PDA

View Full Version : R/T Discipline

Centre_Expand
25th May 2005, 23:34
I recently followed the USAF thread and found myself reading the BaseOps forum. Here's a topic close to my heart that made me laugh:

I can think of one for starters; how about the comedians who start, punctuate every other word and then end their transmissions with "aaahhh.....";)

Onan the Clumsy
26th May 2005, 15:13
Oh...apparently I misunderstood the title of this thread :(

teeteringhead
26th May 2005, 15:26
Might get siy247 back then .....;)

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2005, 15:28
How about "Got some new weather for you . . . if you are interested."

Only increasing the FOG and changing the recovery!

Centre_Expand
26th May 2005, 15:48
siy247's thread was the funniest I have seen for ages. Perhaps he should have his own forum. Anyway it's just discipline he needs. Can you imagine him loose on the airwaves... :ugh:

Tink Master
26th May 2005, 19:39
:hmm: Anyone that starts any transmission, in fact, any sentence with

"be advised....."

should be shot.

In the stomach

and suffer a long and painful death.

Or apply to the USAF I suppose.

exleckie
26th May 2005, 19:47
I can't stand it when people say "Roger and out"

Who the hell is Roger and are they now out of the closet?

SASless
26th May 2005, 20:05
Ahhhh....be advised....ahhhhhh..... when I say Roger Dodger you old Codger....ahhhhhh....gotcha covered....10-4 and all that....over and out! I really mean Wilco.:E

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2005, 21:15
And his father, Roger Wait Out!

SilsoeSid
27th May 2005, 07:12
For me, "Roger - Out" and "Roger Wait-Out" make sense, what I don't understand is the logic behind, "Over and Out".

Best bit of 'VP' in a movie?

'Wild Geese' ;
Enemy Radio Operator, "hasgd fgsdgh fhjk fh opoq eorpitqp op, Roger Out"

Best reply heard, "You have been Rogered" :ooh:

tablet_eraser
27th May 2005, 17:59
Pet hate in fighter control. The way that single words can be expanded into many words (squeezing an inch of information into a yard of words). As in, "be advised that MAGIC73 is taxying at this time."

WHAT THE HELL OTHER BLOODY TIME DO YOU THINK YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT??????

How about, "MAGIC73 is taxying". It's not fecking difficult, is it?

I do like the (apocryphal) story about a pilot/FC who's been an utter pain in the arse and starts berating the FC/pilot across the radio. When he's finished, he recieves the reply: "Hello Pot, this is Kettle. Confirm black, OVER"

:hmm:

Inspector Dreyfuss
27th May 2005, 19:21
True story circa 1993:

"Neatishead you are clipping your transmissions".

"oger".

The reply was unfortunately caused by ineptitude rather than the wit of the controller.

ADIS5000
27th May 2005, 20:28
tablet_eraser, you are getting grumpy in your (not so) old age!

Regards, ADIS

US Herk
27th May 2005, 23:55
what I don't understand is the logic behind, "Over and Out".

Over means, "I have ended my transmission & expect a reply"
Out means, "I have ended my transmission & do not expect a reply"

So it would seem a bit contradictory at best, eh?

Be advised, (sorry, couldn't resist) many of our r/t terms stem from days past when my grandfather was flying & radios were large heavy boxes that generated a lot of static & may or may not be useful in transmitting messages between two stations. I find Over/Out useful on dismal HF or SATCOM/Secure Comm even (where tonal inflection is lost).

We've got some other doozys - some of my pet peeves from our radio room:

"Request to know" - just ask me the fecking question!
"Interrogative" (usually follwed by "request to know"!) - Just ask me the fecking question!

And the omni-present - "Be advised"
:yuk:

airborne_artist
28th May 2005, 11:36
Heard that the Green Machine couldn't keep their paws off the PTT during Eagle Strike last week.

They even managed to give the GR of the "downed" AH in clear while the recovery team was still 30 mins away.

ProfessionalStudent
31st May 2005, 13:31
"Hello Zero, say again all after GAS GAS, Over":}

Onan the Clumsy
31st May 2005, 14:31
Anyone ever read that joke about the crew who got marked down on their evaluation for non standard intercom use?

Apparently it went something like this:

"Ok Johnny she's yours"

"'k. Gimme five left and slow her up a bit"

Prior to their next ride they had concocted a fiendish plan where all their conversations were along the lines of

"Pilot to Bombardier over."

"Bombardier to pilot go ahead over."

"Pilot to Bombardier, I am giving you control of the aircraft for the duration of the bomb run over."

"Bombardier to pilot, roger. I am assuming control of the aircraft for the duration of the bomb run over."

etc etc

Damn it. I ended up typing so much I might as well have searched for the original joke :}

6Z3
1st Jun 2005, 07:56
..and what is the difference between "Roger" and "Wilco" Bloggs?

That's easy Sir, you can't Wilco a cat.

Pierre Argh
1st Jun 2005, 14:27
Is it me? Why have the Fleet Air Arm started using the term "floating callsign"... as in "en-route to a floating callsign"? I know they mean a ship, and if its got radio and can accept aircraft onboard... then I'm guessing in all probabability... it's a warship.

Another Americanism I hate is using "mikes" instead of minutes e.g. "ETA 10 Mikes"

Itsrainingagain
1st Jun 2005, 17:06
Pity us poor air traffickers who have to try to figure out what the heck you all mean!!!

Flobadob
1st Jun 2005, 19:33
We must not forget Civvy air traffickers who waffle for Britain because they have plenty of time to talk bo**ocks.

Likewise Spam pilots tend to talk crap too. Here is an a example of such a crap conversion-

"Garlick46 would like er after the er low approach to go around and er circle to 24 for the option then request diverse vectors back to er Liberty and a handoff to er Lon Mil for a GCA at Lakenheath for the full stop.

Cheers Mr Septic Tank, clear for that manoeuvre, squawk 7000 and have a nice day!:cool:

Wwyvern
1st Jun 2005, 19:59
Not sure if this is the correct place to tell this.

Early 80s, outbound from ABZ to offshore facility in S61. Two other helicopters inbound, and ATC tells one, "I've just had a pop up. I think it's a bunch of geese."

Ist inbound replies, "I think you'll find that geese come in flocks."

2nd inbound adds, "I think you'll find that they come in gaggles."

My co-pilot can't contain himself, and bursts out, "And if they come in tins, they're fois gras."

Had to be there.

teeteringhead
2nd Jun 2005, 08:20
Pedantic Git Mode ON

Geese are gaggles when on the ground, skeins when in flight.

Pedantic Git Mode OFF

incubus
2nd Jun 2005, 08:46
no, when in flight they are buggers.

ORAC
2nd Jun 2005, 09:16
Warship = GFL. :cool:

Arm out the window
2nd Jun 2005, 10:43
Oy teeteringhead, best leave that hat ON, considering you even knew that alleged fact about airborne geese! Must be a little-known term; everyone knows the 'gaggle' bit, but the only skein I've ever heard of is a skein of wool.
Go on, did you make it up?
Having said that, I'll happily stand corrected if it's true.

PS: Wouldn't it be more correct to say that ganders come in geese?

teeteringhead
2nd Jun 2005, 11:40
From Chambers 21st Century Dictionary skein noun 1 a loosely tied coil of wool or thread. 2 a tangle; a confused bundle of things. 3 a flock of wild geese in flight. However....PS: Wouldn't it be more correct to say that ganders come in geese? Brilliant!!:ok:

Pierre Argh
20th Jun 2005, 14:36
tetteringhead

A bit of history (?) for people like you....

Who lead the Pedant's Revolt?

Whom Tylor

...but that's gettting off of the subject!

Onan the Clumsy
20th Jun 2005, 15:42
R?T Discipline...

...is that where they post the frequencies in the phone boxes in the main line stations in London?

EESDL
21st Jun 2005, 07:24
Orange Whip?

at this time...............................................