PDA

View Full Version : A question about roundabouts

Onan the Clumsy
26th May 2005, 22:12
In the UK you have to give way to the traffic already on the roundabout, but in Jolly Old France, the opposite is the case...the roundabout traffic yields to the entering traffic.

...but...

...how can it?

I mean if it has to keep yielding like that, wouldn't it be just a question of time before the roundabout was full?

This has always bothered me. Does anyone have an answer?

Why do I feel like I have to get out my old Yes albums now :confused:

Jerricho
26th May 2005, 22:15
wouldn't it be just a question of time before the roundabout was full?

Have you ever driven around the Arc de Triomphe ......... I have :(

Lost_luggage34
26th May 2005, 22:17
You beat me to it Jerricho - my sentiments entirely !

I have also had the pleasure, many times.

At no time have I traversed it without observing at least 3 recent accidents with the resultant jesticulation in progress. :)

Astrodome
26th May 2005, 22:20
In the UK you have to give way to the traffic already on the roundabout, but in Jolly Old France, the opposite is the case...the roundabout traffic yields to the entering traffic That rule has now changed !
Priority is accorded to those ON the roundabout, as in the UK unless specified otherwise.

scrubed
26th May 2005, 22:21
(M) Onan, you seem to spend a lot of time pondering and worrying about the small things in life. Why is this......

If the frogs want to run their roundabouts backwards then who cares, man?????? WHO CARES???

I hope you take me off your ignore list and read this because I want to tell you I CAN HELP YOU, BROTHER....

Irreverance starts at home, my man.

We have a lot to talk about. PM me and we will get the ball rolling.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrzzzzzzz.........

El lute
26th May 2005, 22:23
Onan,
The general rule is that 'incoming' traffic has to yield to traffic on the roundabout. However, as for everything else in France, this means 'en principe' (in principle) and it seems that any municipality can decide otherwise.

edited to correct spelling

airship
26th May 2005, 22:28
Priority is accorded to those ON the roundabout, as in the UK That's not quite right...! Only if the roundabout has the warning triangle saying "cÚdez le passage - vous n'avez pas la prioritÚ" It's true that more and more French roundabouts have these sensible rules but... :uhoh: beware of the roundabouts that don't have any warning triangles, the old rules apply and keep a lookout for older drivers, who cannot learn new tricks...?! ;)

Skylark4
26th May 2005, 23:23
Traffic from the right has priority too,(except when it hasn't, as in "Cedez la priorite" above) so that you must always be ready for Pierre to exit the farm track in his vehicle onto the main road with no warning or hesitation.

Mike W

eko4me
27th May 2005, 03:01
And arriving in Dover from le continent it always amused me that the first roundabout - just outside of the dock gates - had a sign that read prioritÚ a droit.

Have also done the Arc de Triomphe in the mid seventies and witnessed the vehicular anarchy of five self blocking lanes. As a young teenager I marvelled at the insanity of it all. 'Twas nearly killed by Pierre pulling out into the main street of a small French village through which I was merrily pedding my bike under same insane rule.

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 03:15
I don't think scrubed has quite a sufficient grasp of PRuNe, let alone the intricacies of roundabouts, be it in the UK or elsewhere.

An early starter who has just passed the ATPL exams ? No I thought not.

Just an irritating prat who fails to wind.

Excusible (up to a point) but more suiTed to be driving a tug and throwing luggage about. (no offence to properly trained and operational tug/luggage handlers/drivers.)

:p

Now where is that ignore list ? I feel I need to add someone.

LL34

Solid Rust Twotter
27th May 2005, 09:28
Kigali, Rwanda operates on the same system. Have seen some of the most brain exploding traffic jams there.

ATNotts
27th May 2005, 11:17
Apart from the lunacy of giving traffic joining roundabouts the right of way, has anyone else noticed that the French, in company with most of our continental cousins haven't the first idea how to drive around them!

Lane discipline in Calais (from the French primarily) on roundabouts is just about no existent. Funny, though, that on Autoroutes, the same people knock spots of us Brits when it comes to lane discipline!

BenThere
27th May 2005, 11:34
In Napoli roundabouts are an absolute free-for-all. The proper etiquette is to never do the expected.

cyclicmicky
27th May 2005, 16:29
Having driven in France quite a lot, (we carried out a few contracts over there) I can honestly say that the French seem to regard roundabouts, traffic lights etc as advisory only.....espescially on the bloody perifique!!!
Grrrr
:} :E

scrubed
27th May 2005, 16:54
An early starter who has just passed the ATPL exams HAHAHAHAAAAA.....!!

Do you even know what ATPL stands for????

hahahahahaaa.....

Okay just give us the "A" then.

That's especially funny coming from an electrician.

And then there's :more suiTed to be driving a tug and throwing luggageHehehe.... with that name, sounds like someone's a failed baggage snatcher who never quite made it in the snatching game! Was that you in the camel suit, LL???

:p

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 20:09
Interesting attempt scrubed.

I don't wind so easily.

I am fully aware of what ATPL stands for.

Many of my closest friends are holders of said qualification. Would like to say family too, but that is not the case.

Remind me again, please feel free to wind simultaneously, of your own credentials ?

I seem to have forgotten, there sems to be an irritating buzzing in my ear.

I do apologise about that - but not very much really.