PDA

View Full Version : Durban Helicopter Company Selling????

canthover
20th May 2005, 14:14
Starlite up for sale by tender????

Does this mean a market full of machines and pilots or just a change of hands??

DualDriver
21st May 2005, 09:08
Now THAT'S interesting...

I thought they were doing so well. Wonder why they would be selling:confused:

Where did you get this info from? Keep us updated.

LOAC
22nd May 2005, 05:37
Maybe their doings are finally catching up with them and is it time for the Thomas clan to bail.

Please do us this favour!!!

glimmerman_alpha
23rd May 2005, 13:13
I saw this coming...after their previous manager left at the CT base there were havoc in that poor old office.... R22's were returned to Durban, ZS ROC, who was on contract from Grand West, broke down.....5 times....and the Hughes 300 was returned to the owner after differences with the Thomas Gang.

They have done some good jobs in the past but they have just managed to screw themselves over this time it looks like:ouch:

This will be a really interesting episode. Keep us posted

:=

Helifan
23rd May 2005, 14:14
Geeeee....I must agree with DuelDriver - THIS is interesting........

Canthover where did you hear about this tender and Glimmerman_alpha, what actually do you mean when you say: Quote - "They have done some good jobs in the past but they have just managed to screw themselves over this time it looks like".

Update us pleeeeeez.

Heli.

glimmerman_alpha
23rd May 2005, 14:38
This is only hearsay...but.....maybe there were fingers in the till....maybe.... some accounts just seem to heap up..........:confused: :oh:

Banzai-blades
23rd May 2005, 20:50
Come on Slade.

We know you read this forum. Any response?

You guys have done some good in the past. Defend yourselves or is this going to turn into the same thread as the EC 120 incident.

If silence is the best answer then we have to believe the grapevine version.

I dare you to respond.

PS. Mr Moderator if this is too upfront please mod. I only think that this is the only way we will get the truth

LOAC
24th May 2005, 12:07
"Good things" few and far between!! Greed has been the demise of many companies with potential and Starlite will be no exception.

What exactly is up for tender, because Starlite does not own any machines, they are all privately owned and leased to the company. The "beautiful" hangars are leased and the pilots and instructors are not employees.

So what part of this hollow shell is up for tender? Surely not all that "good will!" which no investor with a bit of knowledge about the aviation market will want to touch.

To many skeletons!!!

mini
25th May 2005, 01:19
Is this the same Co. that had the Pumas in Banda on a UN contract?

Life'sShort-FlyFast
25th May 2005, 08:19
This is very interesting! If true, why would they be selling on a tender basis? Strange! Maybe someone who does not have all the facts and that can be fooled into believing that it is a company of some substance, might bid! A BEE partner perhaps? As stated above, there is not much of value there and if anyone believes that there is goodwill in that organization need to do a LOT more investigation!

Helifan
25th May 2005, 13:27
Ahhhhhhhhhhh !!!!!!!!!!! just when I thought somebody had some real kick-ass 'skinner' regarding Starlite, they let down the side by making statements that appear once again to founded on hearsay and not fact.

This latest Starlite episode looks to be a BEE issue. Can somebody from Starlite confim this for us before we get the wrong end of the stick again.

Cummon people lets get real here and post something that genuinely discredits them and not ourselves, as it appears to be the case once again.

Heli. :(

clipboard
25th May 2005, 13:33
;) I saw the CEO and well known Cape Town business man of the Huey Company in Durban last week. I'm sure he's gonna be making a play for this deal. Won't be surprised if his in on it already.:p

Just shows you what enthusiasm can do huh?

Another Huey operation in Durban??????

Watch out kite surfers, surfers, bathers and greenpeace supporters. You're gonna love that lot.:ok:

LOAC
26th May 2005, 17:46
This might just be another scam from the Thomas clan, but surely all is not well. Remember other companies downfall also started with stories like this one.

The pot is boiling and the lid will eventually come off, it is just a matter of time! If everyone that has had a bad experience with this company, come to the fore, their days will be numbered.

Lets do the industry this favour and get rid of the bad apple that is tarnishing the industry's reputation!!!

HedgePig
27th May 2005, 06:30
So, based on what is probably purest speculation, you suggest EVERY member of the aviation community stand up and witch-hunt?

Whats the matter with you people? *lite employs in the region of 100 people, all of whom put food on the table for their families, they promote an active program of flight safety and try (where possible) to promote and advance their staff. You want to close them down!?!

Mr S.T. has been running what appears to be a successful company for many years now, with a respectable fleet of aircraft now spread all over the world, playing by the rules. A South African company. He is a man i have met on MANY occasions, who is firm, yet fair and places the highest value on his family FIRST, thats called calibre. I would describe him as a man with integrity, who does everything within his power to do the job right. This means, as happens in business, that fragile ego's will be dented, but it appears to remain a tight ship. Each of you who cite a grievance with the crowd CERTAINLY were happy at some stage to take money from the company in the form of a salary or training, without complaint. Every business has the right to protect its interests, thats good corporate governance! Which one of you whiners is going to start off, on risk, with your own money and one helicopter and built a huge, multi-national operator? As long as you take another mans money, you live by his rules. You dont like it, you go somewhere else. Thats how it works.

Read EVERY other thread in PPRUNE. Everyone gets on, yet, when an SA related thread emerges, it IMMEDIATELY descends into a witch hunt, take a look! Everyone blames everyone else! There is a mentality that suggests that every person in this fair country wakes up with the SPECIFIC goal of shafting the system.

Heres the thing; Its not the CAA's fault, *lite's fault, the fuel guy's fault, the Waterfront's fault, SAA's fault, it's the very fabric that is aviation in the country, the pilots, controllers and students. I am a qualified helicopter flyer, who left the industry some time back to pursue other opportunities. It startles me to see how in EVERY other industry there is out there and in every other country, folk hold hands and work towards a better solution, rather than rally lynch mobs on speculation.

I live in a country with the 7th largest stock exchange in the world, the cheapest water and electricity. My personal tax has been reduced 7 years in a row. My rubbish gets removed, just as it did ten years ago. I now enjoy free schooling, with NO national deficit, and the lowest interest rates in 34 years. I can fly between Jhb and Ct for less than a bus ticket was 4 years ago.

If this mail offends you, then you may step lightly into that box of embittered, jealous kindergarten kids, who do nothing but malign and destroy what is the powerhouse of African aviation. And to those many pilots and colleagues i know who i count as dear friends, thanks for making this country the FINEST place in world to work in.

I'm proudly South African, and i unilaterally support any organisation that legitimately advances the nation i love.

HedgePig

Gunship
27th May 2005, 07:56
Well said HedgePig : Can only agree with you !
Those that still think SA is so bad ... catch a wake up call and get out there ... you are missing the boat. Yes there is crime and the CAA / SAA are quite :mad: but hey we have a GREAT country ! :ok:

Heres the thing; Its not the CAA's fault, *lite's fault, the fuel guy's fault, the Waterfront's fault, SAA's fault, it's the very fabric that is aviation in the country, the pilots, controllers and students. I am a qualified helicopter flyer, who left the industry some time back to pursue other opportunities. It startles me to see how in EVERY other industry there is out there and in every other country, folk hold hands and work towards a better solution, rather than rally lynch mobs on speculation.

I live in a country with the 7th largest stock exchange in the world, the cheapest water and electricity. My personal tax has been reduced 7 years in a row. My rubbish gets removed, just as it did ten years ago. I now enjoy free schooling, with NO national deficit, and the lowest interest rates in 34 years. I can fly between Jhb and Ct for less than a bus ticket was 4 years ago.

If this mail offends you, then you may step lightly into that box of embittered, jealous kindergarten kids, who do nothing but malign and destroy what is the powerhouse of African aviation. And to those many pilots and colleagues i know who i count as dear friends, thanks for making this country the FINEST place in world to work in.

I'm proudly South African, and i unilaterally support any organisation that legitimately advances the nation i love.

Recuperator
27th May 2005, 20:35
If I grab you by the feet I might be able to save you...;)

glimmerman_alpha
28th May 2005, 11:56
Good speech hedge!!! But Starlite still remains a bad apple in the industry. Every pilot Ive known have an issue with them. Yes SA is great and Yes its the land of milk and honey but if a company is going to crack...let it be:ok:

No need to stand up for ST. He is a grown man and well respected pilot. Sure he can do that himself. Remember Rossair?? Well, they were just as "BIG" and just as "TIGHT" but where is Rossair now:confused: Uhmm, on some liquidators desk:ugh:

Starlite did indeed try to monopolise the industry but it wont work in our SA.... The same SA you mentioned in your patriot speech.

It all still remains PPRUNE rumours...but hey...thats what its here for;)

If they are indeed going to survive- good for them:ok:

If not...take a hike boys:{

skydriver2000
3rd Jun 2005, 12:30
Starlite will never sell , the company and its crew is doing just fine
and the "Thomas gang " will be around for a very very long time:O

Life'sShort-FlyFast
6th Jun 2005, 08:57
Skydriver 2000! That is a very confident statement. Everything is for sale, at a price! Surely, or am I flying too fast for my own good?