PDA

View Full Version : Smoking, or not?

Hobgoblin
27th May 2005, 00:55
I recently stopped smoking and was wondering how everyone else who also stopped did it?

Allen Carr did it for me. Man's a genius.

Intercontinental travel is fun again.

reynoldsno1
27th May 2005, 01:03
That's good - getting someone to stop for you - like one of Douglas Adams' electric monks that do your believing for you.;)

I just stopped - threw the packs away (30 a day habit....). Nothing else.

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 01:20
I did it by simply wanting to - will power.

Started by identifying which cigarettes I actually really wanted.

I.e. Habit - after a meal, after horizontal dancing, having a pint etc
Analyse which of those cigarettes you actually wanted vs. lit up by habit and you are at least down by 50 %.

Then do the arithmetic. How much does it cost ? - stick the money that you would normally have spent in a jar.

Amazing how it soon mounts up and damn good motivation.

Hobgoblin
27th May 2005, 03:30
Man, I am impressed with you boys!
I tried the willpower method umpteen times and the longest I lasted was two weeks before I caved in and started puffing away again.

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 04:40
And of course when one ages, the horizontal dancing lessens (so I am told) so one must include this into the equation. The factor is variable.

Older = less horizontal dancing -= fewer cigarettes on my principle.

My Mathematics may be slightly flawed, however the principle is correct and solid.

henry crun
27th May 2005, 04:55
Hobgoblin: May I suggest that despite your numerous attempts to give up, deep down the desire to do so is not strong enough.

One day, but obviously not just yet, you will be able to say "Right ! thats it, no more" and stick with it.

Onewordanswer
27th May 2005, 04:58
And thats the same day they put him in a pine box..........anyway smoking is fun!:ok:

Simtech
27th May 2005, 05:06
I quit smoking when I didn't get them duty free any more (10p a pack in those days). I didn't fancy paying shore-side prices so I just stopped. :ok:

allan907
27th May 2005, 07:27
Imagination is far stronger than will power which is why so many people have problems in stopping. You imagine the pleasure of smoking and bingo! you're back on them again.

Try hypnosis. It works (I know - I'm a hypnotist - trust me!). It short circuits the sub-conscious mind into imagining that not smoking is better. Helps enormously with the will power.

UniFoxOs
27th May 2005, 08:04
Nicotine tablets (Nicobrevin, I think they were called). Came in a pack for about a month, seemed expensive (about 100 fags IIRC), left me feeling as if I'd just had a cig and wasn't ready for the next one, stopped taking them after a fortnight, never smoked since (16 years), still fancy one on occasions - after a meal, horizontal dancing etc...
Best of luck.

Onewordanswer
27th May 2005, 10:19
still fancy one on occasions - after a meal, horizontal dancing etc...
Coffee
with a beer
during lulls in conversation
because I don't like chewing fingernails/hair or snot
its fun to play with matches
its easy to annoy people
others think you're BAD :}

Confabulous
27th May 2005, 11:05
I agree with allan907 - I'm a hypnotherapist and NLP practitioner and would reccomend hypnosis as the best way. Willpower sometimes needs your unconscious to give it a kick the habit now.

Conf

lasernigel
27th May 2005, 11:06
Tried twice and actually managed 2 years then started again.
Had heart attack at 49...STOPPED same day never smoked since and don't even fancy one,even when surrounded by smokers in a pub.
Strong instinct is survival.:ok:

bear11
27th May 2005, 16:54
What is it about the Allen Carr thing? I suppose it's just jealously - if I had sussed that charging people mucho dinero to tell them "give it up, it's bad for you" works, instead of ignoring the same message dozens of times a day and on the packs of whatever you smoke, I'd be on a Caribbean beach dictating this, having my tubes cleaned - and smoking a cigar.

toothpic
27th May 2005, 17:01
Nicotine gum and will power, stopped last July, never looked back.

Kev

T_richard
27th May 2005, 18:50
Tried twice, failed each time. Waited a year, picke a week of travel with my kids and stoppped cold. After the first week, I just had to count to 100 when the urge hit me and I was fine. As someone said earlier, you have to want to quick more than you want to smoke. AND! You can never have another cig ever again for any reason Good Luck

Hobgoblin
27th May 2005, 19:20
Sorry for taking so long to respond and thanks to everyone for the good advice.

However, I have stopped smoking ( not given up ) and am not going to start again. Interesting thing though how many people stopped using the willpower method - I never could.

I read the book by Allen Carr and never looked back. If anyone out there is looking for an easy way to stop don't despair. Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop smoking will find you when you need it.

Is using patches or gum not just a different way of feeding the same addiction?

BenThere
27th May 2005, 19:21
I continue to smoke to ward off Parkinson's disease.

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 19:57
Good point, you have 'stopped' smoking.

Glad that you didn't want to give up and I apologise if I gave contracdictory advice.

We all stop smoking - until the next one.

Now where is my Zippo ?

Hobgoblin
27th May 2005, 20:28
Lost_luggage34 - No apology needed.

Reason I used the word "stopped" and not given up is that "giving up" has negative connotations and stopping smoking is a positive way of looking at it.

BTW has anyone ever wondered what Zippo lighter fluid contains? Naphta for one I'm sure. Great. I wonder what that stuff does to one's insides....

Hobgoblin
28th May 2005, 01:41
Read the book.

Took 8 hours to read it and I have no desire to smoke anymore. In fact Mrs Goblin refers to me as the Smoke Nazi when I get going on about it.

That book changed my life for the better.

A10 Thundybox
28th May 2005, 02:01
Buy some filterless gauloises-they are bl00dy awful, worked for me, sort of.

Little Blue
28th May 2005, 05:46
Gave up 3 years ago, but, 'cos I associated fags with lager, I ended up switching to bitter...3 stone later.......awwwwwww