PDA

View Full Version : Turning left (ie right)

Onan the Clumsy
26th May 2005, 13:54
It's one of the things I'm really crap at in driving. You know the deal, you get to a light and you want to make a turn across the traffic (Left in the US and Right in the UK). I sit there and think "Oh that looks like a good gap" then I look some more and say "Yes it was...when's the next one?"

I must have driven some crap cars when I was learning or something because I've never liked to turn across the traffic. It's ok if I'm still rolling. I just hate to start the turn from a stationary position.

Am I alone in this irational fear?

eal401
26th May 2005, 13:56
No you aren't.

When I leave work, I have to turn right onto a main road that is very busy at 5pm. It would help if people actually did 30mph along it, but40-60 is normal.

teeteringhead
26th May 2005, 14:31
And while we're on turning, why can't Brits turn left (US turn right) on a red light, like our cousins can....

Onan the Clumsy
26th May 2005, 14:44
In Dallas, not only do they have Right on Red, they also have Straight on Red :ugh:

Actually Florida does have SoR I believe, but only on say a long straight road with a collection of roads goining on the left side only.

Thinking about it, Dallas does have Left on Red, but only when both roads are one way.

It's a great way to help increase traffic flow.

Septics 1 Limeys 0

flyingbee
26th May 2005, 14:55
I too have an irrational fear of turning right (I'm in the UK) on to busy roads. It would even impact on where I choose to live, and I would not live somewhere that requires an awful right turn to get to work everyday. I even take slight detours so I can avoid right turns without traffic lights or a roundabout.

I also have an irrational fear of driving up steep hills.I'm not so good at the clutch control!

flyingbee

Hoping
26th May 2005, 15:02
Ooooooo betty!

I have a fear of turning left, right and going straight on when there is another car in sight.

Going up hills and down hills scares be half to death too, it must be the fear of rolling away out of control.

I'm only content when I'm stationary on a flat road with no other vehicles in sight, in the passenger seat.

lasernigel
26th May 2005, 15:08
Onan Don't be so hard on yourself.If you can learn to drive in a town where you have to avoid trams, or at the Metropole hotel going up the tracks and following them you can't be all that bad.:ok:

Jerricho
26th May 2005, 15:13
Come and learn how to drive here buddy.

The locals can see gaps that don't even appear to be there. And the car they are pulling out in front of are always happy to honk the horn to say hello and flash their lights :rolleyes:

1DC
26th May 2005, 15:29
Got a double bo**ocking in San Antonio for turning right on red. First for turning right on red when the sign said you couldn't and second because the sign was written in english and I was from England. No ticket though, just a warning to "stay smart" for the rest of my time in San Antone..

topcat450
26th May 2005, 15:33
Onan grow some balls man. Put your foot down and just go. Stop thinking of the guy behind you and start thinking of who you can overtake next infront of you. :cool:

Onan the Clumsy
26th May 2005, 15:36
Onan Don't be so hard on yourself.If you can learn to drive in a town where you have to avoid trams, or at the Metropole hotel going up the tracks and following them you can't be all that bad So one time I went to see a mate of mine who lived up North Shore. It got late so I decided to drive home (to Marton). I pull on to the prom and I see, in the distance, fortunately...a wall of headlights.

"That's odd," I thought "It looks like all that traffic is coming towards me.".

I ducked off into the first sidestreet I could find and then I suddenly realised it was October...

...the illuminations were on and they'd made the prom North bound only. A few signs illustrating this important fact would have been a nice forethought. :rolleyes:

Rushton
26th May 2005, 15:44
It would help if people actually did 30mph along it, but40-60 is normal.

Makes no difference - still go for the gap. They will soon slow to 30 or less. It's a damn good way to see how many different hand (finger) signals are currently used by the British motoring public. It also helps to have a sturdy jack handle by your seat in case of disagreements - as I do

Jerricho
26th May 2005, 15:48
Ah Ruston, I see you are well versed in driving in the Boscombe area.

BenThere
26th May 2005, 15:49
A nice feature you see in most places in the US, especially California, is the embedded sensor which changes the light to green as you approach the intersection. It keeps the traffic moving and avoids long waits at the light.

Hard to improve on the well-designed roundabout, though. Pity we don't have many here.

Scumbag O'Riley
26th May 2005, 15:52
It's a great way to help increase traffic flow.

Septics 1 Limeys 0

Yeh, but the Yanks also have four way stops instead of roundabouts

Septics 1 Limeys 1

Rushton
26th May 2005, 15:55
Ah Ruston, I see you are well versed in driving in the Boscombe area.
Oh yes and Charminster - where its common to drive on the right it seems. Now out at Chavdom (Rossmore) - i like to live dangerously.

Jerricho
26th May 2005, 15:57
I used to live in Charminster.

So many bloody cars parked on the road, they may have well been designated one way streets.

dmanton300
26th May 2005, 16:27
Now out at Chavdom (Rossmore) - i like to live dangerously.
Used to be my patch, Rossmore. Never a problem there. Heh heh. . heh heh heh.

Any time I ever think I got a bad lot I just drive out to the coast road and look down those rolling green fields to the sea by Burton Bradstock and think "And they're paying me for this!"

reynoldsno1
26th May 2005, 21:20
Well, you if you like weird traffic rules, in NZ if you are turning LEFT into an intersecting road (we drive on the left), you have to give way to traffic that wants to turn RIGHT into the same road... ensures two streams of traffic are held up instead of one.

lasernigel
26th May 2005, 21:27
the illuminations were on and they'd made the prom North bound only. A few signs illustrating this important fact would have been a nice forethought.

Fortunately after 4 years Blackpool council had to admit this contravened the road traffic act and now traffic flows BOTH ways again.
Rumour has it(but not been there) that Boston is the only city with roundabouts.tho must admit saw a couple of the main streets in Dublin CA.Is this fact true or not??

airship
26th May 2005, 21:32
Yeh reynoldsno1, but in NZ you've also got roads which on the map look like quite major roads connecting important towns, only...when you get there they turn out to be gravel tracks! Great fun once you get the hang of them though...! :)

Milt
26th May 2005, 23:33
And some the above posters FLY!!!!!???

scrubed
26th May 2005, 23:35
No, none of them do. They're all blunts.

That's why the hang out here in JB.

:rolleyes:

Howard Hughes
26th May 2005, 23:50
Now Onan I have the perfect therapy for you, how about a weeks driving in central Melbourne!!

The only place I know where you turn right from the left lane at the lights. (thats left from the right for all the septics and people in EU countries)

How does this all work you ask? Well, when the lights go green, you move as far over to the left as possible, then you wait for the lights to go green on the road that you are turning into and proceed!!

If you dont get it right, you get cleaned up by a tram going straight throught the intersection!! That'll surely F:mad: k with your mind....:hmm:

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

Blacksheep
27th May 2005, 06:33
Here in the Land of Unexpected Treasures, at a road junction or traffic light, you may not turn right (or left) until until someone comes along the main road, then you must pull out in front of them and proceed at 40 kpm. Its something to do with forming the traffic into convoys and enforcing the speed limit. On dual carriagways they have a system of official "U" turn areas in the central reservation. These are to permit pulling across two lanes of traffic so as to slow them both down.

The accepted technique for negotiating roundabouts is to drive all the way round in the outside lane. Waving encouragement at the other drivers is optional, unless wearing Calvin Klein sunglasses and driving a Benz, in which case it is proper to ignore all other road users totally, at all times.

Green lights mean "Go"
Amber lights mean"Go faster, quick, before the lights change".
Red lights mean "Never mind, too late, better keep going-lah".

MadsDad
27th May 2005, 08:16
Lasernigel there is (or was anyway) one roundabout in Kansas City.

When a couple of us went there on business our local contacts took us on a sight-seeing trip and took us miles out of the way to show us the roundabout.

Solid Rust Twotter
27th May 2005, 08:53
Welkom, in the Orange Free State is infested with roundabouts. The locals can often be seen cruising round these things while checking each other out on a Sunday afternoon. Used to be a good place to meet girls a few years back before the advent of television as well.

Fortunately things have changed... allegedly.:rolleyes:

AirNoServicesAustralia
27th May 2005, 09:07
HH, the funny thing is though that the famous Melbourne "Hook Turn", where as you said you pull off to the left to wait for the pause between light changes to turn right, work really well when everyone who knows what they are doing do them. It's when you get the banana benders down on holiday that it all turns to shite. It's all because of the trams and keeping out of their way.

Now if you think driving in Melbourne is a handful, please, please, please catch taxis if you ever come to the Middle East, because while for me having been here 3 years now, driving is fun, for the uninitiated the random unindicated erratic violent lane changes will send you round the bend, literally.

So anyone saying the driving is bad in their Western town or city, spare a thought for us over here, where the white lines on the road are only a rough guide to where the lanes are, the speed limits are to tell you the absolute minimum speed you should go, and where people love their children too much to restrain them in seatbelts and instead allow them to hang various body parts or complete body in some cases out the sun roof. It really is a sight to behold, but lots of fun!!

topcat450
27th May 2005, 09:17
There was also one single round-about in Clearwater FL lasernigel last time I went. locals hadn't got a clue how to use it properly though. :rolleyes:

Windy Militant
27th May 2005, 10:08
Pah Yer all a bunch of jessies!
I'm off to cycle a few laps on the Magic roundabout just for fun!:ooh: :eek: :ouch: :} ;)

Avtrician
27th May 2005, 10:17
Here in Oz, i have just heard that we have four colours of traffic lights (altho youcan only see three).
They are Red for stop (how unusual), Orange for get ready to stop (or go faster)
Green for go, and Stale Green ( that state at which the orange is about to go on).