PDA

View Full Version : Special request to spitfire owners/flyers

jimgriff
24th May 2005, 15:13
Like many towns around the country this year, Aberystwyth is celebrating the 60th anniversary of VJ day (end of WW2)

We would like a spitfire (or something similar) to do a quick flypast on sunday 28th August.

Anyone interested? costs etc to me:

contact Jim on
[email protected]

Shaggy Sheep Driver
24th May 2005, 18:41
Have you tried the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)? They might do it for free.

SSD

jimgriff
24th May 2005, 20:06
Im told they are booked up for some 18 months.. But if one doesnt ask.........

FJJP
24th May 2005, 21:56
Do a search for the Duxford outfits (the IWM site may have links). They may be able to accommodate [probably at a price!]

treadigraph
24th May 2005, 22:30
Doesn't Anthony Hodgson still own a two seater somewhere in the North Wales area, Jim? One of the ex-Doug Arnold aircraft, might be G-CTIX? I'll check it tomorrow if JDK doesn't fill in the blanks in the mean time.

You never know, he might be up for a jolly...

Think it had a nice Welsh Dragon on the fin!

Tiger_mate
25th May 2005, 06:03
I thought that the Welsh 2 seater is the one now resident at East Kirby (Home of Lancaster Just Jane).

I may be wrong, how many 2 seaters are there in UK?

Carolyn Grace (Duxford?)
New Irish Air Force restoration @ Duxford
Welsh one

amy more?

treadigraph
25th May 2005, 06:58
A fourth is Maurice Bayliss's TR.IX G-BMSB which could be the one based at East Kirby... Can't think of any others in the UK.

Anthony Hodgson's is based near Towyn according to G-INFO, and does indeed have a Dragon on the fin!

effortless
25th May 2005, 08:46
If you get one make sure that you brief them well and try to get an R/T. We had the distressing expoerience of hearing one doing passes about a mile from our memorial service in Chailey. The place is a lot more heavily wooded from the air. :{

BeauMan
25th May 2005, 11:11
MJ627 - Maurice Bayliss - East Kirkby
PT462 - Tony Hodgson - North Wales
ML407 - Carolyn Grace - Duxford
IAC161 (ex PV202) - HFL - Duxford

Might also be worth having a word with the PR Officer at RAF Valley, see if he can sort out a Hawk for you...

jimgriff
25th May 2005, 22:18
Loads of good leads there. A ton of thanks to all concerned. Anyone got a number for the Welsh spitfire?

treadigraph
26th May 2005, 07:12
Jim if you look up G-CTIX on G-INFO (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=60&pagetype=65&applicationid=1), you should be able to get sufficient info for a bit of work with directory enquiries!

Good luck!

Treadders

proplover
26th May 2005, 15:13
jimgriff

Checkout the webb site www.displayaircraft.co.uk, you will find a contact email address.

Your not the same chap who was organising the lifeboat day are you?

jimgriff

Checkout the webb site www.displayaircraft.co.uk (now without the comma!) you will find a contact email address.

Your not the same chap who was organising the lifeboat day are you?

jimgriff
26th May 2005, 18:51
No not me on the lifeboat day organising. Thats Richard Griffiths.

I was on the Coastguard for 19 years and did some display organising years ago.

Are you involved with that? Valley 202?