PDA

View Full Version : FAA Licences

His dudeness
23rd May 2005, 19:07
Good day Gents,
I need a FAA Licence (pref.ATP) asap.
Pre 911, this was no problem.
Does anybody know the proper way nowadays (My background: JARATP / 6200 hrs / 1000 hrs MPA / FIA / CRI / CRE)

Thanks

Edited for spelling

2Donkeys
23rd May 2005, 20:12
You sit the multi-choice ground exam (there is only 1) and fly the FAA ATP Flight test.

That's all there is to it.

2D

PorcoRosso
24th May 2005, 00:13
Well, am afraid it's no longer that simple, since TSA would like to hear from candidates .... I suggest you contact the FAA representative (via the US embassy ) in your country . He will let you know , exactly, the required procedures . Some organisations, like Flight Safety International are quite used to these requests . (and you can take the written exam at their facilities )
I know of two friends who recently took this way. Lot of paperwork was involved, quite a lenghty process, but nothing really difficult .
Keep us informed

2Donkeys
24th May 2005, 06:04
I had assumed that the question related to the Flight Crew Licensing perspective, not TSA and other associated crud.

The TSA paperwork is not as bad as some people make out, but it is time-consuming.

2D

prafn
26th May 2005, 14:01
Check out the FARS (www.faa.gov) for aeronautical experience required (FAR 61.159) , although I'm sure you qualify with 6200TT. You can also prep for the written with a number of books- try Gleim- do a search not sure what the web site is. Written is very simple all multi guess. Do your check ride in a multi engine otherwise you'll end up with a SE ATP- not much use!
They seem to concentrate more on the practical side of things than the theory- more emphasis on flying. The practical test standards (PTS also on faa.gov) will give you an idea of what you will get on the check ride.
Good Luck!:ok:

V1 Rotate
26th May 2005, 18:06
You can do it in the UK.

A very nice man called Robert Spencer can help you.

V1

His dudeness
26th May 2005, 18:33
Thanks so far...

V1, do you have contct details for guy ?

KitKatPacificuk
26th May 2005, 21:05
At the mo it's difficult to get the examiners over here to do the checkride.

You'll probably have to go to the US.

All the TSA fingerprinting etc, counts over here as well as the US. It's FAA training not just training in the US.

fernytickles
28th May 2005, 02:44
I did the ATP last year, with just about the same number of hours as you have, and a 15 year old FAA CPL. Used Gleim book and CD-Rom for the written and passed fine, then used these guys - http://www.atpflightschool.com/index.html - for the flying, 1.5 hr training and 1.5 hr flight test - bluidy hard work, but fun in a sick kind of way.... I had been flying in the US for 3 years prior to doing the flight test.

V1 Rotate
28th May 2005, 09:34
His Dudeness..........PM me and I will give you Robert's details.

V1

pilotbear
28th May 2005, 10:16
The nearest place to the UK to do the written exam is at Flight Safety in Le Bourget, Paris. There is no-one in the UK. The guy at Norwich is being prosecuted by the DTF for illegal activities at the moment.
I have just done it so I know.
The Flight test will probably have to be done in the States because there is an issue again with the UK government and it is hard to get examiners to come over. I am doing mine in Dubai with my type rating in the sim.
You will have top go through the TSA procedure and it takes time. Use the website https://www.flightschoolcandidates.gov/

You need to be enrolled at a school first to start the process.
You will probably be a Class 4 applicant which means you may not have to do fingerprinting, it is all explained on the site. Also any questions to [email protected].
I also highly recommend the Gleim CD with about 1 month intense study.
Good luck

FLEXJET
28th May 2005, 10:46
The Gleim book is good value as well and I found it more convenient than facing a computer for hours.
Take the 135, it has less questions to study!
3 weeks were enough for me, studying 3 to 5 hours a day.

Contact at FSI Le Bourget for FAA tests is Mrs Maud Dubosq
+33 149 921 924

pilotbear
28th May 2005, 14:17
The reason that I suggest the PC is the test is on the pc and if you have a laptop you can do practice tests in the same format as the real thing anywhere, plus it monitors your progress on a cumulative basis.;)

His dudeness
28th May 2005, 18:06
thanks again, since my company is enrolled at FSI Le Bourget, IŽll give it a try there.