PDA

View Full Version : Easy posts first half loss

Runway 31
24th May 2005, 17:34
EasyJets first half loss widens to £22 mil with a warning that full year profits would be lower than last year.

Ray Webster says that at prevailing fuel prices and exchange rates, we continue to expect reported pre-tax profit to be below last year but in line with current expectations.

I realise that the most profitable part of the year is still to come but how long will they take to get back into profit or will they given the competition and current fuel prices?.

Finman
24th May 2005, 18:03
Running a dual fleet into high price airports = very high cost base relative to others in the LOCO market. Perhaps that is why RW has left (was he pushed??!!). The only cost savings they can find is by alienating the staff with appalling staff travel and terrible rostering.

befree
24th May 2005, 19:39
It was reported in the parents that he has just lost both parents and was already due to leave in 2006.

Flying into the higher cost airports is double edged. It costs more but also allows you to charge your paxs more. Their is a market for people who wish to fly ALMOST to where they want at 30euros and another that takes you to the main airport at 40euros. Ryanair and easyjet take about the same numbers of Pax one using each model. They have to differ to maximise the market. Even with high fuel costs Easy is expected to make £50-55m profit over a full year.

With the high fuel costs who will start up another low cost airline? There must soon be an end to an expansion in the number of low cost airlines.

jumpseater
24th May 2005, 23:35
'The only cost savings they can find is by alienating the staff with appalling staff travel',

With respect, why should the company even offer staff travel? If someone has joined the company expecting ID90's etc, then they probably don't get the 'Loco' concept. I've not seen many people alienated by staff travel, I can think of far more important things than that.....

'and terrible rostering'. This is not an airline wide issue. I've had the opportunity to talk to a few crews recently and found the satisfaction varies significantly from base to base. And its certainly way way better than the 'Carnage' fiasco of just a few years ago!

Easy has always operated into 'major' airports since day one, the concept worked then and it works now, if your ticket to Barcelona says Barcelona, that's where you go, Barcelona, not Reuss....
The first half loss is a perennial easyJet thing. Check back over the last few years prune postings and you'll see a pattern developing, What really matters is at the end of the summer which we all await with interest I'm sure....
----------------------------------------------------------------------
As we're a low cost Airline, the light at the end of the Tunnel has been turned off :ok:

Shaka Zulu
25th May 2005, 11:03
hey jumpseater don't even bother trying to explain things to finman, cos he has to get his head out of his arse and start living in the real world.
obviously disgruntled

Finman
5th Jun 2005, 03:27
From another Forum easyJet topic:

Its probably because some beancounter has decided that it is not in the mid-term benefit of the company to have more new entrant 737 pilots, as they can still keep 30% of the 737 crew moving round the country in taxis at any given time to plug all the holes in the program.

Of course this leaves no standby cover at -300 bases like LPL, LTN and EDI/GLA because they are also covering EMA, STN, BRS and of course each other all at the same time. But what the hell! As long as the pilots believe all the sh!te about the new rostering, watertight crew planning and all the other promises BALPA wrote on the back of a fag packet, then us poor suckers will just keep doing it and drawing our paychecks.

I am sorry that the courses have been cancelled - sorry for you, for me and my colleagues. It is just another example of double standards and hypocrisy in a stupid company.

Seems you guys missed this one in your survey of happy easyJet pilots......As long as the pilots believe all the sh!te about the new rostering.....

Doug the Head
5th Jun 2005, 13:31
What really matters is at the end of the summer which we all await with interest I'm sure.... You have to ask yourself why other big low cost airlines (like Ryanair or Southwest) make a profit all year round? Could it be because those companies don“t squander money left, right and center?

IMHO I think EZY has had it“s glory days and now it“s flighting high costs, low morale and management suffering from “writersblock.“ The “low(ish) cost“ EZY model (cheap prices and ugly colours/uniforms) has worked well in the UK, but I doubt if it will work the same on the continent.

Looks like Ray is bailing out just in time! :rolleyes: