PDA

View Full Version : Heli/Fixed Wing IFR Rating Question

Helifan
21st May 2005, 18:11
Hi there

Been meaning to pose this question to all you PPRuners for some time which is - "How practical is it to do one's IFR rating in a helicopter over that of a fixed wing?"

I am not to concerned about the costs, as that is obvious, but rather in the final quality of one's rating at the outcome. In other words how holistic can the training be considering the additional flying workloads on a heli pilot.

Also does obtaining a IFR rating in a helicopter make one a competent IFR pilot in a fixed wing, if you could fly both? somehow I cannot imagine it.

Heli.

IHL
21st May 2005, 18:54
In my opinion and from a Canadain persective; I would recommend that you do the IR in a light twin for the following reasons:

1) Single engine helicopters don't usually meet the requirements to be certified for IFR and may not have a "real world" IFR panel i.e. HSI RMI DME GPS ect.

2) If done in a light twin you should be able to get some actual IFR experience in cloud. No matter how much hood time one has the real test is when you're in cloud. At the very least you should get some experience on a real IFR flight plan with real ATC clearances . [ If the school you are considering does not train in actual IFR then go to one that does.]

3) Light twins are more complex than SE helicopters so you will have to manage and do the emergency drills for single engine operations.

4) Once you get the Twin IFR then convert to the Heli IR.

In summary you will be better trained and better able to deal with the REAL IFR world if you do your training in a light twin.

My $.02 worth.

paco
21st May 2005, 19:44
I would agree, especially with your first point - in fact, the machine I finally used didn't have an ADF and we had to improvise with a GPS.

The real point is that helicopters do require slightly different handling under IFR, and you can only really appreciate that difference with some FW time.

Phil

Kiwi63
21st May 2005, 23:44
I think I can put a perspective on this, having had a fixed wing IFR rating since 1983 and a helicopter IFR rating since 1987, currently holding (Current) Command Instrument Ratings in both fixed wing and helicopter, and instructing instrument flying on both categories. The hours requirements for either category (In Australia at least) mean that you will have to do more training and prove your competency on both. That is, if you start with a fixed wing rating, you then have to do 20 hours on category, that is on a helicopter, of instrument training in order to sit the test for your helicopter rating and vice-versa. Which one you start with probably does not matter. In fact, it is easier to learn in a fixed wing because of it's inherant stability compared to helo's, and the procedures and processes are still the same. As for the question regarding the instrumentation, you will find some schools doing IFR training on incredibly basic aircraft, both helicopters and fixed wing. You have to sit the test on an IFR certified aircraft, so you will have at least the basic IFR fit. So what if it does not have an HSI/RMI/TSO GPS or whatever: when you fly an aircraft that has one you arrange to learn about that and away you go. I constantly fly aircraft that have instruments/systems I've nover seen before: read the manual, get some instruction, and practice until you are competent. In fact, it's like the Tiger Moth training question, learn to fly without ll the fancy gismo's and you'll be a very good pilot: add the systems later. Learn to fly on a glass cockpit super performance aircraft, and you'll never be a good Tiger Moth pilot. Same principle applies to IFR.

It must be good to be in a situation that money is no object! Biggest recommendatino for you: spend heaps of time an a synthetic trainer, with a good instructor supervising, getting your IFR procedures perfect. You'll be a much better, and safer, IFR pilot for the practice.

Hope this helps.

genocchio
22nd May 2005, 13:13
For me the hardest part of IFR is getting the procedures perfect. I had most of my initial training in a basic flight-training device with a highly competent instructor. We went all the simulated procedures, emergencies, etc. to a point where they where second nature.

Once in the aircraft it was just to learn the different systems between each aircraft - basically getting familiar with them.

There is a big difference between hood time and actual IFR time but if the basic initial training is there, there should be no issues.

(edited for grammer)

WLM
22nd May 2005, 15:23
If you have a CPL (H), can you get basic instrument training in a fixed wing, with the take off and landing part done by the instructor? If so will it be accepted as basic instrument training despite the lack of a fixed wing licence. To clarify the question, I am not after a rating, just exposure to basic instrument training
Would the SPIFR be available for helo? Yes I understand it is only for private privilege. Appreciate the answers as I am currently overseas without my CASA regs.
Thanks