PDA

View Full Version : IR renewal

VFE
21st May 2005, 17:36
If the IR lapses what are the implications for renewing it?

Cheers,

VFE.

FlyingForFun
21st May 2005, 18:18
VFE,

Surely by now you know that the answer is that "it's in LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS2005.PDF)? In this case, LAS Section E page 5, bottom right corner (page 205 of the .PDF file).

Briefly, to renew the rating if it's expired by less than 5 years, a test with an examiner. If it's expired by more than 5 but less than 7 years, a test with a CAA staff examiner. More than 7 years, and you have to re-do the written exams as well as do a test with a CAA staff examiner.

FFF
-------------

VFE
21st May 2005, 21:59
Thanks FFF.

Being lazy ole me again.... :zzz:

VFE.

VFE
22nd May 2005, 10:09
Do I need a valid multi rating to do the multi IR renewal in the sim? And if the IR lapses do I need to do the full initial test in the aircraft or can I still do the watered down version in the sim as long as I'm within the 5 year period?

Sorry to be a pain but that LASORS page ain't loading up for me.

Thanks,

VFE.

BillieBob
22nd May 2005, 10:41
"To renew an IR(A) that has expired by more than 5 years but less and 7 years, applicants must: For single-pilot aircraft pass an IR(A) proficiency check in an aeroplane with a UK CAA Staff Flight Examiner."

[LASORS E1.5]

Maude Charlee
22nd May 2005, 15:40
VFE

I'm presuming your IR has only lapsed fairly recently and well within 5 years since last being current. The renewal test is the 'watered down' version as you put it. Fairly relaxed kind of affair compared to the initial IR, and it only needs to be an approved examiner (usually your local club sort of chap) rather than the CAA staff examiners.

You can renew in the sim, either single engine or multi engine, but you will only be able to excercise the priveledges of the IR in the air if you also hold the appropriate class rating. In other words, you can renew a multi IR in the sim without the need of a MEP rating, but you then cannot use the MEIR in the air, unless you subsequently gain the MEP rating. Obviously if you only renew the IR in a single engine sim, you are restricted to use of the IR in SEP aircraft regardless of whether or not you hold the MEP rating. You must renew as a MEIR to use it in ME a/c.

I've done it both ways, and to be honest, although in the air is more costly and less convenient, I much preferred it to the sim. Worth the extra couple of hundred quid, and nice to be able to log some proper multi IFR time as well.

VFE
22nd May 2005, 19:00
Great stuff Maude Charlee - thanks very much. Just what I was looking for.

I shall speak to an IR instructor tomorrow but over this weekend was unable to get hold of him to check this up. My IR has not expired yet but the date is fast approaching so I was worrying that I had to sort a renewal session out very quickly but at least the heat is off a little - but gonna speak to the instructor tomorrow as I say.

Thanks again. :ok:

VFE.

Craggenmore
27th May 2005, 08:17
If you renew a multi-engine IR without an MEP rating, as I understand, you cannot fly multi engine IR.

However, can you fly single engine IR?

OK - finally deciphered LASORS and you can!!