PDA

View Full Version : Summer Employment

pulse
22nd May 2005, 12:24
Hey all,

I am currently just about to finish my second year at University on an Air Transport Management course, and during this summer I am very much interested in gaining employment in ground ops at either SOU or LHR.

I have written many letters and emails, but so far no luck. I was just wondering if it is possible to gain summer employment or do no ground handling companies offer such a short term contract?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.

MMEMatty
9th Jun 2005, 22:04
Hi Pulse;

I'm a second year Aviation Tech and Management stude, and have just started a summer palcement at a firm at a NE Airport.

When did you start applying? If you are only applying now then it is probably too late, and you should start again next year.

Who are you applying to? perhaps instead of firing off random letters/emails to "head of operations"; "Airport Manager" try to find out the name of the person in charge. at least then you know it will reach a real person. you'd be amazed at the numbre of faxes, e-mails, letters, phone calls etc that come through ops, and unless you know your letter will definately reach someones desk, chances are it will be buried. I know Servisair have names and contact details on their website (or they used to) but it takes some finding.

I would also imagine being able to get into work will be a big bonus, so i would be tempted to only apply for local companies (eg if you are south coast, perhaps Bournemouth, Southampton etc, and forget LHR unless you can make it there for some v e r y early starts).

these are pretty general guidelines / observations, i dont know what its like "darn sarf", except that it is sometimes possible, but you have to persevere ( I sent out about 30 -35 letters and only ever got one reply, which turned into this placement).

Hope this helps a little (its not much but i'd rather put down things i am certain about than conjecture)

Matty

UPSAirOps
10th Jun 2005, 04:18
pulse, are you by any chance at Loughborough University?

I'd have thought the best sort of people to apply to are actual ground handling agents rather than the airlines themselves. Seems to be a lot more opportunities for overtime and suchlike over Summer so best of luck to you.

pulse
15th Jun 2005, 20:26
Hey guys – cheers for the replies..

I have tried Servsiair and Aviance-UK…including speaking to them directly on the phone, but they said they didn’t have anything for just the summer – it’s not looking good to be fair!!

Oh and yes I am at Loughborough…

P.

UPSAirOps
20th Jun 2005, 15:03
Have you thought of applying for a customer services/checkin type role and then working your way in through there to an Operations side of things?

flying_tyger
5th Jul 2005, 15:44
there a bit of a lboro ATM crew thing going on here :P

I know there is another one of us floating around on here! did you guys manage to get placements sorted?