21st May 2005, 20:33
Bergkamp has been given a new 1 year contract..... :ok:

Astrodome
21st May 2005, 20:45
Two good news stories today then !

Oh well must dash, off to celebrate !

ORAC
21st May 2005, 20:53
Oh yeah, that. Didn't bother mentioning the inevitable.....

Just put 50 on Man U not to win a trophy for the next 5 years... :E

IB4138
21st May 2005, 22:51
And Viera didn't get sent off........somehow!

Johnny Hotspur
21st May 2005, 22:55
United were robbed.... they're not called lucky Arsenal for no reason.

XXTSGR
22nd May 2005, 01:50
What does all this have to do with the Royal Artillery? Shouldn't this thread be in the Mil Forum?? :confused: ;)

ORAC
22nd May 2005, 06:33
Better to be lucky than United. Maybe their new owner will bring them a bit of luck. :E

IB4138
22nd May 2005, 07:05
Far away from home, in that foreign country, home of the Whales, the people of good and truth were ambushed after normal engagement had finished by the force of true evil, led by Darth Whinger and his henchman the Ricemulcher.

The evil Whinger used his French foreign arsenal of troops, recruited mainly from the North of African States to steal the bounty, ably assisted by four yellow clad, devil turncoats, led by that cur, Sir Roderick.

The people of good and truth, led by an aged gallant Scottish general, were forced to return to their homeland, from that uncivilised country, without the treasure that was rightfully theirs, to mend their wounds and regroup, in readyness for battles ahead.

Next time however, the good would be better prepared with the joining of the army of the bucaneer Glazier from across The Pond, to swell their ranks. UPVC sealed units were to be installed immediately in all windows and doors at Olde Trafforde Castle to repell the rebellious unwanted and unwashed at the Glazier's expense. It would be a united front, with no discent from now on.

The overpaid yellow and black mercenary turncoats, with their bulging numbered Swiss bank accounts, having sneaked back over the border during the hours of darkness, would be hunted down in the home country during the months of summer and shown to the people to be the tools of evil that they truly are. The Blackheads who could be retrained to correctly use the yellow stun card and dismissive red one, would be retained for further use.

However for Sir Roderick and his men, there would be no repreive. Shedding their Blackhead uniforms and wearing normal atire would be scant disguise. They had become too well known to the ordinary man in the street. The Tower and the Axman awaited for this band of four renegades and others of this persuasion who proved incapable of retraining. The Axman would be busy and cancelled his family's summer one week holiday to Blackpoole , such would be the demand.

There would be no point in them approaching the evil Whinger for protection. They had done the job they were paid for that dark grey afternoon. Whinger had his ill-gotten trophy and was already scouring the far flung Countries and States for more evil men to swell the ranks of his troops for the battles ahead. He had seen nothing as usual, especially anything that could be used in defence of the Blackheads and would issue no comment. Whinger secretly lived in fear of and had nightmares about the gods from a square in Soho and their European allies, led by a Swiss cuckoo clock mechanic.

The next episode will commence filming in late August when battle will recommence, with the final encounter this time being on home soil at Olde New Wembilee.

The good WILL combat and triumph over the forces of evil eventually.

ORAC
22nd May 2005, 07:17
Aged gallant scottish general.
Don Quixote comes more readily to mind than Braveheart..... :p

Omark44
22nd May 2005, 10:57
If ever there was just cause to dump the penalty shoot-out then yesterdays cup final was it.

MU played their hearts out, were by far the more deserving team on the day yet lost the cup, how can this be?

It has been said before, dump the penalty shoot-out and incorporate a rule that the 'cleanest' team wins. Play the ninety minutes, play the extra time and if there is still no score then the game goes to the team with the least number of deliberate fouls, (obviously Offside and other technical fouls are excluded). Had this been in practice yesterday MU would have (rightly) won.

(I was born in Surrey of Scots parents, raised in Hampshire and support Wolves!).

joe2812
22nd May 2005, 11:15
Good idea...

i'd rather they ran onto the pitch and set up a ring, and the captains and managers went tag-team style to fight it out for the cup (which is of course suspended above the ring).

Other team players can then throw in additional items to be used by the competitors (Here Fergie, hurl me boot...).

Any other suggestions for AET fun? :E

In all seriousness though, as much as I hate Utd (Liverpool through and through), they did deserve to win after outplaying the Gunners for 90-odd minutes.

Shame...but still fun to see Keane empty-handed :E

gatfield
22nd May 2005, 11:58
I don't understand what all this has to go with Guns N Roses.

ORAC
22nd May 2005, 13:48
Losers always want to change the rules. Fergie also always blames the ref. Someone mention whingers? :E

Konkordski
22nd May 2005, 14:08
All I seem to be hearing from Utd supporters is that Arsenal was "lucky" and Utd deserved to win.

Codswallop. If you can't get the ball in the net, it's not bad luck. It's your inability to generate the conditions needed to score - partly through your own team's failure to be precisely on target (which is what's needed sometimes) and partly through the opposition's success in preventing you from creating that opportunity.

You only have luck in games where you roll a dice. Football is a game of skill. If you hit the crossbar, it's not bad luck, it's bad aim - even if the aim is only a few inches off. Therefore you don't deserve the goal. If you have 50 shots at goal and STILL can't score, then that says to me that your team needs a kick up the @rse.

Utd might have come close, on several occasions, but that's irrelevant. They didn't deliver when it was needed. And Arsenal did. End of story. Stop whining.

maxman
22nd May 2005, 15:40
Why not have the penalty shootout before the game. You may have to throw everyone forward if it's still 0-0, could spice up some games.

Jordan D
22nd May 2005, 17:06
I think there should have been a replay .... (that coming from a life long Gunners fan) .... mind you, I'm not complaining about the result! :O

Jordan

Omark44
22nd May 2005, 23:18
You are quite wrong Konkordski, the game of soccer and the game of penalty shoot-outs are poles apart and should not be played on the same pitch or, at least, in conjunction with one another. The game of soccer lasted ninety minutes plus thirty minutes and neither side scored a goal. The penalty shoot out is about as appropriate for deciding an FA cup final, (or any other cup match), as a game of cards would be. It was only in this totally inappropriate arena that Arsenal 'delivered' - the cup should go to the team who played the best and cleanest soccer, this scenario possibly a bit old fashioned for a young journo like you?

The idea of awarding the victory to the cleanest team has been mooted before, why do people have so much trouble with the idea of rewarding a clean team at the expense of a dirtier team? Isn't it natural to want to see the whole game cleaned up and the deliberate foul disappear?

As previously mentioned, I don't support either Arsenal or MU, I do support good clean football though, so I am neither whining or whinging!

Astrodome
22nd May 2005, 23:38
And your views on players who verbally attack and abuse the referee and linesmen?

On Managers who attack the professionalism of the same staff?

Something that MU are quite familiar with.

And before you or the MU whingers start I would paste the following :-

Arsenal will receive 30,000 prize-money for being the most sporting team in the 2004-05 season.
Said Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore: 'The Premier League attaches a great deal of importance to fair play and we congratulate Arsenal on their achievement"

Howard Hughes
23rd May 2005, 00:10
the game of soccer and the game of penalty shoot-outs are poles apart and should not be played on the same pitch

Well actually a game of soccer is decided by putting the ball in the back of the net more times than your opponent!! This is exactly what happens in a penalty shoout out.

Having said that, I do however agree with you 100% that a game should never be decided in this way. As an Arsenal fan it seems like a hollow victory for the game to finish in a penalty shoot out.

Manchester played an impressive, attacking style of football, while Arsenal played the boring, dour, defensive style normally reserved for international matches.

I think it is a travesty that Manchester did not win, I think the game should continue until such time as either side scores a winning goal. If not, then a replay is the only fair way to determine a result!!

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

PS:What about this for an idea?

After the regulation two periods of extra time, the game should continue with each side being reduced by 1 player every 5 mins. This would cause players to fatigue quickly, resulting in one side eventually making a mistake.