PDA

View Full Version : Air Zimbabwe?

Traffic Magnet
24th May 2005, 19:19
Hi all....

I'm interested to know what the current situation at Air Zimbabwe is like.

What are they like to work for, are they managing to run their operation effectively, are load factors good and do they experience any major problems due to the current situation in the country?

This question stems from a genuine interest in Zimbabwe.

Deanw
25th May 2005, 10:11
From another maillist:

Beeld (Monday, 23 May), citing the Daily Mirror, published a report stating that a Air Zimbabwe Boeing flew the published 6000 km journey from Dubai to Harare with only a single passenger, apparently a record. Out going flight had 49 passengers. The report mentions a 205 seat capacity, making it rather a B767, rather than the reported B737, which would anyway not have the range.

jbayfan
25th May 2005, 10:44
If you are a masochist, great place to live and work, but otherwise there isn't a barge pole long enough!!!:eek:

tic
25th May 2005, 22:31
Is Air Zim, contemplating a DXB route? Used to fly for them way back, and despite the salary, it was great. It used to have the best record re accidents in Africa, bar any other African airline. Still does now, I think.Certainly, when I was there, the only fatality they had was when it was CAA, in a Viscount, at Wadi Halfa, in the 60's, if I remember. Maybe late 50's, in a dust storm.
It was agreat place to live, un-fortunately, enter Mugabe.
Still, if any-one has info on DXB ( Dubai ), and UM is doing it, I would like to know.
tks

McGreaser
26th May 2005, 06:04
Yes UM is flying to DXB twice a week. Yes they had one pax on one of their flights but am sure it will pick. Just have to be optimistic with these things. Still is a very great company to work for with a great safety record. But then again if you view anything associated with Zim with contempt it obviuosly won't be your cup of tea. Don't be fooled by some people in this forum wwho will jump to say UM is bla, bla, bla only cause they have resentment for the country or for Bob. Every airline has problem and UM is no exception. Give them a try if the oportunity arises.:ok:

Rhodie
26th May 2005, 14:39
tic - there were the two Viscounts in '78/79 out of Kariba - but those were terrorist actions brought down with SAM 7's. The saddest moment in Rhodesian aviation and in the history of the civilized world - but 'A Deafening Silence' followed.

McGreaser - no-one here would doubt the capabilities of the crews, and we would go on (I assume) your first-hand observations of the company... what is unfortunate however - and indisputable, is that Mugabe has trashed the country, and by association, the state enterprises. Until he stops using Air Zim as his personal airline, credibility will be questioned.

and yep - my name says it all...

Cheers

R

McGreaser
26th May 2005, 18:32
Hoo-kay Rhodie. Whilst yo input is acknowledged, how then does it answer the original thread or what is it's relevance vis-a-vis to the original thread ? And yes, l speak first hand about UM. Whose credibility will be questioned, the airline, Bob, crew ? The fact that UM crew fly him regularly obviously says something about their flying. Air Zim has suffered and will continue to suffer directly/indirectly under the current political climate. But inspite of this harsh climate safety, is still of paramount importance.

Traffic Magnet, if you r going to join UM or are considering it PM with any questions.

Like most topics involving Zim or UM let's try stick to the original topic. How Bob has/hasn't ruined the Zim can be at best left for another forum. :cool:

V1 Rotate
26th May 2005, 18:57
McGreaser,
Unfortunately what Bob does, DOES have a profound effect on the Aviation industry, not only in Zim but in the region as a whole.
He does consider Air Zim to be his own personal flight department and has done for a long time.
V1:cool:

Traffic Magnet
26th May 2005, 23:03
McGreaser thanks for your reply. I ain't going to join UM though! My question about UM comes from both an interest in the current political climate in Zim (had family living in Bulawayo years ago) and an interest in aviation and how UM can operate under such difficult circumstances.

I know they had trouble with IATA a while ago and ended up being banned from booking onward flights with other carriers.

I've heard how old Bob abuses the airline for his jollies overseas. Last year he wanted to attend some UN conference in Switzerland at short notice to strut the world stage. That's the one where Chirac shook his hand.

UM B767 commandeered again but he had difficulty getting overflight permission from some African countries at the last minute (Sudan & Uganda being two) and had to go a long way round and stop to refuel. I'm sure that's somewhere on pprune.

Do they carry a lot of pax & cargo in & out of Harare and whereabouts do they get their routine maintenance done? Have any of their crews left to go to fly for other carriers?

If anyone's got first hand experience or other knowledge then it'd be interesting to know.

Keep the discussion going!

Skylion
28th May 2005, 15:27
Despite current politics, - which will be resolved sometime,- Air Zim still has good long term prospects. It has been remarkably resilient.
The 3 Viscount losses were:
1) CAA on Salisbury-London service hit ridge of high ground on way into Benina ( Benghazi). Appeared to descend too early with airfield in sight. August 1958.
2) Air Rhodesia near Kariba: September 1978.
3) Air Rhodesia : SAM attack after departing Kariba, February 1979.

Viscounts worldwide had a pretty alarming casualty rate with over 50% ending their days in accidents/incidents.

The Claw
28th May 2005, 17:47
On the plus side Air Zim has been able to purchase four new aircraft. These being 60 seater XAC MA60 twin-turboprop airliners.

Ballas
28th May 2005, 18:14
Air Zim has been able to purchase four new aircraft

Could be wrong but were these not "gifts" from the Chinese? God knows what they agreed to in return.

737fanatic
30th May 2005, 21:10
I can assure all doubting minds that Air Zim still runs a tight ship as far as flight crew are concerned. Despite the current difficulties that the airline is facing ie, fuel shortages etc the airline takes no short cuts and still expects its crew to operate and maintain the high standards that it is well know for. Regarding the MA60 aircraft, lets all use a degree of 'fair play', they may well be Chinese built however the vast majority of the major components are from the west. From the look of things there may well be several other African operators utilising the MA60 in the very near future.

On another note it is sad to see many people running down Air Zimbabwe, l wonder how many of these postings are from pilots that did not make the grade when it came to pilot interviews. Lets be honest, l bet there are several of you out there who would give anything to fly for Air Zim.

Qwagga
31st May 2005, 08:20
Ish, 737Fanatic, I think you had too many "Chibukus" Sjamwari, I actually can not believe any passengers still want to fly with UM!

The state of the a/c's are shocking, seen them, flown in them and then I know some of the crew, ish?

With eveything else in Zim going down the drain it is only logic that their national carrier has to follow, ZCAA, Maintenance, airports, unbelieveable????:confused:

31st May 2005, 09:24
737fanatic

Lets be honest, l bet there are several of you out there who would give anything to fly for Air Zim.

Do you really believe that? Would that also mean that a person has to be based in Zim and earn Z$? I wouldn't want to!

inlet corrosion
31st May 2005, 13:10
The airline has been used for pilots as a training ground for the past 25 years. Only a few ever saw it as a career and even they have left. It is a miracle that it still operates, especially when they start routes which must cost huge amounts with no forethought ! Chinese planes - only because the Chinese are getting something they want from the deal. My guess they will be parked next to the 146 sometime in the near future.

jbayfan
1st Jun 2005, 10:39
Lets be honest, l bet there are several of you out there who would give anything to fly for Air Zim. 737Fanatic, what exactly are you smoking?? Besides making you high, you are now starting to hallucinate!!

I.R.PIRATE
1st Jun 2005, 16:21
To quote a line a saw on a movie recently......" American plane....Russian plane.....all parts made in China anyway.

767200ER
6th Jun 2005, 19:31
well i for one cannot wait to finish school and fly for air zimbabwe, my aunt is currently flying for them and has no complaints other than the workin hours, which is no issue really. i will fly no other airline but air zimbabwe. when goin to zimbabwe. yes the airline has problems but which doesn't? the singapore flight started out slow but is picking up. they have recently refurbished the interior of one of the jets and are awaiting confirmation of a delivery of a -300ER or possibly even a 777. An airline is not a reflection of a country, look at ethiopian, they are ordering 787's but look at the country, sure the flights have to go to rome once in a while and i may not get my upgrade to bussines because that part of the aircraft has been replaced by the presidents bed when it is bob's taxi. but its still a great airline with an excellent flight crew and yes the greatest safety record in africa. So to those that mock and ridicule the airline :( dissapointing that you excpect every airline to be ordering 747's and all sorts for it to be considered 'developed'.
Just my 2cents worth.

Kep Ten Jim
6th Jun 2005, 23:06
767200ER -

Nice one bud! You had us all going. Especially the spelling mistakes

767200ER
6th Jun 2005, 23:31
:confused: i'm not joking, i love my national airline and feel the same about it as you would about BA

Kolibear
8th Jun 2005, 07:19
.....feel the same about it as you would about BA

Perhaps you should take a wander over to the Pax & SLF Forum to get an idea over some people's feelings towards BA.

BA is NOT the UK national airline. It is a privately owned company with 'British' in it's title.

767200ER
8th Jun 2005, 16:51
ah i see, having only ever flown BA once and having the flight cancelled twice in 1991 i have never flown them again:=

Mode7
8th Jun 2005, 16:53
UM's 767s are maintained in China on their layover via SIN. I gather another very profitable service - the chinese are simply flocking to visit Zim - NOT....

McGreaser
12th Jun 2005, 12:52
UM a/c being maintaned in China, Mode 7 what a load of c@#p ! Check your facts before you go online and write such mis-truths. A retraction would be appreciated. UM aircraft are maintained in Hre and inspite of the problems in Zim they are well maintained. :ok:

767200ER
12th Jun 2005, 14:44
:mad: and for your information MODE7 there is an increasing number of Chinese SETTLERS in harare. and i do agree that your post should be removed. We didn't get that good a safety record from nothing!

B Sousa
12th Jun 2005, 16:56
"there is an increasing number of Chinese SETTLERS in harare"

Given the conditions, you can bet that they will:
1. open a business of some sort
2. work their asses off
3. all their children will go to college while working their asses off
4. local population will dislike them for being successful, because they have a work ethic we all could learn from

767200ER
12th Jun 2005, 21:11
yes that is true, but it is not wrong. they are helping the countries economy believe it or not and if it wasnt for the sponge at the top off the chain it would be a significant change.

B Sousa
13th Jun 2005, 02:53
"it wasnt for the sponge at the top off the chain"

Sponge Bob, so thats who he is..........all the time I thought he was a cartoon......

cigar
14th Jun 2005, 09:40
767200ER -

When can we expect the -300ER or T7 to be delivered? Thats good news for UM if it happens!!

767200ER
14th Jun 2005, 17:03
I cannot give an exact date but my aunt *Captain E.N.* :D
Told me about the delivery and possibly 2 737-7/800. Unsure of the timescale though. Maybe delayed because tof the deteriorating political situation. Spongebob might decide we don't need them. then have a stroke and then we'll get them... Who knows? hopefully they will be there before i submit my application.

Rallygirl
17th Jun 2005, 12:24
It's great to see good old Air Zim at Gatwick....Tugs at the heartstrings when i go to work and see the trusty 767 there. Brings back many memories!!
Is G. C. still flying for them? If anyone has his contact details, please pm me.

tic
24th Jun 2005, 22:27
Seems to me that there are a lot of ex Air Zim pilots, working for Emirates, and high up on the training side, as well.Gulf Air, has quite a few as well, still on 767, and A330. Dubai Air Wing, is largely crewed by ex Air Zim. The head honcho, ( flying) is from Air Zim. Poor training?, I think not.
What days do UM do DXB, and where do they stay there.?
tic

Believe John Day still there?

You can learn a h*ll of a lot from him.

767200ER
25th Jun 2005, 02:19
i don't know the exact dates for the Dubai flight but i can find out sooner than later then post it here, Yes Captain Day has returned to the 767 as a four stripe wearing Co-pilot. My aunt had to recertify him for the 76 but she said to me 'what do i teach him? he has more experience On the 767 alone than i have in my entire flying career. I have flown with him twice on the LGW-HRE route. ILS at harare not working so it was all in his hands for the approach. WOW he can still throw that jet around. Don't know if any of you know a chap called 'Danai' was on the 737 until recently or Daniel Muchakwana. All a great group of pilots working hard for the airline. And for anyone who doesn't already know or who doubted us, Air zim has received 2 of 3 MA60 a/c and they have started operating. Yes they were BOUGHT by the airline and were not a GIFT from the Chinese.

McGreaser
25th Jun 2005, 08:34
What amazes me is the way the quality of Air Zim pilots is frowned upon by our "brothers" from down south while UM has churned out a lot of brilliant pilots working all over the world for "big" (whatever that means :confused: ) airlines. The fact that a lot of guys have left doesn't mean the quality of the remaining pilots is any poorer. The money might not be competitive but it's enough to keep some guys happy. Not that they **** get any jobs on the market. And it turns out some of these okies from south of the Limpompo have actually passed through the system at Air Zim. Anyway what to do ?:sad: As for JD if l could have it my way, he should have an a/c named after him. Has served Air Zim dilligently for yonks. Great guy with a great sense of humour to go with. :ok:

Kep Ten Jim
25th Jun 2005, 19:55
Only reason JD is still there is because his pension isn't worth ****, thanks to Bob and his bunch of bandits.

Dr Know
25th Jun 2005, 23:34
Tic

You'r from Dubai why don't you have a look on the line. You'll see them come in and park around B5 or 6 I belief!;)

Tachi
26th Jun 2005, 12:44
Rest of the world please note , Air Zimbabwe Aviators, past , present and future are proud of the excellent safety record Air Zim has..... . As for the two viscounts, that was act of war, Not terrorist as rhodie would like to call it. Air Zimbabwe was, is , and will be great. As for the likes of Rhodie ..they will always have a negative view of anything to do with Zimbabwe . So I Say..God have mercy. Viva Zimbabwe.:ok:

Whenwe
26th Jun 2005, 17:16
Tachi... no comment, it will serve no purpose.

I go back to the CAA days (Central African Airways) and it does my heart good to read the complimentary remarks about John.

Down south Nationwide pinched their top Training Captain GM for their B767-300 operation and thanks to his excellent training and inputs this operation is very successfull.

I am indeed proud to have been a pilot for Air Zimbabwe and all the other names before that.

Good Luck and I would like to see a reunion, I wonder if it is possible!

ou Trek dronkie
26th Jun 2005, 17:58
Quote :

"As for the two viscounts, that was act of war, Not terrorist as rhodie would like to call it"

Are you out of your mind ? Do you know really know what Mr Nkomo's valaiant soldiers did then ? Or did one of your freedom friends tell you about it ?

And so are you in favour of similar action in other parts of the world ? Are you also happy for the same sort of freedom fighters to down your flight and bayonet the pax ?

Yours is one of the worst posts I have yet seen on pPrune and I am deeply suspicious of your motives, if not your politics. It explains a great deal of what is happening in Zim as I write.

Your punctuation (or lack of it) reveals all.

Tak yasell doon ta Sheils and jump in the Tyne.

Tears in my eyes.

old terr denigrator

Metro man
26th Jun 2005, 23:01
For information on the Viscount disasters and what happened visit http://home.iprimus.com.au/rob_rickards/viscounts/viscounts.htm

Tachi, if you can justify the shooting down of airliners and the murder of innocent civilians as "an act of war" then you are not fit to be a pilot, in fact you are not fit to even live. I hope you get cancer and die like that fat piece of **** Nkomo.

I notice from your location that you don't live in Zimbabwe anymore, how come ? Don't like black rule do you, life better with ole whitey running things ?

You should have been at Westlands Farm the day Green Leader paid a vist :yuk: