PDA

View Full Version : C-130J "Climbs like a Rocket"

Razor61
25th May 2005, 14:12
American Forces Press Service

5/24/2005 - LITTLE ROCK AIR FORCE BASE, Ark. (AFPN) -- Here at the "Home of the Herk" -- the affectionate nickname for the C-130 Hercules aircraft -- there is no ambivalence about the new "J" model.

The C-130J is the latest addition to the C-130 fleet, bringing state-of-the-art technology to the tactical cargo- and troop-transport aircraft that has been in the Air Force inventory since 1954.

The J-model's future had been in question when the Pentagon initially acted to cancel the program, but Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld restored it to the fiscal 2006 budget request in early May.

Secretary Rumsfeld's decision got a resounding "thumbs up" from crews that have flown the C-130J and can barely stifle their enthusiasm for the new plane.

"From a pilot's perspective, this aircraft is just phenomenal," said Lt. Col. Jeffrey Blalock, who has been flying the J-model for three years. He is the acting commander of the 48th Airlift Squadron here, which began offering formal training on the C-130J in February 2004.

The standardized program, with a dedicated cadre, replaces unit-level conversion training, which had initially been offered on the aircraft since it first entered the inventory.

Sitting on the tarmac, the J-model does not look much different from earlier-generation models. It is 15 feet longer, which gives it the capability to carry 36 more troops or two more pallets, and has six rather than four blades on each propeller.

But step inside the cockpit and the differences are clear. The J-model features a streamlined instrument board, digital avionics, a heads-up display and state-of-the-art navigation systems.

The heart of the system, a mission computer, handles many of the functions crewmembers once did manually. During an emergency, for example, these systems "will tell us about a problem and correct it or take care of it before we can even take out the checklist," Colonel Blalock said.

These systems are so automated that they have eliminated two of the five crewmember positions on the C-130: the navigator and flight engineer.

The J-model, with more horsepower than previous C-130s, "climbs like a rocket" on takeoff, Colonel Blalock said, a big plus when leaving a high-threat area. It also flies farther at a higher cruise speed and takes off and lands in a shorter distance than older C-130s.

"The engines and props give you tremendous power and capability," Colonel Blalock said.

While raving about its power, Colonel Blalock said one of the best features of the J-model is the increased situational awareness its glass heads-up display panel provides.

"It tells the pilot everything that's going on in the airplane, but also lets you look outside the aircraft so you know what's going on around you," he said.

In addition, an enhanced cargo-handling system improves loading and unloading operations.

"It's way, way more user-friendly, like it was designed by a pilot," said Capt. Jill Browning, a 48th AS instructor.

Captain Browning said she was "initially very skeptical" about the J-model aircraft, but became a believer the first time she took the controls.

"It's amazing how much more capable this aircraft is, and the situational awareness it gives you is just awesome," she said.

"We're pretty excited about it, and we absolutely love flying it," Captain Browning said. She said that with so many crews here flying E-models and H-models of the C-130, "we try not to sound too enthusiastic about it so it looks like we're gloating."

"Going from those planes to this is an incredible leap," said Maj. Dave Flynn, an evaluator pilot for the 48th AS’s C-130J training course. Major Flynn has flown both the E-models and H-models.

The J-model "is an awesome airplane," he said. "I love it."

"It's a great airplane," said Capt. Mark Suckow, who has been flying the J-model for more than two years with the 815th Airlift Squadron at Keesler Air Force Base, Miss. "I sure wouldn't want to go back to another plane."

Captain Suckow, who initially received unit-level conversion training on the C-130J, is now here attending the 48th AS’s J-model course.

The squadron currently has three aircraft for training and officials expect to get four more by year's end.

The J-model initially went into production in 1997, with the first models going to the United Kingdom and Australia.

Air National Guard and Air Force Reserve squadrons were the first U.S. units to receive the C-130J aircraft. The first J-model went to the active Air Force in April 2004.

BEagle
25th May 2005, 15:32
The J-model, with more horsepower than previous C-130s, "climbs like a rocket" on takeoff.....

That'll be Stephenson's Rocket, one presumes?

Carbide Finger
25th May 2005, 15:36
Beagle,

At least the Hercs off Lyneham can now make FL180 by KENET without a tour of the west country!

Wappy Tupper
25th May 2005, 16:00
At least the Hercs from Lyneham are getting airborne, which I've heard is more than the WC10s do these days! :=

P-T-Gamekeeper
25th May 2005, 16:18
Oh dear, I think we know where this ones going!

It does go up like the proverbial though.

Any a/c that can climb quicker than it descends gets my vote.

Art Field
25th May 2005, 17:12
I like the bit about having time to look outside the cockpit at the world. Does that mean the rest of their Herc fleet are so busy on the dials that they do no lookout ?.

BEagle
25th May 2005, 17:53
'M*** Bar' and I paxed back from Gander in a Herc once after a visit to Patrick AFB - the downside after leaving the K3 at Patrick and having a few days staying at the Hilton and talking with AFTAC was having to go back to UK via Gander on a Herc.

When we left Gander, the D-Cat 'captain' was still drunk (they were still out at the pizza place in Gander at gone 0100 with an 0700 take-off having been drinking since around 1900); he went to sleep as soon as the a/c was airborne. The so-called Training Captain in the RHS (later pinched for illegal low flying) flew the thing and talked on the radio. Nav did Nav things (including endless paperwork), Eng did Eng things (including endless paperwork). For at least 30 minutes (I timed it) not one of the buggers looked out of the window....

That was back at the end of the '80s. Hopefully that crew was an exception to the norm and things are different nowadays, Art Field.

P-T-Gamekeeper
25th May 2005, 18:05
Bet you've never done 31 mph in a 30 have you Beags?

Not sure what that post had to do with climb rates.

This is the reason walking freight should stay in their allotted seats whilst I enjoy Lobster Thermidor at the front.

The Gorilla
25th May 2005, 18:28
Oh dear yet another C130J versus the good old K thread in the making.

This particular wheel comes round faster than my train wheels!!

:O

BEagle
25th May 2005, 19:03
My response was on the subject of visual lookout, PTG.

I was frankly appalled by the rank amateurism of the crew I was flying with; on departure from Patrick in flat calm conditions the a/c was bouncing around all over the place. When I saw a hotel go by through one of the cargo bay upper windows, I knew why. My colleague (on the flight deck for departure) told me afterwards that the crew had decided to 'say goodbye' to some girls in an hotel bar at 50ft along Cocoa Beach. The same girls who they'd taken flying illegally on an earlier occasion......

The behaviour of that particular bunch of cowboys went well beyond 'doing 31 mph in a 30' as you quaintly seem to consider it.

Wappy Tupper
25th May 2005, 20:21
Still, don't suppose WC10 crews have that problem, as they so rarely fly these days!

OBNO
26th May 2005, 00:45
Beags

If you new the Captain was still "drunk" for his duty why on earth did you get on board? I assume you put in a Safety Incident Report when you got back.

BEagle
26th May 2005, 06:23
Had I known his state before we took off, I would certainly have mentioned it. But I only found out once we were in the cruise as I was down in the dungeon for departure.

Had a word with my boss when we got back, he spoke to his oppo at Lyneham. What happened thereafter, I don't know.

Anyway, back to the thread. Climb performance for the A400M carrying 17 T of trash on a 3000 nm sector is claimed to be FL310 in less than 30 minutes. Hardly rocket-like, but it will then cruise at M0.68 at up to FL370.

Navy_Adversary
26th May 2005, 07:42
I once had a ride on the U S Navy Blue Angels C-130 with a JATO. How does the C-130J compare with the old model for this type of departure, I think Fat Albert is in JATO mode for around 12 seconds, not sure what height they reach in that time.
I guess that the C-130J has a similar performance without the 8 rockets.

Snapshot
26th May 2005, 08:43
A couple of 'snaps' of the sexy aircraft
over the Severn Bridge
http://www.avcollect.com/C130J_ZH889.jpg

http://www.avcollect.com/01_18c.jpg

Regards
Snapshot

Fence-sitter(?)
26th May 2005, 10:27
Beags
Very sad that you choose to read a complimentary post about one of the RAF's (very rare) new and shiny toys and drag up a beef from 20ish years ago. - Please move on!

All fleets have had their misfits. People refusing to obey legitimate direct orders (FITNESS TEST!!!). Flight commanders allowing unqualified passengers to land their machines (with other pax onboard) - resulting in Draconian changes to GASOs. Cowardly refusals to go into 'interesting' destinations... One could go on.

Ultimately my point is why did you choose to turn a complimentary article into a public dishonouring of the AT fleet?

By the way didn't LM sponsor a race from brakes-off to 1000ft between the mighty J and an F18?

teeteringhead
26th May 2005, 11:16
a race from brakes-off to 1000ft between the mighty J and an F18 I remember a race from brakes off to 10000ft between an F-4 and a Chinook at MPA .......;)

BEagle
26th May 2005, 11:23
Fence sitter - it was a comment about look-out originally - and I'm sure that particular crew was an aberration and that the rest of the force wouldn't behave like that nowadays......

Wasn't that race originally between a FJ and a Wessex or something? Parking brake on at 1999ft, brake off and up to 2000ft in a bat of an eyelid? Old age and treachery versus youthful enthusiasm?

Wappy Tupper
26th May 2005, 11:39
Well I could mention several 'aberrations' of Lion crews down South, but I wouldn't drag myself that low.

Back to the thread... yes the J has an excellent climb rate and the aircraft is working well, despite what those who know little about it think. :yuk:

Fence-sitter(?)
26th May 2005, 12:14
Beags

Erm, so your useful comment regarding a story about C130J rate of climb was that a C130K crew, almost 20 years ago had a 30minute lapse of lookout during a long Oceanic leg. Oh, and that you observed the Nav and Eng to be doing their jobs IAW SOPs!

I am not trying to endorse alcohol/flying proximity or illegal low-flying by the way.

I suspect, and hope, that the reason you have no more dung to throw in the EGDL direction is that you haven't been invited onto a flight-deck since.

Please move on.

VitaminGee
26th May 2005, 13:27
Spapshot, if you find a C130 sexy, does this make you a "Chubby Chaser"?

VG

BEagle
26th May 2005, 13:42
Do give it a rest, FS.....

Last time I was on a C130 flight deck was just before the 2 Gp opening fly past. For 'they' had decided that we needed to see the route prior to the flypast itself as we were due to lead an E-3D and a (very new then) C130J. The captain had requested a RAS in the holding area (?) and the frequent changes in heading etc weren't making the nav's job very easy. But we (the '10 Nav and I) were dead impressed by the way the C130K nav sorted out speed and heading to compensate once we set off for the IP. But as luck would have it, cloud prevented the recce and the crew knocked it on the head.

teeteringhead
26th May 2005, 14:13
Wasn't that race originally between a FJ and a Wessex or something ..been done many times and places and with many types BEags ... these FJ mates just never learn!

Very nearly managed it once as Huey vs Hunter ... but they realised we didn't have any brakes....:(

truckiebloke
26th May 2005, 18:09
beagle, i just cant understand why you left the vc10 fleet so early!! It must have been your popularity......

ZH875
26th May 2005, 18:42
Anyway, back to the thread. Climb performance for the A400M carrying 17 T of trash on a 3000 nm sector is claimed to be FL310 in less than 30 minutes. Hardly rocket-like, but it will then cruise at M0.68 at up to FL370.

CLAIMED - We await with baited breath to see if the A400M EVER gets to validate any CLAIM.

At least the J Flies - Not Fast Albert for nothing.

Mobile Muppet
26th May 2005, 18:50
"At least the J flies"

Well not according to the pan at Lyneham where 1/4 sit U/S.

BEagle
26th May 2005, 19:00
Yes, the 'J' does now fly. As well it ought to by now, Mr Lockheed!

Fairly obviously, we will have to wait until the A400M flies before learning whether it meets its performance statements. Incidentally, for those who are interested, http://www.airbusmilitary.com/ gives current details. You might note a slightly redesigned fin and tailplane and also the unusual fact that outboard propellors rotate in the opposite direction to the inboards.

Oh - and truckiebloke, thank you for your valued contribution... :rolleyes:

Guy Willesley
26th May 2005, 19:33
No-one can argue that the avionics, performance, NVG compatability etc from LM are world beating, something the A-400 will have a hard (but not impossible) time beating. The problem?
In addition, an enhanced cargo-handling system improves loading and unloading operations. We didn't get the decent back end offered by LM. We thought we'd make it 'backwards compatible' (or out-of-date). Ever seen in the back of a RDAF 'J'? Add in taking 2 years to clear paint for carriage as freight, 5 years to clear CDS etc never mind the Boscombe Down luvvies trying to introduce pointless trim warning sytems, a total lack of understanding regarding external fuel tanks and RVSM and we've ended up with a remarkable platform that's been practically tied to the ground by red tape.

Almost makes me want to get involved in procurement - but not quite!

Lockstock
26th May 2005, 20:47
Mobile Muppet

Yes, and it would be even less if the Muppets would stop breaking the fcuking ramps!

;)

Mobile Muppet
26th May 2005, 20:57
Lockstock

ah ha nice bite !

Perhaps you should get back to work and get those ramps fixed !

ZH875
26th May 2005, 21:31
Mobile Muppet

"At least the J flies"

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meaning that 3/4 fly, or put another way

At least the J flies.

Always_broken_in_wilts
26th May 2005, 21:36
He can't spot the bleedin obvious methinks................It's probably why he's a muppet:E

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

ZH875
26th May 2005, 21:57
I wanted to be a muppet:O:O:O, but I passed the exam.

ACW599
26th May 2005, 22:08
>At least the J flies<

Three of them in trail flew low over my abode (SJ 3315ish in LFA 9) at about 1315 today on a northerly heading. Lovely sight and sound -- more please!

teeteringhead
27th May 2005, 07:11
(SJ 3315ish in LFA 9) Ah ... that'd be the dedicated helicopter user area LFA 9 then ....

... wonder where they thought they were...

Always_broken_in_wilts
27th May 2005, 07:58
If they were J's I guarantee they knew to within a few meters of exactly where they were:p, however I do concede that if they were K's it's a good chance they were lost :E ..............but more importantly, teeters you girl:rolleyes:, what self respecting SH pilot is going to be affected by Albert roaring by at 250'.......or have things changed that much since I was lucky enough to escape :p

all spelling mistakes are "df" alcohol induced

16 blades
27th May 2005, 17:31
OOH, bitchy!

LFA9 is not just for exclusive use of helos - have used it myself a number of times (with clnc).

Our nav kit is just as accurate as the J's.

16B

ACW599
27th May 2005, 18:29
>LFA9 is not just for exclusive use of helos - have used it myself a number of times (with clnc).<

I see quite a few FJs and C-130s transiting my bit of LFA 9, together with assorted non-Shawbury rotary traffic. Last years' low-level highlight was a Nimrod R1, of all things.

>Our nav kit is just as accurate as the J's.<

In that case, please insert SJ 328150 and mind the antenna . . . or ask EGOS for Field 24 if you're rotary.

KPax
27th May 2005, 18:38
Yes it is correct that LFA9 is a DUA but anyone can use it if they book 1st. But why would you want to with all those rotary things climbing from and falling into the many fields that they use. Secondly I cannot remember more than a 1/4 of any model of C130 being seviceable at EGDL in the past 6 months.

fatter albert
27th May 2005, 19:48
KPax...

Why do you think that is? The Centralised Engineering at Lyneham thread has really dried up of late...

truckiebloke
3rd Jun 2005, 18:40
16blades....

not trying to start an argument, but i thought the k only had single ins/gps? if so, it is not as accurate as the j as that has twin, especially if one should fail..

as i said, not a 'j' v 'k' thing, just a question!

average pilot
4th Jun 2005, 13:09
Having 2XGPS/INS does not make the J any more accurate as only one is used directly as the Nav solution. The whole thing is only as accurate as the GPS, i.e. as accurate as the americans will allow it to be. The big difference is not having the smell of p~ss to distract the pilots.:ok:

Biggus
4th Jun 2005, 18:59
So it has now become a J vs K thread, but at least it took 3 pages.....!!

Always_broken_in_wilts
4th Jun 2005, 21:05
How has it become a J v K thread.........average was only stating a couple of fairly obvious facts:E

all spelling mistakes are 'df" alcohol induced