PDA

View Full Version : Britain suffers sense of humour failure

Check 6
25th May 2005, 11:48
LONDON (AFP) - Britain is suffering a sense of humour failure, with laughter levels three times lower now than 50 years ago and nearly half of all adults unable to enjoy at least one big guffaw a day, research showed.

"The findings of this study show a worrying trend towards glumness. In the 1950s we laughed for an average of 18 minutes daily but this has dropped to just six minutes per day," she said.

Morning misery is rife, with almost half of Britons -- some 45 percent -- admitting they frequently wallowed in gloom until lunchtime.

News article (http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050524/lf_afp/afplifestylebritain_050524214117)

Check 6

:E

ATNotts
25th May 2005, 12:17
....And I suppose that the solution to all our woes is to take an Ocean Village cruise....couped up with several hundred other miserable Britains tossing (can I say that) around the Med.

No thanks, I think I'll stick to being miserable on my own.

BN2A
25th May 2005, 14:35
And who said the Germans weren't taking over Europe!!!

:\

tony draper
25th May 2005, 14:45
I remember reading,admittedly a couple of decades ago, some words by a American travel writer,he said what he noticed travelling about Britain was the fact that people were always laughing, they laugh in shops in queues at bus stops ect,always laughing we were, he reconed we were a happy lot despite our lot.
:rolleyes:

chiglet
25th May 2005, 17:59
Drapes,
If that American travel writers' initals are BB, he's moved back to England...Norfolk, not Yorks tho'
watp,iktch

bugg smasher
25th May 2005, 23:45
Fifty years ago, the nation was still fresh from WWII victory, rebuilding a badly damaged country, but with itís pride in accomplishment very buoyant and very much intact.

Today, like it is here in America, itís all to do with a paycheck, the monthly bills, feeding the cat and making sure yer roof doesnít leak, mundane stuff. Is it possible everyone is bored to death?

Blacksheep
26th May 2005, 02:39
50 years ago we had the Laughing Policeman (http://www.funnyfair.com/policemanfl.htm) to help us. If we felt a bit glum, all one needed was to drop a penny in the Laughing Policeman's slot and you were cheered up in seconds. Along with several dozen passer's by.

Bring back the Laughing Policeman and we'd all be right again, soon enough. :ok:

Capn Notarious
26th May 2005, 05:52
We is not more miserable, we is just selective about what we say for political correctness.
A man of limited knowledge walks in to a vet carrying his sick dog. The vet has a good look and examination and pronounces that the dog is soon to die. So the chap asks for more investigations. The vet leaves the room and returns holding a moggy by its tail, said feline is swung about.
I am correct these cat scans reveal all

cyclicmicky
26th May 2005, 07:44
AaaahhhhCaptain
reminds me of the chap who goes to the vet with his dog that keeps walking into things because his eyesight is failing.
The vet picks the dog up and looks into his face for a while and then says " I have got to put him down".
"Why" asks the shocked dog lover,........."because he is bloody heavy" says the vet!!
Hat, coat, door
:ok: