PDA

View Full Version : Grob 109 or Vigilant

NDB
26th May 2005, 13:24
Well if it has a max AUW of 908kg, cruise at 100kt (a bit more if your lucky!) and a VP prop (okay only 3 stages!), including 4+ hours worth of go-go juice.

Why do the CAA call it a TMG? I'd like to see a C150 with that performance!!!

I've heard some talk lately that tha CAA will allow all the hours in your logbook to count towards the 150 needed to start a CPL, however you still need 200 SEP or greater to claim it! Can anyone confirm this?

Does anyone know any gossip? Or have any ideas who to talk to?

NDB

PhilM
26th May 2005, 13:32
Have a read through this post mate:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=165855

BEagle
26th May 2005, 14:15
From LASORS Section D1.2(D) referring to flight time credit towards a Modular CPL(A):

Note (iii): 30 hours as pilot-in-command in touring motor gliders or gliders (including Vigilant).

This would indicate that you may only receive credit for a maximum of 30 hours PIC time on the Vigilant TMG.

Future Pundit
26th May 2005, 22:17
NDB

I have just had an e-mail from the Policy Section at CAA (SRG) regarding this issue. It took 6 weeks to get a reply, but I got one in the end!

As BEagle points out 30hrs may be credited. I then became slightly confused between old CAA documents, JAA documents and current LASORS.

The response from the CAA states that I may:-

1. Count 30hrs gliding (or TMG) as part of the 200hrs required for CPL issue.

2. Count those 30hrs as part of the 150hrs needed to start a modular CPL course.

3. 100hrs PIC SEP for CPL issue.

In other words, you can have 120hrs SEP (PIC or PUT) plus 30hrs gliding to start the CPL course.

For a CPL issue the minimum is 100hrs PIC SEP plus 30hrs gliding (or TMG) plus 70 hrs SEP (PUT) making a toal of 200hrs.

I hope this simplifies things. I will copy the text from the CAA if you require when I get home.

NDB
27th May 2005, 20:08
Thanks for that.....

I'm glad its not only me that finds this CAA/JAA crossover thing confusing!

Future Pundit
27th May 2005, 22:19
Here is the response from CAA

Firstly, the 30 hour credit for PIC in gliders applies only to the minimum 200 hours flying experience required for CPL(A) issue. The credit does not apply to the 100 hour PIC requirement on aeroplanes.

As you are entitled to the 30 hour credit, this can be deducted from the 150 hours experience requirement to commence a CPL(A) modular course i.e. 30 hours PIC gliding time + 120 hours hours of aeroplane time = 150 hours minimum to commence the course. There is no minimum PIC requirement to start the course but we would advise you to have most of the PIC time completed so that you do not have to worry about skill test/exam validities whilst trying to complete any shortfall once you have completed the course.

Regards

Simon White
Policy Section
PLD"

So there it is, from the horses mouth so to speak.