PDA

View Full Version : SAS Movies

Ontariotech
25th May 2005, 14:00
Just wanted to see if there are any other movies I have missed on the SAS.

The Final Option (aka Who Dares Wins)
Bravo Two Zero-Sean Bean

These are the only 2 I am aware of. Are there any more? Or any well put together documentries?

Cheers.

airborne_artist
25th May 2005, 15:06
Try asking here (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewforum/f=43.html)

BillHicksRules
25th May 2005, 15:09
OT,

It depends on your required level of accuracy.

The BBC did a good series on the SAS and its techniques recently, I am trying to remember what it was called.

It had several ex-members in it.

Another reasonable show is Ultimate Force. It is not 100% accurate but it is not bad. The first series was actually co-created by Chris Ryan (who appeared in the first episode).

Cheers

BHR

k1rb5
25th May 2005, 16:01
(who appeared in the first episode)

and the second and the third.............................http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/sexy_smilies/3.gif

360BakTrak
25th May 2005, 16:09
Think it might have been 'SAS..........are you tough enough?!'

Bob Viking
25th May 2005, 16:15
The BBC documentary about the Iranian Embassy siege is a very good watch as well.
Not sure how to get hold of it though.
BV

Tourist
25th May 2005, 17:29
Imagine my disapointment when I realised this was nothing to do with the mighty whistling chicken leg.:{

Talking Radalt
25th May 2005, 18:44
Another reasonable show is Ultimate Force. It is not 100% accurate but it is not bad. The first series was actually co-created by Chris Ryan (who appeared in the first episode).

It's not "100% accurate but it's not bad"? :uhoh:
Too right, it's less than 1% accurate and it's fecking laughable!
Anyone who thinks otherwise has no Earth-bound idea about miltary operations in general, never mind the sneaky stuff.
It's Grange Hill with guns.
Although Ryan was in the first few episodes, I find it very hard to believe he genuinely co-created such utter bolleaux. Maybe you mean he "Got paid loads of cash to put his name to it, thus giving it some faux-authenticity"?

The follow on to "SAS: Are you a Publicity-Seeking Egotist Enough?" was "Secrets of the SAS" IIRC, and both featured 'ereford 'ardman Eddie "I've got a tough Glaswegian accent" Stone, who no doubt has a dog called "Semtex" or something. :rolleyes:

WE Branch Fanatic
25th May 2005, 19:26
I believe that the scene in Whoops Apocalypse where Rik Mayall leads the team rescuing Princess Wendy is considerably more accurate than Ultimate Farce.

tablet_eraser
25th May 2005, 19:27
I have sources who tell me that the SAS generally hate Chris Ryan, Andy McNab, et al. Such transgressors of the Service's tradition of secrecy and esprit di corps are usually viewed with a combination of derision, distaste and disgust. A bit like jobsworth MOD-plod persons, I suppose, but with stronger feeling...

Apparently Ultimate Force is "a nice bit of escapism with bollocks all to do with the Service apart from that tw*t Ryan" (attributed to a Capt earlier this year).

So there we go.

airborne_artist
25th May 2005, 21:39
I've heard it referred to as "Ultimate Farce"

wildwolf
25th May 2005, 22:02
BBC did a reasonably accurate documentary series about the Regiment roughly 6-7 years ago called "SAS - A Soldiers Story",
It's repeated quite often on BBC3 or some other Sky/Cable channel.

ww

stiknruda
25th May 2005, 22:30
Wasn't it General de Billiere who first started writing about all the "secret squirrel" stuff... surely he should be pilloried more than the McNabs and Ryans, rhip, etc!

Stik

BlueEagle
25th May 2005, 23:22
General de B is no longer welcome, (or so I hear), at SAS functions, anymore than anyone else who breaks the required code of behaviour for serving and ex members of the SAS.

Not the best written book in the world but an interesting read is 'The Eye of The Storm', written by ex- RSM(SAS) Peter Ratcliffe DCM who served twenty five years with the SAS. Ratcliffe disputes the authenticity of a lot of what McNab and Ryan have published as their account of Bravo20.

Pilgrim101
26th May 2005, 07:41
Something satisfying about a bunch of civvies wandering around in DPM playing "hard man" games and eating beetles, led by grasping wa:mad: rs who are legends in their own lunchtime. Lovely wind up though.
:E

And B20 was a glorious clusterf:mad: k

Pontius Navigator
26th May 2005, 08:19
There was Vietnam War film that featured the Australian SAS. This showed them mainly in camp but deployed on a regimental basis.

It particularly pointed up the difference between well trained professional soldiers trained in jungle warfare and conscripts. It had nice touches such as the now obsolete can opener hanging from the tent roof or the rubber band around the ubiquitous zippo lighter to stop it falling out of your pocket.

Before I am rhubarbed, remember this film was about 35 years ago.

The other special forces film was made by the MOD Film Unit and called Top Mallo House - a short documentary style - that featured the special forces assault on an Argentine SF at TMH on FI.

Another MOD Film was Yesterday's Enemy, circa 1955, a jungle warfare film against the Japs. I think Richard Todd may have starred. It had all the trappings on the JW SAS series in ITV a couple of years back.

airborne_artist
26th May 2005, 08:53
The de la Billiere story is complex, I believe.

It all spilled over, again, at the funeral of Tanky Smith (see The Telegraph of about a year ago), when DLB was asked to leave the wake at the OM in Stirling Lines. A number of others walked out in protest.

Pilgrim101
26th May 2005, 10:51
A_A

Pretty shoddy affair all round with lots of flecks of prima donna dna spittle flying around.

In these troubled manpower deficient times, it did lead to the formation of the new "Hollywood Squadron" though ? :E

About your quick jump on the 12th - anyone we know ? ;)

Good Luck - you stay in the VC at any time during your foray down South ?

scran
27th May 2005, 01:31
Pontius,

The Aussie film to wich you refer may have been "The Odd Angry Shot". The star of that movie, Graham Kennedy, died in Oz this week.

wishtobflying
27th May 2005, 03:29
Gra-gra did something vaguely serious? I'm stunned.

Sunfish
27th May 2005, 04:22
I drink with a mad ex SAS person a few times a week. When asked why they did some of the crazy stuff that they did, some of which I already knew about, his reply was always the same: "because we could".

Nieghbourly squadron of them a few blocks away from here sometimes playing with toy boats and parachutes and stuff.

Pontius Navigator
27th May 2005, 07:18
scran, thanks, my SinL also came up with that. Seems it is part of the training regime in the RAF Regt (not an invitation for a slanging match) even now.

"Standard RAF Regt fodder during trg, I remember clips being shown at Basic Gunners course and so does xxxx at his. I think the main focus, was how long it actually takes to cover jungle tactically"

KPax
27th May 2005, 14:38
And for all the 'J' blokes who have volunteered to be extras at this weekends filming at a 'secret wiltshire airbase' for the next series of Ultimate Farce' sorry it doesn't mean you are a steely eyed killer.

vector801
27th May 2005, 16:53
"I have sources who tell me that the SAS generally hate Chris Ryan, Andy McNab, et al. Such transgressors of the Service's tradition of secrecy and esprit di corps are usually viewed with a combination of derision, distaste and disgust."

If that's the case with the SAS, what was the opinion of the SBS (& SAS) when Duncan Falconer released his book about his exploits in the RM, SBS and 14 Int in NI??

I as a civvy with little knowledge of the ground side of things, I can't help but find his book extremely well put together with a cracking inside view of life in Special Forces. Also gave a good but maybe bias view of inter-service rivalry and the many effects it may have on operations.

V801

SASless
27th May 2005, 17:37
1. It ain't bragging if you done it.

2. If you have done it....you have nothing to prove by talking about it.

3. Far better to keep your mouth shut and look a fool....than open it up and be known as a fool.;)