PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet at Farnborough?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th May 2005, 16:21
From a totally non-aviation resident of Farnborough I heard today that Easyjet had signed some sort of lease with the airfield.

Anyone know any more please?

Few Cloudy
26th May 2005, 16:48
Great Rumour - hope it's true!

Mark Lewis
26th May 2005, 16:49
The only time we have seen Easyjet here was last airshow when EZES was displayed.

Apart from that the closest relationship is their use of Lasham for maintenance, which requires Farnborough ATC for vectoring arrivals and departures.

Not heard of anything else though :confused:

The Sad ATCO
26th May 2005, 19:32
I would have thought that Farnborough going 'orange' would have been highly unlikely. Have the local district council, Rushmoor, not got some quite stringent restrictions on use of EGLF? I seem to remember that these were put in place as planning conditions when the aerodrome was civilianised. As a former resident of that beautiful borough (choke!) there were a lot of local objections to increased traffic levels at that time (NIMBYtastic). I believe that the final conditons of use included restrictions on any type of operation other than biz jets. Someone might be able to correct me on that though as I am no longer near enough to be able to enjoy a pint in the Prince of Wales.

Regards

Sad

P.S. Felicitations to the great EGLL director. Hope that retirement is keeping you busy. Keep taking the marmite.

norodnik
26th May 2005, 19:49
Very unlikely that Farnborough will expand (but not impossible)

The infrastructure is OK for a small airport, but if it had plans to be Stansteadesque, then a lot would have to change.

I lived there when the big campaign was on to restrict Farnborough operations (RAIN - residents against increased noise) and they were mainly sucessful in getting what they wanted.

Of course, XE531 ploughing into the barrier during the campaign only helped their cause with lots of scare stories about what if going around.

One lives in hope, but I think thats what it will remain

Farnborough Airport
27th May 2005, 07:30
I can confirm that there is no truth to this rumour. As the operators of the Farnborough Airport, TAG has signed a lease with Rushmoor council that strictly stipulates that Farnborough is only to be used for Business Aviation. The only time you will see Easy Jet at Farnborough is during the Airshow.

Chippie Chappie
28th May 2005, 10:14
Quite a large new terminal going up though, bearing in mind that it's just for GA, don't you think?

CaptAirProx
28th May 2005, 16:42
Gotta admit that I haven't been passed there in a while but this "new terminal", is this not the new sim centre being developed?

Mark Lewis
28th May 2005, 17:24
There is a new terminal being constructed, and a new sim centre already constructed, and being fiited out at the moment.

Biz movements wise Farnborough is getting busier and busier, a terminal that size is about right I would have thought, and gives some leeway for an increase on the cap of movements allowed in for the future.

AlanM
28th May 2005, 21:10
There is also a new hotel being built on the site.

(For the sim visitors etc)

Daifly
30th May 2005, 10:23
The EZY rumour has been circulating for about 12 months in Farnborough town, but it's not true. Bizjet movements are already creeping up towards the planning limit as it is (with movements for based aircraft only at the weekend to try to manage it).

The new terminal isn't just for passengers, the vast majority of it is for tenants' offices and judging by the amount of new companies which keep moving in then it will be full pretty quickly! The old new terminal (the portakabins) will go when the new new terminal (good descriptions eh!?) anyway reducing office space again a little.

A hotel is being built in the next 18 months on the east side of the airport.

Also, I can't think that TAG, who are very protective of their privacy (by that I mean the owners) would be happy to have EZY loading thousands of passengers on the airport with the ability to see who is arriving in all the bizjets - and I think the tenants might take the same sort of view! Ahem...

Torquelink
31st May 2005, 12:28
maybe Stelios is setting up easyfractionalbizjet.com?

:D

Mark Lewis
3rd Jun 2005, 17:37
A nice sight from my house this evening was an Easyjet 737 in the climb out from Farnborough. I believe it was on an air test, and just used the ILS for a bit of practice etc.

This will certainly add fuel to the rumour locally :)

AlanM
4th Jun 2005, 05:40
HD - little chance at the moment for easyland coming to EGLF.

Ace has the answer to the previous post here...... :)