PDA

View Full Version : London Eye

ORAC
26th May 2005, 07:26
Guardian:
Mayor may take control of Eye

Ken Livingstone revealed yesterday that he has drawn up contingency plans to take control of the London Eye, thus safeguarding the future of one of the capital's most iconic landmarks.

The mayor of London intervened to end speculation that the giant wheel may have to move because of plans by the landlord, the South Bank Centre, to greatly increase the rent. Mr Livingstone said if the Eye and the landlord cannot reach agreement, he has powers to take control of the land through the London Development Agency........

Addressing the London assembly, Mr Livingstone said the loss of the Eye would be damaging to London, particularly as the French have expressed an interest in moving it to Paris. "It may very well be, if matters can't be resolved soon, we would have to move very quickly to a compulsory purchase of the London Eye," he said.

Perhaps I am too deeply cynical about such matters after the revelations about what happened behind the scenes over the Railtrack renationalisation. But this whole situation seems like a set up to allow the Eye to be taken away from BA.

London - twinned with Moscow......

Vankem Spankfaart
26th May 2005, 09:20
Said London Eye was only built as a temporary structure. I believe it was only supposed to be there for 5 years to celebrate the millenium, surely it's fair for the landlord to "revisit" ground rent after the 5 years is up.

The Eye is now such a feature of the London skyline I think it should remain but it'll cost a fortune to maintain such a temporary structure.

In a similar vein; the Eiffel Tower was originally built as a temporary structure, they even nearly pulled it down in 1909 :confused:

V

Devlin Carnet
26th May 2005, 11:33
If thine eye offend thee...pluck it out.

tony draper
26th May 2005, 11:39
They knew how to build temporary structures in the old days.
Saying that, one Once erected a temporary pole line alongside a golf course, told the chaps up the pole not to bother pulling in the catenery very tight as it will be down in a few weeks, its still there thirty three years later,complete with drooping spans.
:rolleyes:

phnuff
26th May 2005, 11:49
Did you know that in the 1880's, Sir Edward Watkin, then Chairman of the London Metropolitan Railway, set out to build a 350m high tower in Wembley, but it only got to 61m in height before they ran out of money. !!Now that is what you call a temporary structure,

MadsDad
26th May 2005, 13:05
If you are talking about temporary structures and you've never seen my DIY shelving you don't know what you're talking about.

(And if you did see it you were bloody quick).

Jerricho
26th May 2005, 15:55
If Red Ken is taking over it........is it going to be referred to as a red eye?

(Sorry)

tony draper
26th May 2005, 16:13
They could lie it on its side change those glass box thingies for wooden horses, and use it as a merry go round.
Lateral thinking thats called.

Dr Illitout
26th May 2005, 18:51
I've heard that Tokyo want's it. They have be no shortage of people wanting to see the Japs eye.

Rgds Dr I

tony draper
26th May 2005, 19:19
Tokyo had a copy of the Eiffel Tower when I was there, this was in the olden days of course, twas still glowing a bit in the dark then.

Davaar
26th May 2005, 19:29
The Eiffel Tower itself was built for an Exhibition in 1889, and I recall reading somewhere that it was intended as a temporary item.

The Palace of Engineering from the British Empire Exhibition at Bellahouston in Glasgow, 1937 or thereby, was reassembled at Prestwick, where it housed Scottish Aviation certainly as late as 1972 and I expect still does house British Aerospace. It contained some of the original desks too.

tony draper
26th May 2005, 19:50
They held a exhibition and created a public park here at the time of the Great Exhibition at the Crystal Palace, this still remains and a temporary building constructed at the time was the Newcastle Science museum until recently ,that has since moved but I bellieve the building is still there and is now a privately owned millitary vehicle museum.
A temporary building called a kiosk was moved across to my side of the river and stood in my park for many years as well.
Like I said they took their temporary building seriously in those days.
The Crystal Palace itself would prolly still be serving a usefull function had it not burned down.
:cool:

Blacksheep
27th May 2005, 05:40
All stuctures are temporary.

In a mere 247,334 years, yonder pyramids will be reduced to small hillocks of sand.

...I mean, you should have seen the first shopping mall in Australia when Ayers finished building it.

Onewordanswer
27th May 2005, 06:00
is it going to be referred to as a red eye?
Better than brown eye

Loose rivets
27th May 2005, 06:15
The Crystal Palace itself would prolly still be serving a usefull function had it not burned down.

My mummy watched that burn down....or up. :sad:

Standard Noise
27th May 2005, 08:17
Surely all Kenny baby needs to do is put a CPO on the land itself rather than on the Eye. Then he can rob BA for 2.5 mill a year in rent.:confused:

tony draper
27th May 2005, 08:24
Alus puzzled one as to how a structure manufactured from glass and cast iron manage to burn itself to the ground.
:confused:

Standard Noise
27th May 2005, 10:25
Psst, Drapes, we could take a drop of paraffin to the Eye and put the idea to the test, that'd stop the frenchies gettin' their grubby little mitts on it.:E

tony draper
27th May 2005, 10:31
Worry not Mr Noise, twill never fit through that dammed tunnel.
:cool: