PDA

View Full Version : Transport Cafes

kangaroota
22nd May 2005, 11:07
Last century while hitch hiking around Britain I was taken off the motorways and on to the 'A' roads by a number of lorry drivers to sample the haute-cuisine offered by the roadside transport cafes of the day. With the advance of the motorways, they were a dying breed, but I have very fond memories of their bacon butties and buckets of tea - all for a pound!!

If the establishment was vying for three Michelin stars, an egg might even be offered!!

I'm planning a trip back to Old Blighty next month and was wondering if anyone knew if any of these old time transport cafe's still existed, if so, where?

Gainesy
22nd May 2005, 11:14
Plenty still going strong; here you go mate:
http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/

(Drop links at left of page).

Heatseeker
22nd May 2005, 11:15
Can't answer your question Kanga but I fondly remember stopping at a Kafe just south of Grantham on the A1 (none of this M rubbish back then) and having a meal which consisted of bread cut 1 inch thick and drinking tea out of mugs whose rims were 2 inches thick.

Total bliss it was. Ah, nostalgia IS what it used to be.

H

Onan the Clumsy
22nd May 2005, 13:43
Yeah, I stopped off at one last year and it was bloody marvelous. I flew into Gatwick then I sort of headed west to see my sister, but I didn't take a direct route. Consequently I have no idea where this heaven on earth was :{, but I have a photograph somewhere that I can add and maybe someone will recognise it.

:8

lexxity
22nd May 2005, 13:45
Oh the Midway cafe on the A something in shropshire, proper bacon, loads of beans, toast as thick as bricks, top place.

here you go the exact details

http://www.transportcafe.co.uk/midway.html

Wholigan
22nd May 2005, 17:35
We used to go to a place called "Tony's" on the A1 after dining in nights --- still in Mess Kit! The standard order was "full fry, mug of tea and a wad please", which for our foreign cousins translates as: a couple of fried eggs; loads of bacon; sausages; mushrooms; fried potatoes; fried bread; tomatoes; a huuuuge tea in an enamel mug; and the thickest chunks of bread you've ever seen.

Hit the spot awesomely well at 3 or 4 o'clock in the morning.

M.Mouse
22nd May 2005, 17:55
Marvellous, heart attack on a plate.

Sultan Ismail
22nd May 2005, 17:56
Bacon Butties and pots of tea

Transport cafes on the A1 brings back memories of the Stamford By-pass, the Grantham By-pass, Newark By-pass, Retford By-pass, Doncaster By-pass then I emigrated.

Heatseeker I remember that one North end of the Stamford By-pass :ok:

Dead_Heading
22nd May 2005, 18:23
Bacon Doorsteps, pure bliss, my arteries clang just thinking of them :ok:

VP8
22nd May 2005, 18:52
The one at the back of Leeming was the best at 0'dark hundred hours for a tea and wad :ok:

VEEPS

ShyTorque
22nd May 2005, 21:23
Sultan Ismail,

".....memories of the Stamford By-pass, the Grantham By-pass, Newark By-pass, Retford By-pass, Doncaster By-pass then I emigrated. Heatseeker I remember that one North end of the Stamford By-pass."

After that lot of cholestorol it's as well you emigrated - or you might have been needing a quadruple heart By-pass by now :p

allan907
23rd May 2005, 03:49
When last 'back home' in the summer of 2003 there were a number of goodly establishments situated in the layby immediately north of the Clumber Park roundabout on the A1.

The queue of parked trucks (sorry, lorries) was about a mile long so it says something for the quality of grub there!

Loose rivets
23rd May 2005, 04:37
Please, please send a food parcel...containing British bacon. In 30 years I have never seen a decent lean rasher here.:ugh:

angels
23rd May 2005, 06:50
Ah! Transport cafes, a subject close to my heart (sic).

There are still plenty around, so don't worry. The links you've been offered will help, but really there aren't that many bad ones. If you seen one with a goodly population of diners, it'll probably be okay.

My fave is two fried eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatos, mushrooms and.....chips! :ok:

PS - cholesterol count was 5.3 at last medical. A tad above 5.0, but doctor not concerned.

Oh, edited to add you'll be talking about around a fiver for a big brekkie nowadays.