PDA

View Full Version : Sound From the Edge

tony draper
26th May 2005, 15:31
Sound from the far edge of the solar system.
http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/voyager/termination-shock/Deep space recording

A US scientist has posted the sounds of Voyager One, the probe carrying a time capsule and greetings to other life forms, that were recorded as the craft crossed a turbulent boundary on the fringes of the Solar System.

The encounter was recorded by a plasma-wave instrument aboard the ancient spacecraft, which faithfully relayed the data back to Earth, where it was picked up by the antennae of NASA's Deep Space Network.

A snippet of the recording - a hiss and series of enigmatic clicks - can be heard
:uhoh:
Sounds like someone tapping to be in ter me

oops that link dont appear to work ,try this one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200505/s1377291.htm

con-pilot
26th May 2005, 15:51
Maybe there is someone banging on the hatch wanting to get in out of the cold.:D

scrubed
26th May 2005, 16:07
Maybe there is someone banging on the hatch wanting to get out of the hold....

Like a rocket scientist.

Or a chimp.

("A chimp's :uhoh: gonna make the first flight.....")

Astrodome
26th May 2005, 18:34
No its not an alien life form.

Its the sound of Man U fans sobbing at having won nothing this year !

There again, could well be alien life forms, after all most MU fans come from far far away !

handysnaks
26th May 2005, 18:49
Maybe it's Capt James T Kirk and his away team chipping away at the name plate.:cool:

Gouabafla
26th May 2005, 19:02
Am I the only one who thought that Drapes was going to ask about U2's guitar technique?

tony draper
26th May 2005, 19:36
Incidently for those peeps who blithley make statements like,"when we go to the stars" or "when we get to the stars" ponder the distance / timescale mentioned in that article, this object has been travelling out at a high rate of knots for 28 long years, and has reached out 14 billion miles , that means it only has another 26932 billion miles to go until it reaches the neibourhood of our nearest Stella neigbour, tiz easy when they do it in Star Treck and such int it?
but remember Warp Drive/ Worm Holes and such are the products of science fiction writers minds they are no more real than light sabres and are ever likely to remain so.
Personelly I think we talking monkeys are stuck in this little bit of real estate forever.
:(

airship
26th May 2005, 19:40
...the sounds of Voyager One And I always thought noone could hear you even if you screamed out there...?! :(

PS. I hope that whoever composed the piece checked the copyrights. The last thing we want here is to have some "Alien-type" lawyer acting on behalf of the Inter-Galactic Music Producers Confederation on our backs. Just wanted to get that one off my chest...

timmcat
26th May 2005, 19:41
Am I the only one who thought that Drapes was going to ask about U2's guitar technique?
Nope - I was convinced it was a Fender related thread!

flapsforty
26th May 2005, 21:01
I thought it would be about something emanating from his cellar. :uhoh:

reynoldsno1
26th May 2005, 21:06
No - but Bill Bailey's "Part Troll" show kinda blew that myth out of the water as well......!!

tubthumper
26th May 2005, 21:14
but remember Warp Drive/ Worm Holes and such are the products of science fiction writers minds they are no more real than light sabres

I always thought that,with the exception of "matter transporters" and a few others, the stuff seen in Star Trek is based in sound, scientific theory, at least....

....as any Trekker will tell you, Professor Stephen Hawking was on the set of Star Trek and was asked if warp speed was possible. He explained the theory behind "bending" space and travelling faster than light in considerable detail to an enthralled audience, until Patrick Stewart mentioned it was much easier than that: you simply have to say, "engage...."

tony draper
26th May 2005, 22:33
Well the idea of Warp Drive and Worm Holes did indeed originate with Sci Fi writers,some real scientists thought they would get their faces on telly and sell a few coffee table books if they did some sums that seemed to show it was all possibly or just might be possible,a bit like walking through walls making oneself invisible and killing goats by staring at em is possible.
:rolleyes:
Frinstance if we take three billion years worth of the energy output of a very energetic Star like that Sirius,feed it into two metal plates of infinite flat surface, held in perfect alignment a hydrogen atoms diameter apart, throw the switch and we might just produce a worm hole betwixt the two plates?, hell yes that would work, fit some wheels to the buggah and off we jolly well go.
:rolleyes:
One has become something of a cynic where interstella travel is concerned over the years,hell one has become a cynic over space in general we have been going backwards in manned space travel since the Apollo program, we got our bums wet then, now all we can do is dabble our toes.
One does not feel this about the robotic exploration of the solar system, that has been a great success.
Perhaps we just don't belong out there.
:(

Blacksheep
27th May 2005, 00:58
...enigmatic clicks... :hmm:

Interstellar travel is easy but the scientists are, as is often the case, tackling the problem from the wrong perspective. Time is a route dependent variable; to a photon arriving here from the other side of the multiverse, the transition would appear instantaneous.

All that is necessary then, is to find a means of altering the local value of t

Lost_luggage34
27th May 2005, 01:59
And there was me expecting to able to impart my knowledge about The Edge in the Alderley region of Cheshire.

Many a Wizard had lived in the parts, Witches too.

Some excellent former copper mines for those of us who enjoy a pot and a hole.

Standard Noise
27th May 2005, 02:01
Oh for goodness sake, it's only the Soup Dragon making the dinner.:rolleyes: