conclusion was that the tip of large knives serves no useful purpose (unless you carve the Sunday roast in a particuarly idiosyncratic way :hmm: ) and is the bit that does most damage in assault cases. Banning sharp tips on large knives would make life a bit easier at A&E.

Original British Medical Journal article (http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/330/7502/1221).

Nothing barmy to my reading, just a common sense look at a problem, and we do so like common sense here, don't we? :ok:

tony draper
27th May 2005, 11:16
From experience one knows it is possible to beat someone to death using a egg slice,it requires a bit of application but it can be done, ban them say I.
:rolleyes:

Onewordanswer
27th May 2005, 11:36
Common problems in the home that lead to injuries include:

Inadequate railings and banisters.
Unsafe storage of medications and other poisons.
Water heaters set at too high a temperature.
Firearms improperly stored or locked up.

Report found that although reports of children being accidentally shot or killed often make the headlines, only 49% of gun owners with children in or visiting their homes lock up their weapons.
:\

BenThere
27th May 2005, 11:37
Ban kitchen knives... I never thought of that. I like it. It's so...so...Euro!

tony draper
27th May 2005, 11:49
Wont bother them continentals, they eats with their fingers.

Rushton
27th May 2005, 11:52
they eats with their fingers.

And some continentals actually eat fingers:8

Jerricho
27th May 2005, 16:30
*Scratches head*

Can't see the logic to this one. As they say, they're easily available, but as Drapes points out, you can beat someone to death with an egg slice.

Nanny State, Nanny State..........

dmanton300
27th May 2005, 16:41
It's a fair point though. . the tip is pretty useless, unless you're one of those muppets who use the tip to seperate frozen burgers (in which case a trip to A&E beckons anyway!). All those funky chinese chefs on TV seem to use a big 'ole meat cleaver for ALL their slicing and dicing, no tip on them. Now, I'm not suggesting that you can't do big damage with a cleaver, but stabbing is more difficult, and if most of these assaults are "impulse" jobs then a stabbing motion does seem more impulsive than a slicing/dicing one. Nanny state-ism maybe, but it seems to have a sound basis in that doing this will not affect one's ability to prepare food, just one's ability to kill one's spouse in a fit of pique.

Grainger
27th May 2005, 16:51
Knives are far from the biggest killer in the home. DIY is a far greater menace...

From the DTI website: The largest single cause of deaths involve ladders (50 deaths). Many of the other injuries involve power tools and electricity.Power tools and electricity :E - always a fun combination !!

And every year several people manage to injure themselves on their clothing - so what's next - ban underpants ? :eek:

tony draper
27th May 2005, 16:51
They will take ones potato scraping knife over ones dead body, takes years to find a good potato scraper, the point of course is used, one plucks out the eyes in the spuds with the point, ones thumbs are good enough for gouging eyes out of err other things.

:uhoh:

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 16:52
I consider it a total disgrace.

I personally carve my Sunday roast by repeatedly stabbing it in a frenzied manner, in a sustained attack with the sharp end of one of my vast collection of knives.

Of course when ID cards are in, we shall have credits in order to go to a slot in one's High Street to receive a plastic roast dinner. It will have been GM'd, no sharp edges, low chloresterol, 5 units of fruit and veg contained therein etc etc etc.

Yawn.

What is the number to book flights to the Moon ?

Grainger
27th May 2005, 16:55
And if you think that's scary, have a look at what I found on the Health Education Board for Scotland (http://www.hebs.scot.nhs.uk/topics/statschart.cfm?topic=accidents&serialno=226) website:Death rates from accidents in the home, by sex, Scotland 1990 to 1999 :eek: :eek: :eek:

Somebody really should have told them . . .

scrubed
27th May 2005, 17:44
Speaking of power tools, the kitchen and self-abuse....

Has anyone seen the short-vids doing the rounds of a young filly enjoying the fruits of some enterprising young man's modifications to a common household blender?

Sort of reminded me of the drive mechanism on an old steam train, with the wheel going round and round and the other bit going back and forth and....

ExSimGuy
27th May 2005, 18:21
Yes, scrubed, An Engineer told me that, before he died - a-hummmm....

Got me thinking though - have a good selection of pointed knives in my kitchen, and you know - I don't use the point (I separate frozen - home-made - burgers with a blunt and more solid knife:cool: )

So there realy is no point in them (no, not intended;) )

I'd be happy to buy knives with rounded tips (but especially if they were Government subsidised - now there's an idea Tony :) )

As long as the initiative comes from the British Government, and not from our European Overlords!

(PS - "no axe to grind" ;) (UGH!) as I'm not married and don't live with anyone who I may, in the future, want to stab with a long pointy knife!!!)

PPS - Drapes - I agree - "hands off our potato peelers":oh:

scrubed
27th May 2005, 18:27
Are you saying you wouldn't still be able to pierce the heart of your beloved with the rounded end if it happened one night that she, yet again, had no dinner prepared for you after a long days toil and you had no choice left but to flip your gourd and reach for the nearest blunt ended kitchen knife and put your back into it.......???

You could stab him/her with a butter knife if you wanted. It's just that these others are much more attractive for those not wishing to herniate as they go temporarily insane.

Someone's just trying to keep themselves in a job with this crock of academia.

Next they'll be telling us to put corks on ya forks.

tony draper
27th May 2005, 18:55
Buggas will be wanting our chaps to have bayonets with blunted rounded ends next like a bunch of big feckin UN sissies.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th May 2005, 19:06
And of course it's impossible to kill someone by sticking a biro into their eye.

Oops! Better keep that one quiet or the airport security checks will get even more ridiculous....:rolleyes:

BenThere
27th May 2005, 19:14
You can still slit the throat or even behead a victim with the blade only, not using the tip. I saw it on TV.

Grainger
27th May 2005, 21:25
Reminds me of school - anyone else remember the round-ended scissors you used to get ?

Still didn't stop 'em stabbing each other with a pair of compasses mind.

Tinstaafl
27th May 2005, 23:34
We used to make great little lethal darts from the points from a school compass, an empty Bic disposable pen (those straight sided cheap things that leak if they're put in your pocket upside down), a stout rubber band and some sticky tape. The stronger the rubber band the better:

Separate the point from the compass & dissasemble the el-cheapo pen. Ditto the ink tube from the pen and its ballpoint. Stick the blunt end of the ex-compass point into the vacated ink tube to make a dart. Cut the rubber band then tape the ends around one end of the pen casing to make a rubber band powered barrel.

Insert the dart - blunt end to the rubber band - draw back & let fly.

**For the hard of thinking & other PC twits: Don't try this at home. Don't point towards people, animals, valuables or items that you don't want damaged. This construction guide is not a mandatory instruction that you must follow. If you choose to construct this device then you are responsible for your actions.

PS: On second thought......Forget the PC twits. If one manages to cobble together enough neurones to understand the guide we might lucky enough for the fool to top him/herself as a result of his/her efforts.

XXTSGR
27th May 2005, 23:36
OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! :( :{ :uhoh: :{

Tinny, please may I have your address for my solicitor? ;)

Davaar
28th May 2005, 00:12
There is precedent for the truncated knife. James III or IV or thereby made it streng verboten for any member of Clan Gregor to have a pointed knife. Couldn't get away with it today, of course. Violation of their inalienable human rights. They were known troublemakers. Rob Roy Macgregor and all that. Chip on the shoulder: My foot is on its native heath, and my name it is Macgregor.

Furthermore, it is proverbial that it taks a lang spune tae sup wi' a Fifer. Spoons should be banned in Fife and to Fifers visiting abroad from the Kingdom.

cosworth211
28th May 2005, 00:53
Im all for it.

Those big ole kitchen knifes are too easily obtainable for the yob/chav/hoody culture of today.

You can always cut yer meat with one of those electric carvers, stray more then a few yards from a socket with one of those and your out of action!

candoo
28th May 2005, 09:41
How else would one be able to remove crud from under the fingernails, tighten those devilishly small screws on me sunglasses, open fiendishly designed packaging of certain supermarket items - or more obtusely play that ridiculous game of seeing how fast you can jab the knife between your digits before the inevitable.

Check 6
28th May 2005, 10:00
"When knives are outlawed, only outlaws will have knives."

Check 6

:{

cyclicmicky
28th May 2005, 10:18
I seem to remember a case a few years ago when somebody was tried for murder, he had kicked a pencil into someones brain through the ear, does this mean an EU ban on pencils next, will I be able to carry a lethal pencil at work??
The grey matter is doing some boggling at the moment.
There are any number of utilisable items in any home to kill if one is of a murderous bent, we are after all descended from (common) cave dwellers!!
:E

tony draper
28th May 2005, 11:10
One begs to differ Mr Cyclic, we did not descend from Neaderthals,we did however have a common ancester.
All ones ancesters were dead common.

cyclicmicky
28th May 2005, 11:26
Ones present day mob are also dead common.
Was the Queen mum classed as a commoner for some reason?
She never seemed common to me, just a nice ol gal, with a pleasant attitude to all around her.
Shame about the rest of her family.
:uhoh:

criticalmass
28th May 2005, 12:44
When I asked doctor friend of mine what were the commonest items used for suicide, he replied "a knife and fork!"

Firestorm
28th May 2005, 14:59
They don't see the damage that cigarettes do to health in A&E: that's another department's problem.

Grainger: I agree that they ought to ban sex in Scotland: there's quite enough sweaties there already!

Politically correct euro-boolocks.

Standard Noise
28th May 2005, 15:24
Oh well, since I'm not allowed to use a sharp tipped knife I'll have to resort to using a butcher's block next time the MIL comes to stay.:}

Jerricho
28th May 2005, 15:37
using a butcher's block next time the MIL comes to stay.

I like the way your mind works. :ok:

Standard Noise
28th May 2005, 15:43
Well that's another industry ruined, those poor wee men who used to come round and sharpen you knives will all be out of work.
Remember them, no? Ah well, ask your Uncle Tony D. He must be old enough to remember them.

X-QUORK
28th May 2005, 23:21
Just a point of clarification for Jericho and Firestorm, who bitterly talk of the "Nanny State" and "Euro-bollocks", this is an incentive from A&E doctors, not the British government or the EU parliament.

Standard Noise
29th May 2005, 14:03
And all these A&E docs work for whom exactly?:hmm:

X-QUORK
29th May 2005, 15:03
They work for the NHS, hardly the government is it? Maybe you consider firemen to be members of the government also?:rolleyes: