PDA

View Full Version : Peter Thomas RIP

Batchy
21st May 2005, 21:43
It is with great sadness that I have to report that Peter Thomas passed away on wednesday.

A pioneer of the aircraft preservation movement, Peter eventually went on to open the skyfame Museum at Staverton.

I would like to extend my personal sympathy to Peter's family and friends.

If any PPRuNers have any personal recollections of Peter please post them here.

Batchy.

AerBabe
24th May 2005, 09:14
Now this is public knowledge I'd like to pass my sympathy to his family. I never met Peter, but I have heard a lot about what he did for aircraft in the UK.

It's become a standing joke with my other half that, when we walk round an aircraft museum, he says "Hey, guess what, that used to be Peter's". Unless it's "Hey, guess what, that was never Peter's".

Malcolm G O Payne
26th May 2005, 19:30
As a former Skyfame pilot I am saddened by the lack of response and appreciation of the work of Peter. Without his pioneering work many historical aircraft would now be confined to static status. Skyfame was intended to be a living memorial to his brother, Desmond, who died flying Wellingtons out of Malta during WW 2, and was encapsulated in the sign DFCDFM on thee door of the hangar at Staverton. This stood for Desmond and Forces of the Commnwealth . Distinguished Flying Memorial.

treadigraph
27th May 2005, 07:21
Apologies Malcolm, Peter does deserve great recognition on this forum.

Quite apart from the historic aircraft at Duxford and elsewhere (such as the Mossie and Oxford), am I right that Peter was also the driving force behind recovering the Sunderland now at Hendon?

Another of the founding fathers, gone to scavenge the junkyard in the sky...

Malcolm G O Payne
27th May 2005, 17:21
Yes, Peter was responsible for preservation of the Royal Air Force
Museum's Sunderland.

treadigraph
27th May 2005, 20:52
As a former Skyfame pilot I am saddened by the lack of response and appreciation of the work of Peter. Without his pioneering work many historical aircraft would now be confined to static status.

Get down thou infidels on bended knee and give thanks for such heroes, without which...

I would that Peter could have influenced the mortal remains of the last Hornet at Culdrose. Amen and RIP both...