PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar and Infant Seatbelts

DirectAnywhere
24th May 2005, 22:41
I've tried the D&G Questions section with no luck so far.

Do Jetstar carry infant/ extension seatbelts?

It's for my 5 month old infant son - not my fat gut!!;)

Bidan
24th May 2005, 23:00
yes they do ...its the only thing onboard this cheap airline that you dont have to pay for..GOOD LUCK..Its quite an awful experience.Oh dont use the toilets,they dont clean them!!!

apaddyinuk
24th May 2005, 23:07
Oh get over it Bidan...Thats what a low fares/no frills airline is!!! It may shock you to know that Europe is littered with these types of airlines...get used to it!!!

ozangel
25th May 2005, 02:27
yes, the do - flew ool-mel not long ago, and they had shyte loads of infants on board - although the didnt get around to putting belts on them until at the holding point because there were that many - and the crew seemed to have trouble locating them (free seating - but they were pre-boarded - who knows?)

Perhaps if you dont have one by the time doors close, mention to one of the girls or boys you need one, so they remember where u are?

DirectAnywhere
25th May 2005, 03:24
Thanks for the replies. Would be good if reservations had some sort of idea.....

Iguanahead
25th May 2005, 03:38
DirectAnywhere, you will be boarded in the Orange queue as you have a child travelling with you. When you are on board depending on the Cabin Manager they may give you the belt at the door of the aircraft, some like to some don't. If you don't get one then the crew will walk through before departure and pass them out, and yes it is hard to locate the little ones at times as with the free seating policy you could be anywhere on the aircraft.

On both the 717 and A320 we carry a maximum of 12 infants depending on the load, if the pax load is full i.e all seats taken there will be less infants on board.

If you haven't used one before please let the crew know as lately I have had a few parents say they know how to use them and when I've checked they had them all the way around both the parent and child.

I hope you enjoy your flight with us, if there is anything else you need to know feel free to pm me.

Cheers
Iguanahead

P.S. Bidan, you obviously haven't flown with me yet, I look forward to changing your view of JQ service. ;)

Nans
25th May 2005, 05:52
"Oh dont use the toilets,they dont clean them!!!"

Of course the toilets are cleaned!!!! What a stupid thing to say.

DirectAnywhere, Iguanahead has answered your question well. We do carry infant seatbelts and you will have plenty of time to get one during boarding. Glad you want to use one, can't believe the amount of parents that don't!

Fokker_Me, a lot of parents seem to think that their infants don't need seatbelts. They seem to believe that their arms will suffice in an accident. Therefore they never seem to ask for them. This is why you will always see crew walking through the cabin ensuring they have the seatbelts and they are used correctly.

Nans

Sky_hi!
25th May 2005, 06:44
I had a lady ask me while I was securing the cabin just before take off, if 'she could wait a bit' before putting her child in the infant belt other wise 'it would scream.' :hmm:

I can't stress the importance of putting on an infant seatbelt. If the pilots suddenly jam on the brakes while taxiing, your kids gonna go flying (literally) and then it really will be screaming. :ouch:

I always ask parents if they have one and if they know how to put one on. Like Iguana and Nans have said if you don't know how please ask us!

HoHum
25th May 2005, 14:08
May i first point out that - yes, Jetstar do have Infant belts to offer to all passengers who fly...... and yes, they can usually be found being handed out by the Cabin Manager when a passenger boards. However, many people are new flyers or have only flown a few times in the past when fares were much higher. Back in these days, Qantas did not always offer infant belts on its flights - as it was not deemed necessary!!!!! - so many "not-so-regular" flyers would not know that this has changed, and that belts are now a requirement...

Also, be kind on the crew - they do their best - but some passengers travelling with infants (up to the age of 2 remember - and boy there are some BIG so called 2 year olds running around apparently!!!!)insist on sitting their "precious" little darling on the seat during boarding and never take it off - therefore making the crew think that they have paid for the seat and don't require a belt.........It is amazing how crafty people can be these days!!!

To Nans - NO!!! the toilets are not cleaned during the day - how are you able to so definatively make your comment?? None of the crew are going to clean a toilet and then serve you food - how disgusting.......and when do they get the time ???? Is that before or after the inflight service???!!!???
FYI:- The whole aircraft is only cleaned at night.:yuk: Unless there has been a huge mess made of it during the day ie vomit or a huge mess - next time you fly - may I suggest that you look under the seats (only applicable if the aircraft has already been flying for part of the day - not a fresh one straight out of the hangar)
Jetstar is what it was designed for - people who want cheap airfares to get them from point A to B - no frills - just safe transport. That is how they are able to make the fares cheap - cut costs for the less necessary things like turnaround cleans.
If you want all the glamour - may i suggest that you pay a full fare on Qantas if you want all the trimmings.

And have some compassion for the crew - they work very hard days with some very trying passengers in conditions which are not perfect. The conditions for some of them have been thrown upon them by mangement and Qantas wanting to achieve its goals - many of the staff are not happy with these changes, but are trying their best to make good of the situation and be as professional as they can be.:ugh: :ok: Given the chance - they would all be working in QF where the aircraft are cleaned on all turnarounds and things are done differently.:ok:

Mr Seatback 2
26th May 2005, 01:38
Hear hear ho hum! Couldn't have said it better myself!

ditzyboy
26th May 2005, 07:50
Our manual says Jetstar is commited to our OHS. It takes more then mere words to fufil this obligation however!

I implore crew to call WorkCover (re the toilets) and South Eastern Sydney Health (re the galleys). Report the problem repeatedly to the only people who can make change.

Get on to the above organisations NOW. It will be the only way will improve the situation.

Start using YOUR union. Write to them and raise your concerns. The FAAA will act when it knows it has support. I urge everyone raise their concerns with the FAAA. They need our feedback!

Nans -
Check out the toilets on SYD based aircraft before you make such statements. They are rancid in all sense of the word.

Grove
27th May 2005, 07:28
Nans,
"The toilets are clean,what a stupid thing to say"
Sorry Nans but the toilets arent cleaned all day long,they are cleaned at night after approx 8 sectors...Airbus a320 carrys 177pax x 8 sectors with 3 toilets =Very dirty toilets at the end of the day...They arent even acceptable when you pick up the 4 afternoon sectors.
Really disgusting

Iguanahead
29th May 2005, 03:54
I agree the toilet issue can get way out of hand, I also think the cleaners employed to do the overnight cleaning really aren't up to scratch.

But the problem is we are a low cost carrier and the company will continue to cut costs where they can. The argument of how many times they are cleaned every day will always be tough as there are other circumstances that compare favourably with JQ's argument.

Example: Hop on a QF flight to LAX, a/c is cleaned ex SYD and then for the next 15 hours in the air it's the cabin crew's responsibility. If you want to crunch numbers think about this for Y/C, 6 lavs x 330 pax x each pax goes 3 times x 15 hours (eeewwwww)!

Now before I get my head bitten off yes yes yes I know QF crew are paid a lot more money than us to do this. The argument should not be that we shouldn't be doing it, the argument should be that when JQ started they took away the cleaning contract and gave it to cabin crew without compensation or renumeration.

Now I'm more than happy to put on a pair of gloves, wipe down the sink, restock and refresh the toilets :yuk: in my 25 minute turn around after I've "tidied" the cabin. BUT they're going to have to pay me more to do it.

What I don't understand is the general publics perception that if you fly JQ it's OK to accept squashed chips and muffins on the carpet and crap (literally) on the toilet seat and floor just because you wrangled yourself a cheap ticket. It's just not sanitary! :mad:

Rant over. Iguana steps off the soap box and heads straight to the bar for one or five bevvies.:E