PDA

View Full Version : Irish doing ATPLs

1800-how'smyflying
24th May 2005, 01:19
Hey people and Walshy,

Just out of curiousity was wondering how many Irish people there are out there who have either completed their training and are looking for jobs or are looking to have completed it all by the end of this year?

I know there are 4 of us in AFT in Florida, and a few others have gone through before us, just looking for a rough guesstimate, so stick up a post!!

Cheers,

tu154
24th May 2005, 01:31
At bristol for mod 2 a couple of weeks ago there were 2 of us in mod 2 and 1 in mod 1. Was about the same when I did mod 1.
Strangely the 2 of us were helis this time, heli numbers in general were way up this time around.

Emerald flyer
24th May 2005, 09:16
Hi,
I'm about to leave for Canada where I'm doing the CPL and MEP course (at a JAR approved FTO). I'll hopefully do the IR back in Europe in the autumn.
Its unfortunate that the job prospects for those of us who complete our training this year don't seem too rosy.
Its been quite some time (like several years) that we've been chanting in unison that "the pool of type rated guys/gals will dry up soon and we'll get our luck break".
However, this doesn't seem to be happening, at least not in the larger scheme of things.
Regarding the Irish market : "1 in 50 chance of getting into Aer Arann" I've read somewhere and Ryanair requires us to dig pretty deep too as we all know!
Ah well, its got to change sometime! best of luck!
;)

TolTol
24th May 2005, 09:18
Two on my DL course, probably be finished flight training in first quater of next year. About four others starting MOD1 of course, they will probably be finished middle of next year.

Any ideas what your going to do when finished? Where are you going to look for that first RHS?

pipergirl
24th May 2005, 16:23
well, fingers crossed, I should have everything complete by Christmas :cool: ...that's the plan anyway;)

pipergirl
24th May 2005, 17:53
:confused:

I think you better look for permanent residency to the moon...
what do you all say to chipping a few quid together to buy the sandwich that is obviously missing from The96er's picnic?

EGAC_Ramper
24th May 2005, 19:54
Well just to add to the post there is 2 in my modular class at Oxford including myself aswell as another in APP class.:D

Regards :ok:

1800-how'smyflying
24th May 2005, 20:08
Well I was looking for an indication of how many Irish people are doing their ATPLs, I didn't make any comments about the English so don't come here crying racism, my point was I don't care what you have to say with your average "96" and condesending remarks.

Also do you normally make up facts in a discussion? The ATPLs have an 18 month window and we both know people often cut it close, this brings up the average alot. Well I'm not getting ropped into this conversation with you, so lets get back to the topic at hand.

pipergirl
24th May 2005, 22:50
most people do their ATPL's in 6 months

that is not true....it could be the case if you are not working and dedicate yourself to the ATPL studies fulltime.
Most of the people(who are all employed pilots) i know who have done the exams have completed them in a time frame ranging from a year upwards. You have to remember 96er that a lot of people have partners,children and other commitments that doesn't simply let them drop everything to rush themselves through exams in a six month period...I did my exams over a 10 month period and i work fulltime, which I thought was pretty good going

drop the attitude about pass averages and time frames of course/exam completion, it isn't relevant at the end of the day. It is the same qualification whether it took two months or eighteen months..but then again if it makes up for something you are lacking in your life, please, feel free to continue....
by the way, just out of interest, do u wear a size four shoe or drive an excessively huge car?

Dougle Mcguire
25th May 2005, 11:26
1800, What can I say............. Pure quality. You cant beat getting straight to the point. Ahhh, its like being at home. Pipergirl, thats it take no crap. As for that other fool....... just remember............would you like fries with that. Do you know that beeping sound that tells you when the fries are done.......... You could pretend its your 1000ft to go warning.

too_sleepy
25th May 2005, 14:05
Hi
There's an increasing number of us back home in Ireland now. Pan Aviaiton, Waterford and NFC all run ATPL courses. There's a lot of heli guys around. Poor fellas have to study sub and super sonic flight and airline ops, what a waste of time for them.

Slightly off topic, but my new gripe is all those pilots and almost pilots bitching about the business, giving advice never to enter the aviation business. Recently a captain chewed my bleedin ear for 30 minutes about being a pilot. The world was against him, he didn't have enough money, he hated his job. Well I'm in the same position in a different business and you know what, I'm doing something about it getting out and starting somehting new and challanging. And what do these pilots say, don't do it stay where you are. Listen to yourselves.
Sorry for the very off topic moan.

On a happier note, new terminal and runway in Dublin can only be good for pilot jobs in Ireland.

pipergirl
25th May 2005, 15:02
my, oh my...this thread has shrunk in size....;)

CarbHeatIn
25th May 2005, 15:56
2 of us in phase C, Residential, at London Met. Going pretty well so far!

FireFoxDown
25th May 2005, 16:15
Im starting with FTE in Jerez at the end of June - due to be finished August 06 . . . :)

pipergirl
25th May 2005, 16:53
FireFoxDown-
i'm thinking of doing the ME/IR course in FTE in October...
best of luck with it+let me know how u find it

:D

FireFoxDown
26th May 2005, 02:52
Thanks PiperG - yeah, stay in touch and ill give you the low down! :ok: