PDA

View Full Version : The best radio show...

X-QUORK
21st May 2005, 22:51
Well, I reckon it has to be Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 at 11pm every Saturday night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/bobharris/contact_done.shtml

Whirlygig
21st May 2005, 23:04
Best ever...?

I think I would have to go for the original Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. When it was first broadcast (and I am old enough to remember), it was fresh and funny.

I would also have to go for

I'm Sorry, I haven't a Clue
I'm Sorry, I Read That Again
The News Quiz; and
Just A Minute

Most of these have stood the test of time and are still broadcast.

Cheers

Whirls

Rollingthunder
21st May 2005, 23:08
Sorry, it's the Goon Show.

Followed for longevity reasons by the Archers.(don't listen to it but have always liked the opening music)

SmilingKnifed
21st May 2005, 23:17
Mark and Lard, great humour, they gave airplay to loads of great (and now successful bands) and they seemed to actually like each other and their audience.

IB4138
21st May 2005, 23:42
Goon Show
Round the Horn
Navy Lark
Beyond our Ken

Avtrician
22nd May 2005, 01:46
Must agree wit RT and IB,

The Goons was good, used to plug the crystal radio (I built it) in me ear (the earphone that is not the whole radio) and listen when supposed to be doing homework.

And My word was good too.

We used to get culture in the old days, now we get yank [email protected]

ChrisVJ
22nd May 2005, 04:11
Round the Horn

After RtH the Goon show sounded just too much like people who thought they were funny.

Wholigan
22nd May 2005, 04:30
Plus don't forget:

Dick Barton – Special Agent (with Jock and Snowy)

Journey Into Space

Hancock’s Half Hour

Much Binding In The Marsh

(Leaves self wide open to "How can we forget those when none of us were born in time to hear them and thus remember them" comments!) ;)

Wannabe Flyboy
22nd May 2005, 07:04
Is no-one going to suggest Steve Penk...

... no? I thought not. ;)

cyclicmicky
22nd May 2005, 07:15
Jools Holland plays some great stuff too!!
:E

Heatseeker
22nd May 2005, 08:06
Geez Wholigan

I can rember them. Journey into Space used to scare the crap out of me when it first started.

Also remember Dick Barton, and Life with the Lyons and all the rest that came after that. I can also remember being very unhappy when we got our first TV set as it meant I wouldn't be able to listen to the radio any more (that's what I thought at the time anyway)

Glad to see I'm not the only aged in the proon :D

H

None of the above
22nd May 2005, 08:47
It has to be 'Round the Horne'. Although the series is getting on for forty years old, it wears well and Kenneth Williams' tantrums are as funny as ever.

Currently being broadcast on BBC 7 on Wednesday at 0800, 1200 and 1900..

Jinkster
22nd May 2005, 10:25
Desert Island Discs isnt bad on BBCR4

I, however am not too keen on the Jeremy Vine programme in comparison with Jimmy Young! JV is a great presenter however I think the editor needs changing!

joe2812
22nd May 2005, 11:19
Probably going to be a highly unpopular choice but Chris Moyles for me, absolutely superb.

(Helmet on, chinstrap tightened...)

Also taken a liking to Scott Mills in the afternoons, flirt divert is classic! Radio 1 in general is good...just get rid of Sara Cox :mad:

At risk of sounding like an un-cool teenager who even knows of the existance of Radio 2, Jonathon Ross is highly amusing.

Rushton
22nd May 2005, 13:11
Musically, Yep i'll go along with x-quork on Bob Harris. But there's also the Freak Zone with Stuart Macone (Spel.?) on Radio 6 5pm on Sundays. Plus the Late Junction on Radio 3 (11pm usually) for some wonderful alternative music.

Historically - can agree with all the "i'm Sorry..., Navy Lark, Kenneth Horne, Goons etc.

And then there was Mike Raven's R & B show from the late 60s. That's when R & B meant Rhythm & Blues not this modern slush.

Rushy

FLCH
22nd May 2005, 15:26
One of the best radio shows is VHF 123.45 over the Atlantic....Gander, Gander or Shanwick,Shanwick XXX123 position over..or sometimes as a treat ,we get animal noises or snippets of crap choices in music from someones MP3 player..

Flyrr100
22nd May 2005, 15:36
In the late 70s-early 80s I worked at KLM Cargo LHR. On a Saturday morning we'd have Capital Radio on and all listen to Kenny Everett. Great fun!
Also loved Dave Cash's daily weekday quiz 'Cash on Delivery' on Capital.
In fact, I was a Capital Radio nut in the 70s/80s.

I also remember Johnny Walker on Radio 1, in the early 70's, on a Tuesday morning doing the new top 30 show. I was at high school then (Teddington Secondary) and it was all so important who was number one.

I recently aquired a 10 CD set of MP3s full of old Brit radio.
Love the old Dad's Army radio shows. And of course Handcock's Half Hour.

I love the old 'Just a Minute' shows with Kenneth Williams and Clement Froyd <sp>.

Davaar
22nd May 2005, 16:25
Yes Wholigan:

Dick Barton - Special Agent (plus Jock and Snowy), who were bumped by the Aaaarrrgh Archers. Numskull Wal'er Gabriel. How could the BBC do it?

Much Binding in the Marsh

Beyond our Ken ("I looked up an old friend last week....... Ghastly sight").

It's Monday Night at Eight O'Clock

That one with Lew Someoneorother from the 'Ammersmith Palais, featured a lot of Edmundo Ros

and before all of them

Into Battle!

Wholigan
22nd May 2005, 17:27
And - of course - the special treat of being allowed to stay up into the early morning to listen to the heavyweight boxing championship (there was only ONE!) radio commentary from America.

McAero
22nd May 2005, 19:05
I can't see past Jonathon Ross on a Saturday morning.

So what are everyones best stations?? I'd vote for Radio 2 at the moment. Can't stand Real Radio!!!! arrrghhh!!!

I'm moving down to West Sussex in August so any recommendations also appreciated!

cosworth211
22nd May 2005, 21:08
I second Mark and Lard, with Moyles and Scott Mills fighting for a close second...

You can't beat Mills's celebrity calls!

CoodaShooda
23rd May 2005, 00:01
I think I've managed to catch most of the classics already mentioned, re-broadcast on the Antipodean Broadcasting Company or on LP and magnificent they were .............but.......

you don't get the Coodabeen Champions :ok: :} :E

Howard Hughes
23rd May 2005, 00:31
you don't get the Coodabeen Champions

Ah yes I'm with Cooda the Coodabeen's are a classic!! ;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

See here (http://www.coodabeens.com.au/) and here. (http://www.gregchampion.com.au/)

Heatseeker
23rd May 2005, 07:03
Anybody remember

Archibald Barclay Willoughby aka PC 49 ?

Can't remember the name of the show but I thinkl it just pre-dated Dick Barton.

H

ORAC
23rd May 2005, 07:26
The weather report followed by "Gone Sailing" last thing at night on R4..... :O

Squawk 2650
23rd May 2005, 08:43
Got to be Chris Moyles! Only radio DJ I can listen to! Scot Mills is second but you cant beat the savour!! :ok:

L
:cool:

effortless
23rd May 2005, 09:03
I listen to Radio 4 pretty well twenty four hours a day. Getting old isn't a recipe for sleep I'm afraid. Favourites have all been mentioned but I must put in a plug for From Our Own Correspondent and The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Among my least favourites at the mo are religious programmes, Something Understood for instance. I tend to change to R3 when Home Truths comes on.

Jordan D
23rd May 2005, 13:57
I tell you who's good - Richard Allinson (BBC Radio 2 Saturday Afternoons & other live events) ... it was a bloody shame when they took him off his evening slot last June after 7 years there. He was absolutely brilliant 10.30pm - 12midnight, but now they have that plonker Mark Radcliffe on.

Jordan

Bern Oulli
24th May 2005, 16:46
ITMA .............:confused:
Followed by The Goon Show :ok:
grasps zimmer frame and creeps off stage left.

Jerricho
24th May 2005, 16:57
Roy and HG doing the State of Origin broadcast on Triple J.

Actually, I believe there is a game on tonight.

tony draper
24th May 2005, 18:23
Workers Playtime
Riders of the range
Two way Family Favourites
Wochor Geordie(Bobby Thompson)

Good Radio Dramas.
King Solomons Mine
The Kraken Wakes ect ect
One recals when Radio Luxenbourge appeared, real modern that were,,the older folks disaproved.
One also recals when Grace Archer got burned to death in the Barn.
:uhoh:

Wholigan
24th May 2005, 18:38
Aaaaah Drapes --- the memories. I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg under the bedclothes when I should have been asleep with a pair of headphones so the parents couldn't hear it. ;)

flyingbee
24th May 2005, 19:01
My favourite is the Today Programme on Radio 4.

Yesterday morning was rather interesting. Clock radio switched on at usual time, and my slumber was listening to an intersting piece on LHR T5 building work. Thought it was rather strange for Today, and rather long, but enjoyed it in my semi-conceous state. At the end of the programme I relised that it wasn't the Today Programme so instantly had the thought it was either Sunday Morning or Bank Holiday Monday and didn't need to get up. Then found out Today wasn't on because of BBC strike, and therefore had to get up. :*

Also like Chris Moyles, but due to unfortunate clash with Today I only switch over to Radio 1 after Today has finished!

flyingbee

ShyTorque
24th May 2005, 19:03
Anyone else in a position to listen to Peak FM on 107.4?

I have to admit to setting my alarm to wake me up early on my days off, just to listen to "The Bradshaws" skits during the week if I'm at home. It's brilliant - they announced the last one some time ago but have had to re-run them due to the huge outcry amongst their listeners!

The Bradshaws is a series about a family of three, a grumpy, sarcastic man, his silly wife who is full of unintentional spoonerisms, and their mischievous young son who is always in trouble.

Then Radio 2 (but certainly not before that highly irritant silly bint Sarah Kennedy has gone home).

tony draper
24th May 2005, 19:17
This is Henry Hall, and tonight is my guest night.
The Billy Cotton Band Show, wakey!! wakey!!
One also remembers when Walter Gabriel's 12 bore blew up in his face,bet the squire had a pair of matched Purdeys, one alus fancied being a Squire ,caps doffed and forlocks being tugged at one appealed.
:rolleyes:

PS always reconed that radio drama excercised the imagination much more than Television, we had to build places like Africa or the surface of Mars in our minds.
Hmmm, don't even have a radio in the house now,only time I listen is in the car.
:cool:

Howard Hughes
24th May 2005, 19:32
Roy and HG doing the State of Origin broadcast on Triple J.

Jerricho, you're obviously one cultured individual!;)

Cheers, HH.

PS: Go the Cockroaches...

Jerricho
24th May 2005, 19:35
HH, tis a pitty we don't have the likes of the Squirrel Gripper round anymore. Champaign comedy.

QUEENSLANDER!!!!

Carry0nLuggage
24th May 2005, 22:11
The Goons
Round The Horne
ISIHAC
The Now Show
The Hudson and Pepperdine Show
The Mark Steele Lecture
and practically all Radio 4

Jazz programmes on Radio 3.

BBC World Service when CNN and News 24 have driven me mad with repeats in identi-kit hotel rooms.

On Radio 1, Zane Lowe, Pete Tong (yes, that Pete Tong), Dave Pierce. I'm afraid Chris Moyles, Mark and Lard are far too in love with themselves to be funny.

All these phone wind-up merchants are mere beginners when compared to Victor Lews-Smith when he was on Loose Ends or Radio 1 for a while, had to give up trying to drink coffee while listening to him.

Kenny Everett on Capital Radio was superb; I also remember Chris Evans on GLR when he was funny, before the Ego had landed.

Niaga Dessip
24th May 2005, 23:24
Ah, yes, Radio Luxembourg with that most memorable commercial: Horace Batchelor advertising his "infradraw method" (whatever that was, sounds rude) from Keynsham, that's K-E-Y-N-S-H-A-M, Bristol.

ND:8

Davaar
26th May 2005, 21:25
I just got back to town, Dr Draper, to receive your dreadful news about Grace Archer. I didn't know. They supplanted Dick Barton, of course, and deserved something for that, but not burning to death in a barn. That's terrible. Burned to death, you say! I hate to ask, but I must: What happened to Mrs Dale and Jim?

tony draper
26th May 2005, 21:54
Not sure Mr Davaar,we switched to telly in the mid fifties, yet to this day one does not drink tea that is to hot,one recalls Mrs Dale telling of Jims theory that hot drinks were bad for the tubes,or was it Jims mother?
Arrr me old pal me old booty(ones impression Walter Gabriel)
:rolleyes:

pom
27th May 2005, 00:39
Well, I'm a big fan of ISIHAC, and now many of the classics referred to are broadcast on BBC 7.

But my vote for the funniest broadcast is 'The Woodrooffe Incident', 20 May 1937:

As part of the Coronation celebrations there was a Review of the Fleet. The commentator was an ex-naval officer, Lt. Cmdr. Thomas Woodrooffe, and the commentary was to come from his old ship. He had been rather generously entertained in the wardroom prior to the broadcast and during a pre-transmission test it was noticed that he sounded somewhat 'tired and emotional' and there was concern expressed that all might not go well with the broadcast. The Presentation office was some distance from the Control Room and before they could do anything Woodrooffe was on the air with the now legendary remark 'The Fleet's lit up'. Things went downhill from there until he was faded out ......

CoodaShooda
27th May 2005, 01:08
In a similar vein, the late Spike Milligan was at the Australian Broadcasting Commission radio studio in Sydney for an interview some years ago.

He was politely asked to wait for the interviewer in an empty studio and then left to his own devices.

Shortly afterwards, another gentleman arrived and, ignoring Spike, sat at the desk and started reading through some news items in the traditionally measured and melodious ABC Voice.

Spike joined in by adding background calls such as "What about Spike Milligan?, "..and Spike Milligan" to each article, along with some editorial comment.

After several items, the gentleman's measured tones faltered as he tried to restrain his laughter and he capitulated by also referring to Mr Spike Milligan in the next (unrelated) item.

What Spike did not know was that the gentleman was reading Australia's National Radio News - live to air. :uhoh: :}

innuendo
27th May 2005, 04:59
Mr D, " One recals when Radio Luxenbourge appeared, real modern that were,,the older folks disaproved"

Yes "Radio Luxembourg 208 meters medium wave" remember it well. Also used to like "Take it from here", Jimmy Edwards, Dick Bently and Joy Nichols.

In the late seventies had Jimmy Edwards as a passenger from Boston to Halifax with a stop in StJohn, NB, where customs had to be cleared. We were ready to go and he was still ar*ing around at the bottom of the airstairs so I opened the window and yelled "Mr Glum, (a show character of his) would you please get on board" He looked like he had been shot, but it did not take him long to recover. As he boarded he looked in and said "You must have heard that at your mothers knee, or some other low joint"