PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camcorder/ Computer Connection Problems

Tosh McCaber
23rd May 2005, 20:40
Next problem! Can anyone help with the (non) connection of my Sony digital camcorder, please? Firstly, when I connected it to the computer (Win 2000) by Firewire, using Pinnacle Studio 8, it told me that initialisation had failed. It’s not showing on the Imaging Devices, in the Device Manager, either.

More significantly, when I first connected, in the Device Manager, in the IEEE1394 Bus host controllers tab- (Firewire) it read “NEC OHCI Compliant IEEE1394 Compliant Host Controller”, with a yellow exclamation mark. So, I uninstalled it, and then tried using the associated “scan for hardware changes” tab. The computer promptly shut down.

On rebooting, the yellow exclamation mark had gone away. Unfortunately, on hooking up the camcorder again, it still wouldn’t connect, and the whole process started again.

The weird thing is that I did manage to connect the camcorder a few months ago, just after I bought the Firewire card.

Any thoughts or suggestions, anybody? Bloody Computers!!

rustle
23rd May 2005, 21:17
Are you trying to get stills from the memory stick, or video from the tape?

Tosh McCaber
24th May 2005, 05:51
Video from the tape.

spannersatcx
24th May 2005, 10:46
Have a look at the pinnacle support faq here (http://pinnacle.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/pinnacle.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2716&p_created=1055431034&p_sid=ng1A5dGh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3d fY250PTI5MSZwX3Byb2RzPTM5LDQwJnBfY2F0cz0wJnBfcHY9Mi40MCZwX2N 2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuYV9pZCZwX3BhZ2U9Mw**&p_li=&p_topview=1) it takes you through logical steps, it sounds like the ieee1394 drivers may be corrupt, hope it helps.

Memetic
24th May 2005, 12:56
Did you have play pressed? Last time I tried this (not with a Sony) the camera was not detected until I presses play. I could then control the camer via the firewire link.

Tosh McCaber
24th May 2005, 13:42
Thanks for that. I'll try pressing "Play", but I don't think that that's the problem- it seems to be more likely to be the Firewire card.

As I mentioned, when I pressed the "Scan for hardware changes" button, my computer immediately conked out! I'm going to try sticking the Firewire card into another PCI slot.

As I mentioned, I'm running Win 2000. I can't remember the card came with a driver CD, or whether, (I think), Win 2000 has drivers installed already. Anyone know?