PDA

View Full Version : Should Star Wars be banned?

AerBabe
24th May 2005, 12:06
A little light (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/beds/bucks/herts/4575291.stm) relief for a Tuesday afternoon...

ORAC
24th May 2005, 12:09
Got to be worth submitting to the Darwin awards (www.darwinawards.com) committee.

AirYard
24th May 2005, 12:09
any chance we can try and find a link to the vid :}

Nothing better than relaxing, giggling at other people's complete and utter disregard for common sense :p

AerBabe
24th May 2005, 12:11
Did the film come with a warning such as "Don't try this at home, kids"? After all, we're all warned that irons may burn, cups of coffee contain hot liquid and sunglasses should not be worn after dark.

AirYard
24th May 2005, 12:12
hmmmmm............

does the disclaimer at the end of films count for that:P

tony draper
24th May 2005, 12:12
A spokesman for the Dairy Product Marketing Board said he wished people would become similarly obsessed with Last Tango In Paris.
:rolleyes:

Buster Hyman
24th May 2005, 12:28
I think it's rather more serious than the article alludes to. The poor guy is looking at a bleak future because the burn injuries he suffered will mean he has to wear this big black mask that makes him sound like he's breathing through a vacuum cleaner hose.

AerBabe
24th May 2005, 12:32
Don't tell me .... due to the increased risk of infection brought about by the burns, medical staff treating the patients are having to wear white plastic suits and helmets?

eal401
24th May 2005, 12:38
Trust me, I don't think the film is the problem here....

scrubed
24th May 2005, 12:41
The Star Wars Kid (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/starwarskidv.html) is p!ssing himself laughing at the public humiliation of these two moronic nerds.

I thought about the fluro tube/light sabre thing years ago. Couldn't get past the power issues though, on a mobile device. Many others came up against the same hurdle.

Petrol hey??? Good to see some original thought these days. Needs a little fine-tuning obviously.

Avtrician
24th May 2005, 13:08
Mr Draper, that is very naughty. No body seems to have caght the reference tho. Perhaps I am naughty???? for remembering.

AerBabe
24th May 2005, 13:12
I was hoping that, if we ignored his comment, it might go away. :uhoh:

Solid Rust Twotter
24th May 2005, 13:12
Used to get loaded and strike a couple of Star Wars poses for piccies while on the ice. Get close enough to the RF antenna holding a flourescent tube and it just lights up. Get too close...:ooh:

MadsDad
24th May 2005, 13:30
I remember reading in an article in a magazine that the original 'light sabres' were made from lengths of 1 X 1 timber painted so a different proportion of each side was white/black and then set in a handle so they would revolve at high speed, thus giving the flickering effect (that was in the first film released; I don't know if they use the same method now).

I also remember in the same article it said that they had tried using fluorescent tubes but had given up on them 'as they proved too dangerous'.

And that was without the added petrol - nice extra touch there.

(I presume you remember Lurpak non-prepack 1cwt tubs, Mr. D?).

Grainger
24th May 2005, 13:39
Hey SRT - yeah, we used to live under the power lines and you could do the same thing. Lightsabre fight wtih two 30" tubes and didn't have to be connected to anything.

Used to be great for barbecues: stick a few tubes upright in the ground and - hey presto ! - outdoor mood lighting.

As for the scare stories about harmful effects from power lines - lived under them for ages and ... <twitch> ... never done me any ... <twitch> ... harm <gnarr gnarr snarl urghghgh >

Biggles Flies Undone
24th May 2005, 13:48
Drapes is well known for buttering the girls up ;)

Onan the Clumsy
24th May 2005, 14:02
I remember reading in an article in a magazine that the original 'light sabres' were made from lengths of 1 X 1 timber painted so a different proportion of each side was white/black and then set in a handle so they would revolve at high speed, thus giving the flickering effect (that was in the first film released; I don't know if they use the same method now). In the first film, all they had were the handles. The lighted part was dubbed on afterwards.

If they were to revolve, then you'd have a gyroscopic effect when you moved them through the air :8

As for power lies exciting tubes, yes I have seen the experiment in a museum somewhere. Apparently, that was Edison's idea for the transmission of electricity, namely that it would be (1) DC (2) broadcast and (3) free. The experiment shows how the system would have "worked".

Obviously AC won out due to its ability to be sent down transmission lines (and it's a little less lethal too).

As a footnote, there was a farmer in Australia who had a powerline stretch across his land so he rigged up an independent line underneath. The current in the main line induced a current in the one he built and he got free electricity...till they caught him and prosecuted him for stealing :confused:

tony draper
24th May 2005, 14:24
Took me four post elsewhere to convince a poster that light sabres as such did not actualy exsist, and that America did not in fact have light sabres in the inventory,so it was a waste of time trying to join the USMC as a light sabre fighter.
I kid you not .
:rolleyes:

MadsDad
24th May 2005, 14:38
Onan, that will teach me to beleive what I read in magazines. Or on the internet.:confused:

And re tluorescent tubes self-exciting a long time ago I knew someone who had worked as a radar techie in the RAF. Sometimes they were working on bits of kit while the main radar was still running and he told me that they sometimes used to light tubes by holding them in the radar beams (taking good care to keep their persons clear) rather than go to the trouble of getting a lead-light into the area they were working in. Never knew if it was true or not (this would have been late 50s he was talking about).

scrubed
24th May 2005, 14:44
Onan, in The Original, they used the handles, as you correctly state, but with broom sticks attached so they could convincingly smack each other upside the head in front of the cameras.

Later the fuzzy red or blue light was added as an "effect". This was in the mid-70s and light sabres did not actually exist yet, other than as a concept.

PS someone tell Onan to click "read" as he has me on "Ignore" (dunno why....??? :confused: )

Jerricho
24th May 2005, 14:50
What is it with you lot at the moment. First me, now poor Star Wars (http://www.pprune.com/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=32261)

ORAC
24th May 2005, 14:52
MD,

Quite true, all the lights would come on and then die with each radar revolution. Never did anyone any harm - though people had a lot more sons than daughters.....

The T93 boys also had to put their VCR in a faraday cage as it went automatically into rewind. Without the cage they could only manage about the first 8 seconds of a tape.

Onan, I think youŽll find the broadcast power man was Tesla, not Edison. Broadcast power does, of course, work, hence the studies into satellites sending down power by microwave to ground receiver arrays. The problem with the original idea was the omnidirectional transmission and the inverse square law....

XXTSGR
28th May 2005, 14:02
Huge controversy in the USA at the moment. Is George Lucas making a political statement? Is the Emperor (or Darth Vader) really George W. Bush? Is Lucas really another of those dirty lefties like Michael Moore and Jane Fonda who want to betray the Land of the Free and have them commies walk all over us? Is he spittin' on the graves of them poor young men who defended us in our hour of need?

Sorry - getting a little carried away there. But Annakin Skywalker's line "You're either with me or against me" has been seen as an echo of something GWB said in the aftermath of 9/11. I've heard two of the square-state, square-head mentality who hadn't even seen the film nod sagely and say "Yep - that's anti-Bush fer sure - I ain't gonna see it".

How do you say "paranoia"?

pipersfather
29th May 2005, 15:35
Revenge of the Sith was filmed two years ago, maybe Bush read the script then.

So did Lucas base his films on Bush or did Bush base his campaign on the film?