PDA

View Full Version : Possibly Moving to AMS

AirYard
24th May 2005, 11:53
I know this may not be the right place to post this question, so apologies in advance.
Just put it here, as so many of you may be based there and know it a lot better than I do (hockey, beer, drunk evenings!, oh the shame)

Have been informed the airline is moving local base to AMS, and wanting a lot of us to go.

However, would like to know if anyone has websites or info on where one could find flats, accomodation, tax info, and general living costs.

Would be much appreciated.

Thanks

AY

suppie
25th May 2005, 11:09
Wondering which airline yr working for
for houses u can try for example www.directwonen.nl
click the britisch flag for english....or try on google
apartments netherlands and u will get a lot of sites
tax in the Netherlands r generally 19pct...living costs due r pritty high also due to the Euro

AirYard
25th May 2005, 14:10
well we don't fly pax:p

and it has a bridge in the colour scheme:p

Should help you enough.

But thank again for the info, helps immensely.

Ta
AY

Jhieminga
25th May 2005, 14:31
Good luck on finding a place! As Amsterdam is pretty crowded and affordable accomodation could be scarce, you might be better off looking at places around AMS instead, I can recommend Haarlem as a good place to live.

Accomodation in/around Amsterdam is generally somewhat more expensive than the rest of the country, just be prepared for that. You could try Googling for 'huurwoningen' (houses for rent) and the name of the place you're interested in. You'll get Dutch language results that way, which might be good practice for you! :p

AirYard
25th May 2005, 14:48
Amstelveen has been mentioned a couple of times to me, is it anygood?.....or better off near the town?

piton
25th May 2005, 14:53
You could also try www.elynx.nl a website for english language speakers in nl. They have rental ads and you can sign up for a weekly newsletter to get the new ones.

The 19% tax suppie mentions is only BTW (VAT) but that's included in prices. Income tax goes up to 50%. If you have to move becase of your job you might qualify for the 35% rule - ask a tax advisor (again check elynx or www.expatica.nl)

pm me if you need more info

Jhieminga
25th May 2005, 20:17
Amstelveen is right next to Amsterdam (you'll need to know where to look to find the dividing line) and is generally accepted to be the 'posh' suburb of Amsterdam. Good place to live as far as I know. A 25-30 minute tram ride will get you to the center of Amsterdam from most locations around Amstelveen. To get an idea of where it's located, type the placename into http://www.maps24.com