PDA

View Full Version : Will I make my dream hasppen??

747man
20th May 2005, 15:35
Hi everyone,

My name is Richard, and i am from North Wales UK.

For many years now i have combined my love of aviation (and in particular the 747), by building up a road haulage operation revolving around airfreight, and being in the location of these magnificent aircraft.

I have for the past five years ,been working away at my PPL, and am steadily building up hours on my little Cessna 172.

Having reached the ripe old age of 39 this year, i am wondering if anybody can either point me in the right direction, or give me advise about the prospects of ever being able to fly a 747.

I am very realistic, and perhaps realise that age is against me, but fortunately the money it would cost to get my own commercial license is not an issue.

I am really keen to go forward with this, but do not know where to start.

I do not want to get to the top of the passenger tree, being extremely happy at the prospect of flying freighters around as my predictions feel that the next generation of freighters will be 747 - 400 variants which have been converted.

This my dream, and with the wealth of experience available to me on this forum, i really just wondered if i was far to old for any pilot career.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter, from all parties concerned, so please feel free to speak your mind, it will not offend me!!

Any help would be really appreciated.

I thank you all in advance,

Richard.

No_Speed_Restriction
20th May 2005, 15:47
Why not broaden your horizons instead of just focusing on one type? why not start with turboprop freight and work your way up? or maybe a different boeing type?

747man
20th May 2005, 15:59
Hi and thanks for the prompt reply.

That is a very good point you make, and has prompted me to read my initial posting again.

I think i am prepared for that with no problem at all, but still am not really sure how to go about it.

Just flying any commercial would be great, as at 39 i still have grave doubts about acheiving my goal.

The 747 would be the ultimate, but you are absolutely right.

Thanks again for the advise.

Richard.

No_Speed_Restriction
20th May 2005, 21:30
i didnt mean to burst your bubble but realistically pilots have to accumulate some experience before they get taken on to fly the heavier stuff. then again, you do find low houred people as well but not many.

cosworth211
21st May 2005, 02:27
I can appreciate your ultimate goal, but I wouldnt put it in a specific plan. I am a PPL holder, who is just finishing a degree and off to states to complete the rest of my training. i would kill for the right seat of any commercial aircraft upon completion and you can bet Ill work hard for it. The most qualified pilot in the world can only dream of a seat in a jumbo or 380 or even these days in transatlantic, but the first task is a RHS in any commercial aircraft. If you can do the calculation of 74 size aircraft against smaller, then add the factor of your age, you can do a rough calculation on your chances...

I am 26 and doubt my chances of getting a 747 seat and I live and breath flying.

Just MHO, and I always say GO FOR IT, I dont make the rules and I hope you acheive your goal.

Farrell
21st May 2005, 13:03
Sell your business......get the fATPL......but a 747 type rating......and then buy a load of right seat hours on type........if it's what you really want!

Good luck!

747man
21st May 2005, 15:32
Thanks all for your response, as this is reaaly what i want to do.

Farrall, could you explain a little more how you would put your option into practice, as this is one of my ideas.

This is why i have built up a healthy business to start with, as i could use one to fund the rather exotic(!) secondry goal.

looking forward to hearing from you, and indeed anybody in particular who has actually bought there way into the cockpit.

P.S - Just to stop any fears, i am also a pretty good pilot, rather than just a real dreamer.

I can sort the simulator out pretty well, but am under no real illusions that it is definately not the real thing.

Your responses are very encouraging and i would love to hear some great success stories if anybody nknows of them.

looking forward to your replies.

Cheers again,

Richard.

quifflegend
21st May 2005, 19:48
Hi, from North Wales also. Where abouts do you fly? Chester flying school. Only completed my ppl last year. I say go for it. At the end of the day, if you work hard for something you will acheive it. Just my little contribution. Good luck

Farrell
21st May 2005, 22:34
Yeah.....i'll map it out for you if you want.

PM me and i'll sort you out.

BusBoy
24th May 2005, 08:10
747MAN the only thing holding you back is you.
Got for it, it can be done so go do it.

By the time you're 48 you could have gone from Turboprop - 747, it could be done in less depending on your exams. That leaves you 12 years of flying it.

PS It's worth it