PDA

View Full Version : HELP please

tommyH
23rd May 2005, 23:11
I am 26 and have always wanted to fly. Ideally id like to wind up flying smaller aircraft where there is more hands on flying involved, but also appreciate the lure of money and stability with airline flying. I have £39,000. I plan on doing an ATPL which i was going to do with EFT in Florida (going abroad seems to be cheaper) EFT seem quality but now seem full. also i dont think i would be able to afford to get MEI, but would i need this to get a job instructing?, would i need the masses of ME hours to get an airline job? are there cheaper schools than EFT that are quality and can offer you an instructors job possibly? ive read on hear about OAT and FTE, but ive heard from people at EFT that FTE are not good. what jobs are available to low hour pilots? do i need loads of airline experience to get into more alternative types of flying, stunt flying, seaplanes, aid flying, air ambulance, forest fires, coastguard, etc etc? Do you only become ATPL once you have 1500 hours? and what is a frozen ATPL? Are the schools in South Africa to the same standards as europe and America? Ive got so many unanswered questions, i'll stop there for now. if anyone can answer any of these for me i would be most greatful. thankyou

kissmysquirrel
24th May 2005, 06:30
You sayyou have £39k. Okay. Have you got a class 1 medical passed yet? If not, do that first.
You could, in theory, do all of your training in the UK with the money you have, including the instructor rating. You just need to break down each course cost and look for good deals. ie PPL=£5k, Hour building=£20k. ATPL's=£2500. You could always buy a share in a small a/c for the hour building then sell when you have done the hours. I bought a share in a Warrior for £1750 and it cost £35hr to fly it and £50/month for hangarage etc. That was inclusive of fuel. Training in the USA isn't always cheaper overall. You have living expenses to take into acount, travelling, etc.
Do the math, but get the Class 1 medical first!!
Good luck.

tommyH
24th May 2005, 11:58
thanks man, but i was under the impression that it was very difficult for low hour pilots fresh from graduating to find work, which is why i was going to do the intergrated course and work instructing to build up my hours.

So does it work out cheaper buying a share in an aircraft? are you sure that i would be able to afford all the necessary licences in the UK?

Also i was gonna go to the states to get jaa and faa licences?

any thoughts?