PDA

View Full Version : Some help needed re airlines ex Kabul

skipster
22nd May 2005, 11:06
Gday all.
I know this is not quite your neck of the woods but I need some advice for a cousin of mine on a contract (not flying related) near Kabul. He needs to get out in a month or so to London via Dubai and has told me that his options are Camair (Cameroon Airlines?), Ariana (not sure if spelling correct) or with the UN (twice as expensive as the other two). He doesn't fly and is new to that part of the world, and my experience is limited to airlines in the UK and Australia plus a few mates in Cathay and Emirates. All a long way from Kabul-the closest I've got to Afghan soil is about 32000 feet and the wonderful experience of shouting for Kabul on the HF! Any advice/opinion greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and regards to all.

A300Man-2005
22nd May 2005, 11:35
Cam Air is actually Kam Air, and un-related to Cameroon Airlines. They currently fly with Boeing 737-200's ex Kabul, if I am not mistaken.

The ONLY other option to DXB is Ariana (The National Airline of Afghanistan). I think they have daily flights, using either Boeing 727-200ADV or A300B4 (the latter primarily being ex Indian Airlines Aircraft). They have recently added an A310 aircraft too apparently. All three types are used on various days to Dubai.

Of those two options, Ariana seems to get a better name. But, don't hold me to that. Only going by hearsay.

Cheers.

newscaster
22nd May 2005, 14:11
He can also take the LCC Air Arabia which operates A320 Kabul-Sharjah twice weekly Monday and Friday, I'm sure a much better option that the three you have mentioned.

www.airarabia.com

Other than that PIA (Pakistan International Airlines)also fly Kabul-Peshawar once a week with a 737-300 from where he can catch Emirates A330-200 to Dubai, they also fly thrice weekly Kabul-Islamabad 737 (one flight is via Peshawar) from where he can get on Emirates 777-200ER.

From Peshawar he can also fly Qatar Airways A300 or A320, Gulf Air A320, Gulf Traveller 767, Saudi Arabian 777.

From Islamabad British Airways 777 nonstop to LHR thrice weekly, Emirates 777, Saudi Arabian 777, Qatar Airways A300, Gulf Air A330, Gulf Travller 767, Kuwait Airways A320/321.

vfenext
22nd May 2005, 17:27
A serious amount of plane spotting goin on here! What do you want to be when you grow up guys, train drivers?

cargosales
23rd May 2005, 03:00
Anorak on..

Air Arabia is getting some good press here. And Sharjah to Dubai is only a US$15 taxi ride. Can take a while though - the traffic is awful in the morning. Need to allow at least a couple of hours..

A taxi from Sharjah to Abu Dhabi would be around US$50 but the Etihad flights from there to London are often substantially cheaper than carriers from Dubai. Did that a couple of months ago and they were pretty good actually.

Etihad run a coach (nice bus) from Dubai down to Abu Dhabi (it can be cheaper to book Etihad from DXB - London than from Abu Dhabi to London). They also fly to both LGW and LHR which may be useful?

Hope that helps

CS

skipster
23rd May 2005, 04:09
Thanks all, very decent of you to take the time. Might be plane-spotterish but extremely useful info for someone who is not in the know.

newscaster
23rd May 2005, 11:30
The reason I listed aircraft types were so your cousin could know the various big, small new, old ones he can choose from.

Kam Air also have 767s which fly to Dubai unless they have been phased out, the Ariana A300's are ex-Air India.

From Peshawar and Islamabad two other Pakistani carriers Shaheen Air and Aero Asia also fly to Dubai, offering much cheaper fares, Shaheen uses 737-200, Aero Asia use the same as well and the DC-9/MD-83.

skipster
25th May 2005, 12:48
It is good gen, and much appreciated. A/c types are definitely a part of the equation-most important. I've emailed him the page and he's keeping an eye on it and has made decisions based on the advice from you guys. Thanksamill.