PDA

View Full Version : Questions looking for answers! :)

La Pollo
25th May 2005, 10:00
Thanks in advance for the answers! :ok:

1) How long does it take to fly long haul for BA? Why?

2) If YOU had the choice, where would you like to fly? BA or Virgin?

3) Why does Virgin Atlantic hardly pay anything? I don't think I can live from GBP 700 a month...:ugh:

4) Is it true staff aren't treated well at Virgin Atlantic?

5) Is it true BA only wants people to go to LGW and fly short haul?

Thanks again!

La Pollo

La Pollo
26th May 2005, 12:02
Nobody out there to help me out? :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

La Pollo

flybywire
26th May 2005, 12:13
Ok I will try to give you some answers (for what I know)

1)It might take from few months to years, depending on availability, transfer rate, people leaving/retiring, company requirements etc. For some people it took a year, some others had to wait 5/6 years. They open the list every 2 years and it's done strictly on seniority. Some ppl last year though were recruited for LGW LH. Nothing can be predicted in BA!

2) BA, no doubt. Had an offer from VS myself years ago, but didn't accept it. I guess it depends what you want to do, really. If what you are looking for is long haul straight away, then maybe VS. I chose BA for the different kind of environment at work, the responsibilities and many other reasons. BA is such a huge company you can spend your whole life there and do lots of different jobs other than flying. But yet, this is only my personal experience/opinion.

3) I don't know much about it, but if I am not wrong they pay crew allowances when you land at a destination. Crews tend to spend it while they're overseas. That's money you don't get at the end of the month! Maybe a VS crew can give you more precise and detailed info.

4) Cannot answer, I don't know.

5)NO, that is wrong. In the last 2 years they've been recruiting for WW LGW, EF LGW and EF LHR. They even recruited directly for WW LHR at one point, until unions kicked off (with good reason!).
At the moment they're recruiting for EF LHR. Check the website for up-to-date news, it tends to change almost every day!!!

I hope I have been of any help. If you look into the main BA thread you'll find TONS of info, which will hopefully help you make a decision :)

Good luck!! :ok:

FBW:)

***Love at first Flight***

La Pollo
29th May 2005, 11:13
Thanks a lot!

La Pollo

hottowel
29th May 2005, 22:50
Please stop trying to cherry pick!!!! Take what you are offered and try to work up, like the rest of us are doing.... there is no short hop to longhaul unless you want to work for VS or for some sort of Icelandic 747 carrier and then you might have to be based out of Jeddah in the Hadj season. Do some people a favour and do your bit of shorthaul like the rest of us had to do ........

tart1
29th May 2005, 23:05
OOOOOOOhh. Get off ......... he's only asking a question!! :ouch:

flybywire
30th May 2005, 09:17
Hottowel.......why are you sooooooo bitter??:confused:

Dogs_ears_up
30th May 2005, 14:32
La Pollo - There's is loads of info on this forum. Why don't you have a good search and read instead of taking the lazy option of asking others to repeat themselves?

rocketsuit
1st Jun 2005, 16:33
how vile some of you people are. remember folks, what you give out in life you get back ten fold.

Gerhardt
1st Jun 2005, 16:55
*looks up* nicely said.:D

diesel36
2nd Jun 2005, 02:07
thought thats what this section was for. helping each other. exactly how vile are some people on here. time to get out i think.. agree with flybywire hottowel why so bitter... its all the same s..t whoever you fly for.. just some think there better than others... think again your not..!!!!

Dogs_ears_up
2nd Jun 2005, 13:37
Ok - Here are the detailed answers.

1) How long does it take to fly long haul for BA? Why?.
Do a forum search and read any of the posts available that answer your question. That said, everything changes, all the time. Why? Because it does.

2) If YOU had the choice, where would you like to fly? BA or Virgin?
BA deffo - or maybe VS? It is a pointless questions, however a search of any of the available threads in this forum will provode invaluable assistance.

3) Why does Virgin Atlantic hardly pay anything? I don't think I can live from GBP 700 a month...
They pay that much because that is the rate that they can get away with whilst still recruiting and maintaining staff. It is sometimes known as the "market rate". If you can't live on it, then don't do it...

4) Is it true staff aren't treated well at Virgin Atlantic?
If they are treated that badly, then they won't stay. Again, a search of any of the relevant threads on the forum will help.

5) Is it true BA only wants people to go to LGW and fly short haul?
A search of... blah, blah, blah.

I'm sorry that you all think I'm such a meannie. The fact is that nearly all the questions asked (that are viable) could be readily answered if La Pollo could be bothered to search. This is a lazy question - a bit of initiative and getupandgo might be useful when applying for either of these carriers. Starting now. For all that, I wish him/her well and cannot help but admire those of you with more patience than I.

flybywire
3rd Jun 2005, 15:01
Why are you guys still going on, and on, and on.....

LA Pollo asked a few questions, I myself found the time to answer as well as I could and then he/she seemed pretty satisfied of the answers and said "Thank you".

That was it, no need for all this to happen!!! Let's drop it,

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

La Pollo
6th Jun 2005, 14:52
@ Flybywire: thanks for your last post, my thoughts exactly...

@ people like Dogs_ears_up: if you would only take the effort to read my questions, you'll realise these questions haven't been frequently or clearly asked on this site before. This is why I still found them unanswered after hours of surfing on pprune, aircabincrew etc.

The last thing I'm waiting for is to be corrected by some smartass person who thinks he/she has invented wisdom and knows it all. Do you treat your passengers the same way? Hopefully not. If so, you'll realise aviation is not a forgiving industry.

Think before you speak out your thoughts...something we all need in the cabin.

Thank you,
La Pollo