PDA

View Full Version : New CPL - What should I do next?

lmiller
23rd May 2005, 11:50
I am a New Pilot just about to finish my CPL(H) i am all lost about what to do so if someone could help me out would be a big big help.

Do i carry on and get my CFI?? or do i go and look for a job with the 160 odd hrs i have??

What kind of job is best for hour building?? I am willing to do anything at all to get my hours up (coming from a farm in New Zealand i have done most things anyway)!!!!!

Is it better to just go and work my lil ass off and get some $$ and pay for hr building??

Is it true that kiwi Heli pilots have a good name around the world??

:D

Freewheel
24th May 2005, 00:43
I can only reply to your last question based upon my experience.

Did you training school tell you this? I find a very mixed bag. Of the best pilots I could count on my fingers, 2 are New Zealanders. Neither live in New Zealand. Of the worst pilots I could count on my fingers, there are 5 New Zealanders, none of whom live in New Zealand either. The odds probably get better when I take my shoes & socks off, but it's not a good look. (to be honest, I don't know where they all did their initial training, but training isn't everything)

Before you chime in Steve, I haven't met you, so I can't comment!

I'm getting a big old now to maintain generalisations based upon these individuals, but of all nations I have dealt with, I find that those who take particular pride in their nationality and love to shove it in people's faces are trying to balance some sort of a chip on their shoulder. The bad pilots generally had this chip. The good ones didn't. The exceptions in the bad crowd were just plain d!ckheads, pure and simple.

In short, and it's worked for me, don't get caught up with your national pride, self love or anything else. Attitude is all in aviation, keeping it positive and balanced will help you keep your hand on the big stick and concentrate on the task at hand. Celebrate the differences in your upbringing, celebrate when (if) the all blacks beat the wallabies, but don't go thinking it makes you special to anyone but your mother.

Good luck with it all, and by all means travel all the world. It's a great life for the nomad....

SASless
24th May 2005, 01:08
Please note I have taken the high road and avoided making a post connecting the following dots....

Imiller, Kiwiland, Farm, "I am willing to do anything", and "I have done most things anyway!".

I am proud of myself....

Put your nose to the grind stone....work like heck....prove yourself....and keep a weather eye for opportunity. If you dedicate yourself to your goal....it will happen if you have the natural ability and drive that it takes.

The helicopter industry needs newcomers and somewhere and somehow you will find that avenue to success. People will judge you on your performance and attitude....not from whence you come.

Seek guidance from those that are going down that road in front of you and garner all the knowledge you can from them. Try to avoid making the same mistakes they did. Corner experienced pilots and talk directly to them about what they think the right path is.

:ok:

Kruger63
24th May 2005, 07:08
Imiller...congradulations on your commercial licence you have just passed a very big hurdle on your way to an aviation career. You certainly will not have a career without a CPL.
I also am a Kiwi and have been in exactly the same position as you. My opinion is you have at this stage two options

1. Go and work as a loader driver for an Ag operator and hopefully getting a few hours up with maintenance and ferry flights and possibly obtaining an ag rating with your employer which can be worked off.(If he is an E cat and if you want to be an Ag pilot) or
2. Do an Instructor rating which can also be worked off with most training organisations. You will get alot of hours but will not be paid much until you get a bit more experience. There also is the problem of 200 PIC before you can obtain an instructor rating.

The way I got hours was part time work at a training organisation doing ferry flights and small commercial jobs until I had enough PIC for the instructor rating and then I was away.

Gook luck