PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with such an idiot??

Banjo
23rd May 2005, 00:07
I have been present to witness some pretty stupid things done in and around aircraft, in fact I have been responsible for a large proportion of them. This Saturday though I saw a demonstration of stupidity, irresponsibility and dangerous flying the like of which I have not seen for many a long year.

I was at Bristol Airport waiting in the GA terminal to meet some Pax to fly over to the FA cup final in Wales. As is the norm at these events there were the usual collection of Lear’s, citations and assorted Biz jets arriving disgorging there owners for us to transport onwards. As we pilots stood around waiting and watching (this means drinking lots of coffee and telling war stories as pilots are prone to do when you get more than two together) we noticed a blue 109 screaming across the approach to the active runway.

Once it crossed the runway it preceded to bank tightly and race across the airport. Its style of flying and approach path attracting the attention of all those pilots present and eliciting the phrase “what the f**K is he doing” and other such similar professional observations. He then came to the hover some 40ft over the two parked fuel bowsers.

At this point the FBO staff began to ask us if the aircraft or pilot was with any of our operations as they had no booking for him and did not know who he was. None of the companies there had anything to do with the aircraft in question and we continued to watch in awe (and relief that he was not “one of ours”) as the pilot chose to remain in the high hover over the bowsers while carrying out several spot turns.

The FBO staff sent out marshals to try and park the aircraft but this was not to be, our intrepid pilot choosing not to notice them preferring instead to fly around the south side of the airport for a while taking in the scenery. The marshals in their high-vis clothing and paddles waving had no effect at all on this pilot who eventually having picked his spot to park proceeded to land from a 40ft hover in a fashion that lead those watching to assume he had just had the misfortune of a double engine failure. This was not the case however and once the ground crew had managed to hike over to the aircraft and get the pilots attention he was repositioned to the apron.

By this time a member of ATC suffering from a rather high blood pressure condition rang up to enquire who the bl***y h**l had been flying the 109 and if it was not too much trouble could he possible spare five minutes to explain why he had not felt the need to avail himself of their services during his arrival at the airport.

It turned out that they had first noticed him cruising in at around 130 knots or so and could not raise him on the radio. He continued to fly on without calling anyone (not squawking 7600) and entered the zone. Once in the zone he continued on without slowing and with a couple of course changes en route shot an approach to the south side, direct from the north, cutting across the active and forcing an Easy Jet airbus to be sent around and the Beech 200 following it before beginning his exploration of the airport grounds.

No one had any booking info for the aircraft and during his approach and high hover practice he did not speak to Radar or Tower despite them calling him some 60 times on all frequencies during his 5 minutes of fame. He had in fact come in to collect the passengers from one of the corporate planes who were going to the match and having met them on the parking area started to load them aboard his aircraft. At this point he was invited inside to have a little chat leaving his passengers stranded in the helicopter.

Now I have, as said earlier, done some pretty brain dead things in my time but I do not believe that even I could have performed such a display of moronic stupidity and dangerous flying (I wait to be proven wrong). One error after another and another culminated in a flight that had I not been there to witness it I would have felt to be one of those famous exaggerated “war stories”. Before anyone asks, no he had not suffered a radio failure they were working fine and even if he had I would not have expected a PPL student to have handled such a situation anywhere nearly as bad. His aircraft was one hundred percent fine.

M.O.R.’s having been submitted by both approach and tower controllers on the pilot I ask what would others of you have happen to someone who displayed such behaviour?

“Were it to happen in America today the pilot would have probably been shot”. One of those watching suggested. A bloody good idea being the general consensus of everyone else present.

kissmysquirrel
23rd May 2005, 05:04
Was it just blue? Dark, Light or with any other colours?
Reg?

jellycopter
23rd May 2005, 05:29
Surely there's a PPruner out there that remembered the Reg # of the heli and would care to enlighten us. When we next encounter it on frequency (if we encounter it on frequency), we can then give it a very wide berth. J

paco
23rd May 2005, 05:31
Sounds like it belongs to a merchant banker

phil

23rd May 2005, 06:00
I wonder what his arrival at Cardiff was like? If ATC have complained then the CAA must be duty-bound to investigate, if this pilot isn't reigned in quickly he is probably going to kill someone flying like that.

ShyTorque
23rd May 2005, 07:08
It was possibly a police pilot trying out his new helicopter and "honing his skills"?

If so, he is not guilty.

:rolleyes:

Heliport
23rd May 2005, 08:14
kissmysquirrel and jellycopter

Banjo probably knows the registration, but has very properly not posted it.

We don't allow aircraft or pilots to be identified in threads of this sort.

Heliport

Banjo
23rd May 2005, 08:50
I do know the A/C Reg having watched the entire event and chatted to the ATC chaps afterwards.

However as pointed out by Heliport this is not the sort of thread that identification of the pilot or aircraft would be allowed and that was my reason for not including it in the original post.

I am merely interested to know how most other pilots think such behaviour should be dealt with as, although the majority thought drastic measures were required, a couple of pilots thought he had not done much wrong and a quick chat would suffice. This left me wondering what others' opinions would be.

kissmysquirrel
23rd May 2005, 09:28
Having flown at Bristol one weekend and not knowing the area as well as I should have, I admit to being slightly late on a call to ATC regarding my position. Okay, so ATC were on the phone to my employer and I was given a hard time over it, and at the time, I believed ATC went way over the top. Anyway, if the incident did occur as you say then I can't believe this won't go much further with the ATCO's there. Hopefully the pilot will be severely reprimanded by ATC/CAA etc and if anyone who witnessed the event can prove it, I would suggest a word to his employer may be in order. Helicopters get bad press as it is so we can do without any further bad publicity.

Maybe he had a good reason for his actions but reading the above post, it doesn't sound like it. More like recklessness?

UwantME2landWHERE!
23rd May 2005, 09:40
The pilot should be strung up, get a damn good thrashing, six of the best........trousers down:ooh: :p

....and no blubbing, they'd have to take it like a man, even if she wasn't.

That'll teach the young whippersnappers:E

Banjo
23rd May 2005, 09:54
UwantME2landWHERE!

spoken like a true member of the Twenty Minuters.

No battle-dodgin, nappy-wearing, "I'd rather have a cup of tea than charge stark naked at jerry" about you. If your willing to stand up and speak your mind then you're all right by me, and welcome to marry my sisiter any day.

Martin Q Blank
23rd May 2005, 10:01
This would be the same person who was actually talking to an adjacent ATC unit at the time, making them think he was inbound them ;)

The word "Planning" (the lack of it) springs into mind :* - the pilot involved shouldn't even be let near a model aircraft for the rest of his days!

UwantME2landWHERE!
23rd May 2005, 10:17
Banjo,

is that just because you'd be happy to get her out of the house:p

.......something to do with the noise she makes when she eats a boiled egg.:ok:

Ah, the basis for an entire culture........:E

Banjo
23rd May 2005, 10:37
Ah how true,

now I'm of for tea and medals.;)

3 ROMEO MIKE
23rd May 2005, 15:08
Sounds like the kind of "pilot" that peruse's the JH Forum !!!

lionco
23rd May 2005, 16:04
It was possibly a police pilot trying out his new helicopter and "honing his skills"?
ShyTorque, He was flying irresponsibly!
He was NOT taxiing at breakneck speeds. ;)

Heliport
23rd May 2005, 18:32
Would your views be any different if the explanation was error rather than recklessness, eg if the pilot had mistakenly confused Bristol and Filton frequencies?

I seem to remember that Northolt has had some unexpected approaches by airliners thinking they were about to land at LHR. Not sure if they've ever had one actually land.

Banjo
23rd May 2005, 19:26
Heliport,
I applaud your looking for the best in people and reasons for errors, I know I do so very often myself (due to my many mistakes) however in this case I find it hard to justify.

While it is always possible to dial up the wrong frequency it is a sign of poor cockpit managment. Also once in contact with the facility their callsign should alert you to your error, (Filton sounding somewhat different from Bristol Radar).

As to airport identification in the planning stages (should said pilot believe he was inbound to Filton and was talking to his destination) then I would suggest that mistaking an airfield at 622ft AMSL on a lonely hilltop for one at 226ft AMSL on the edge of a very large metropolis is not a sign of good airmanship or basic navigation.

I am afraid that we sometimes have to simply admit that as with the roads there are people out there who should not hold a licence.

ShyTorque
23rd May 2005, 22:41
We all decry "Sunday Drivers" but of course, there are many "Sunday Fliers" out there, too. Some of 'em even get let out on Saturdays ;)

chopperchav
24th May 2005, 16:56
Sounds like it belongs to a merchant banker #

Please explain.

headsethair
24th May 2005, 17:14
"merchant banker" - cockney rhyming slang ?

chopperchav
25th May 2005, 07:06
What a mike hunt i am. Cheers.

helicopter-redeye
25th May 2005, 09:45
error rather than recklessness, eg if the pilot had mistakenly confused Bristol and Filton frequencies?

Controlled airspace innit (persooing the Cockney feme furvver)? Remain clear of controlled airspace & all that?

:\ :8