PDA

View Full Version : J O's R330,000 cadet scheme

jbayfan
26th May 2005, 07:04
Can you believe this guy! I heard yesterday that he is charging co-pilots R330,000 for 600 hours in the right seat of a Metroliner. They say he has 13 pilots signed up but only two aircraft. Do these 13 suckers really think that they will get jobs with a reference from J O. And that if they ever get the 600 hours they have paid for. The man has been kicked out of almost every airline he has ever worked for! So now he is pulling a money making scam on desperate pilots.

south coast
26th May 2005, 07:11
is this guy like the afrikaans version of jamie oliver?

:D

Solid Rust Twotter
26th May 2005, 07:37
Thought both the Metros were suffering from *ahem*, damage. Not sure what they're going to use to build those hours....

Gunship
26th May 2005, 08:13
Is this J O, long tall and skinny ?

About 38 years old. Light hair (and fading) ?

Ex SAAF ? Pupes course about 85-86 ?

Cheers,

Gunzzz

propdriver
26th May 2005, 14:16
What really sucs is that the CAA who has the responsibility in regulating the industry just sits back and charges ever increasing administrative fees, shouldnt they control this sort of scam???:confused:

maxrated
26th May 2005, 18:03
Prop driver....... good point but what is more alarming is that this man in question is actually a grade 1 designated examiner......and he runs what has got to be the most half-arsed slap shod operation in the country, if my memory serves me his company has been responsible for 3 hull losses in 2 years.

1 x Mt kenya,
2 x George Airport

I am reliably informed that these cadet pilots , with a mere 200 hours total time, get a dodgy 1.5 hour conversion , initial turbine and type ratings, signed out by himself, which may be a mitigating factor in his operations appalling saftey record.

Additionally aircraft maintenance seems equally dodgy, missing flight folio's and crew being forced to fly way out of MEL.

Nothing that the old 'Broederbond' connections at SACAA couldnt turn a blind eye to however.

Additionally if one does the maths properly I suspect that he would not even have to make a cents profit on the air cargo operation as 13 pilots paying 330 000 each could cover the complete cost of operating a clapped out unmaintained metroliner for an entire year.....and still have lots over for a house at Pecanwood Estate...what a great way to make money.

A' Luta continua !!!

Shrike200
27th May 2005, 09:12
Regarding one of the hull losses into FAGG: Having chatted at length the the PIC of the flight regarding the accident (both crew were lucky to have survived!), I firmly believe that the accident can be attributed to this policy. The inexperienced FO (who was PF at the time) allowed the situation to degenerate following a bird-strike induced engine failure at night on final approach, to such an extent that a landing was no longer possible and a go around had to be attempted. Naturally, the aircraft was loaded quite heavily, and the go-around (while possible on paper), was not viable. The PIC was nailed by a few people for not making the runway, but having chatted to him, his decision to go around seems to have been the correct one, given that the angle of bank had become quite large, and that the aircraft was no longer on centreline. 'No centreline integrity' was the term I believe an SAA pilot used describing the accident. Had there been an experienced FO at the helm, its possible (I would even say likely, but I wasn't there) that this situation could have been saved.

I believe this accident shows this policy of hiring people with inapropriate experience, who have to pay for their ride for what it is: A serious compromise of flight safety, for no benefit other than that of the operators bank balance. This lesson should be taken to heart by ALL operators who choose this policy. They won't of course, but anyway.

Ttailed
27th May 2005, 09:56
All I can say is that this is an absolute shame !!!!

That such an a@#%&$e can get away with such crap, can anyone confirm that Charlan was also in on the act with their Metroliners ?

Tt

jbayfan
27th May 2005, 11:51
I don't think Charlan had a similiar scheme going. Alan was too much of a stand up guy to rip off desperate pilots and he also had pride in his operation and the safety thereof.

Gunship
29th May 2005, 09:47
So does he fit me description ? :E

jbayfan
29th May 2005, 20:02
Gunship, I do not think it is the same person. He is not that skinny and looks much older than 38, probably closer to 45 to 50!

Gunship
29th May 2005, 23:44
Oh ok - cheers mate :ok:

Cessnafan
30th May 2005, 14:48
I heard C was doing a similar thing with the 120's ? I'd hate to hear it was true, they had a good reputation at one time.
I think what Johan is doing is complete bull****! Some people bust their buts to raise R200 000 for a com and then have to fork out more just to get a job! Absolutely appalling

nyathi
30th May 2005, 15:21
Guns, that's him that you talking about. What's more is ZS-OJH the one Metro is now standing without an engine at George Airport and they now use a King Air 1900 for there cargo haul. Who knows what's happening in that operation. I really feel sorry for those young inexperienced and for the matter experienced pilot's who whants to make a future in the world in aviation. GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU!!
Shame!!:yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

orgasmotron
31st May 2005, 18:51
C ? Heard a rumour that the boss there flies the embraer as P1 with only SA CPL. Apparently another skipper then has to occupy the jumpseat so that he can technically be P1. Surely this can't be true.

jbayfan
1st Jun 2005, 10:35
Folks, C is literally out of business as an operator. All their aircraft were repo'd and the two EMB120's now belong to E M.

Moose 9
3rd Jun 2005, 08:10
As far as I understand Executive Turbine is now doing all of Charlan's schedules to Mozambique using their own 1900's and crew, and I also heard that Executive Turbine is also doing the freight runs now between JHB BLOEM and GEORGE, due to the metro's not being operational also with their own crew and 1900's.

Ttailed
3rd Jun 2005, 10:09
Ja Alan was such a "stand up guy" and "took pride in his operation" what a joke! Is that why his company is still around ? Concerning safety I am sure a 30 minute EMB120 rating is safe.

Tt

SebasW
5th Jun 2005, 10:50
About a year ago I was almost dragged in to this scheme of his and I pulled out just after the groundschool. It's gotta be the most pathetic scheme ever run and I have to admit back then I was desperate like any other pilot who will even consider this option.

The operation out of Jo'burg is as dodge as your gonna get and that is why the one metro went down in George. As far as I know he has ony one left now flying the FAJS-FAGG route.

A word of advice... When you talk to Johan, he makes the whole deal sound incredibly tempting promising you you will be airline material when you walk away from there, which sounds very tempting for a new aspiring pilot, but STAY AWAY!

A word of advice to all low timers out there, just hang on, your break will come and once you're into a REPUTABLE company, you'll be much better off.

Q4NVS
5th Jun 2005, 18:04
I am gonna make this short, because I do not have enough time to share all that I know...

I know a number of guys (10+), who are in or went through this scheme, so I guess I also have a good idea of what I am talking about.

Buy 600hrs, spend 2 years to get a 100 etc. But once your money is paid (cash), it's gone! If you can't afford to hang around and wait for those hours, well then "Come back when you are ready..." There are numbers waiting in line.

What is sad (really sad), is that ALL Airlines in SA know him.

Word of advice (to the desperate): Just about ALL of these Airlines won't EVER consider employing one of Johann's famous Cadets - So, you are buying your way Out of a Career in SA.

BEWARE!!!

I think it is about time that SARS (or even Scorpions) are onto him, if they are not already... One of these days he is also going to saddle the wrong horse, and could end up on Carte Blanche.

In closing RE: Charlan Air - They were in on the deal (both SW4 & EMB120), run by Johann's Skyvest (or is it SkyCrooks).

Just my 2 cents worth - hope this saves someone a lot of hardship and possibly a career in SA!

:yuk:

TooBadSoSad
5th Jun 2005, 19:48
There is a strong rumour out there that O's new outfit, Sky Haul, is the front runner for the Post Office contract and that SAA and Safair have been eliminated as contenders. Does anyone know anything about this as well as anything about Convair 580 freighters that are apparently going to be used?

Jetdriver
5th Jun 2005, 21:16
Please folks ! A general reminder about the use of real names on the forum. If they are already in the wider public domain then that may be fine. Otherwise refrain. It doesn't matter if we are talking about Atilla the Hun or Mother Theresa the same rules apply.

SebasW
6th Jun 2005, 07:59
Hi Jetdriver,

I agree with you 100% but I think this should not apply to this particular person. I strongly believe that pilots should look out for their own but he, being a experienced pilot himself, is out to make a quick buck of a new aspiring pilot and in doing so he is destroying a potentially great young pilot's career and bank account. This is just plain wrong!

jbayfan
6th Jun 2005, 10:34
Jetdriver, there are many posts in these forums, probably thousands, where names have been used because that is the only means of referring to situations. Why pick on just this one to change the names to initials? This guy is well known in South African aviation but it for those who don't know him and are about to get scammed that this post was meant for. I urge all who have read this post and know who J O is, to spread the word about what you have read in this post and maybe you will save someone a few hundred thousand Rand and probably their career and even their life!! Email me if you need the guys real name!!

High69
7th Jun 2005, 00:59
Sebas (Vissy) and jbayfan.

I couldn't agree with you more gent's. This guy should face the music and his day will come.
If we may be afforded the opportunity to expose his shenanigans, we invariably provide invaluable knowledge to potential aspiring pilots and are indubitably doing the right thing. Surely we owe it to ourselves to look out for each other? After all, he look's out for no1!

PPrune endows us with one of the best mediums to do so. An exeption to the 'rule' in this case is perfectly justified in my opinion.

I take comfort in the expression; "Poetic Justice"....

Staalburger
4th Jul 2005, 00:17
And The Lord said:" Let there be Justice for all"

Now people, sit back, and wait for The Hammer to Fall

A very goodevening to you all

ramondphillips
4th Jul 2005, 15:47
Convair 580 is now in use by Skyhaul, also saw a few recruits busy with their ratings the other day. Saw a few very K..K landings, maybe thats what happens when you do a slam dunk rating!

Whats to happen in our world!:{

SebasW
4th Jul 2005, 16:24
An old saying comes to mind:

Every DOG will get his day!!! :mad:

beckers
5th Jul 2005, 13:29
My Two Cents

The Cargo operation did use E.T. 1900's for a few weeks. They were at first crewed by E.T. pilots until J.O. converted his crew (all in one weekend apparently). Since then he has leased a Convair from a Cape Town company (Aircraft and maintenance only), until his convairs are on line. Apparently they have got the whole postal contract and there will soon be about 7 Convairs flying around. Apparently these aircraft are acutally in existence and are almost ready to come over.

Firstly they couldn't load 2 1900's on time, the chances of loading 1 convair on time is probably zero. Never mind the paper trail. It would not be hard for CAA to find serious discrepencies and deficiencies in that operation. (Just look at the oloe extension)

From what I understand the Convair is a busy aircraft. To have fairly inexperience crew operating these aircraft may be asking for trouble.

Bottom line, start using email, and don't expect your post to arrive.

Oh well.

wheels up
6th Jul 2005, 02:15
uhhemm: Every dog has his day

beechbum
6th Jul 2005, 08:10
Checked out one of the Convairs this morning out of PE.....which also did an aborted take off!!!!. Umm wonder what that was all about? ATC asked the man in question (no names mentioned) how many Convairs they were operating? Apparently as many as seven are on their way here,apparently ex- DHL contracts in Europe or so it was said.

SA Fred
6th Jul 2005, 13:31
Yeah, it appears all 13 were converted to the 1900 on 26/6/05 in about 4-5 hours flying at FAWA. One could check the tower logs at FAWB for the arrival and departure times of the 1900 that day.

Woof etc
7th Jul 2005, 00:53
Amazing how quickly a type rating can be completed when the DE has a financial interest!

Whenwe
8th Jul 2005, 05:45
CAA Flight Operations Inspectors: are any of you guys reading this thread???

If not, why not.

Just a couple of route checks, ramp checks etc and you should be able to nail this operation if all the accusations are true.

Or have you not got the expertise anymore to do a route check?
ww

maxrated
18th Jul 2005, 14:06
I am reliably informed, that the 1900 conversions in question which were conducted at Wonderboom/Warmbaths consisted of 15 pilots aboard a cargo configuered aircraft with no seats for 13 of the guys to sit on, ( which rule was infringed here ?), furthermore the conversion consisted of 3 touch and go's for each pilot at Warmbaths airfield but each candidate logged a 1.5 hour conversion for the CAA records.

Even the most seriously previously disadvanteged CAA inspector , if he did the sums correctly, would note that 1.5 hours of flying per pilot would equate to 19.5 hours of flying time in a single training sortie, which would mean that even the most flamboyantly creative flight planner would have trouble getting these numbers to work out, not to mention the FDP implications for the instructor. ( ?????), but it would seem that these little accounting formalities are not beyond J.O.

Considering the above mentioned facts, lets cast our eyes forward to Skyhaul's up and coming operational forthcoming attraction with the Convairs and cadets.

Its safe to assume that we will shortly witness some seriously undermaintained aircraft , operating with seriously inexperienced and inappropriatly rated crew, at night, into statistically one of the most dangerous/hazardous airfields in the country after some very creative FDP planning.

Surely the alarm bells and flashing red lights should be sounding at CAA right now ?????

:confused:

Gunship
18th Jul 2005, 14:45
Surely the alarm bells and flashing red lights should be sounding at CAA right now ?????

It's Monday after the school holidays ... I pressume they will only be in next week ;)

Seriously : Gents this is the type of trap that I am trying to avoid for the good lady NOT to fall in.

Tx - we will keep our eyes open :ok: