PDA

View Full Version : Istanbul - help!

Pax-man
20th May 2005, 14:01
Anybody ANY idea how I can get in and out of Istanbul from the UK for next week's match? Just got tix for the game, and there doesn't seem to be a single flight left - from anywhere!

Tried all main Euro carriers, to no avail. Anyone with any inside info or clever tricks, please let me know!

TIA

dwlpl
20th May 2005, 14:09
Did hear that there are just 4 air tickets left next week to get there on time and they are from Heathrow!

jetstream7
20th May 2005, 14:19
opodo.co.uk shows Turkish Airlines having availability travelling out 24/5 returning 26/5 £495

Pax-man
20th May 2005, 14:38
Can't get any joy out of opodo - telling me no avails! Thanks for getting in touch, though - much appreciated.

woptb
20th May 2005, 15:02
Try a bit more of a lateral approach. Find out the Loco destinations with availability & check which of the destinations has availability to Istanbul. My suggestion would be German Wings to Deutchland because of the large Turkish population,possibly greater frequency/availability. Good Luck!

mmeteesside
20th May 2005, 15:14
Are all the football charters full? Flights from LPL and MAN, and I think theres one from STN?

mmeteesside

jetstream7
20th May 2005, 16:06
OK.. expedia.co.uk has various options... using Air France or Alitalia.

You're looking at £700+ this way

MAN777
20th May 2005, 20:09
Pax man

Sorry to hear about your problem, i have the opposite problem, flight with no ticket !!

Booked my flight months ago using airmiles with Turkish a/l.

This might sound a bit cheeky, if you dont get sorted with a flight, i will take your ticket off you.

I live in Manchester and fly out monday.

Cheers

Pax-man
20th May 2005, 22:04
Think I've sussed it now...

Looks like I'm setting off on Tuesday, and should get home about 5 flights and £600 later! Will post details when I get flight confirmations, in case anybody else is looking.

There are little if any footy charter seats left - saw a couple today for £850!!!

Man777 - I've sent you a PM.

Thanks to everybody who has contributed - I really appreciate it. Come on you reds!

Pax-man
22nd May 2005, 22:41
Cracked it!

Flying Liverpool - Basel with easyjet, Basel - Istanbul with Turkish, Istanbul - Cologne - Paris with Germanwings and Paris - Liverpool with EZY again.

Thanks for the tips. It's costing nearly £600 but it should be interesting. Set off at lunchtime on Tuesday, and if all goes well I should be back in LPL by 1300 on Thursday.

If anyone is still trying to get over there, take a look at the Turkish Airlines website - might still have availability on the Basel - Istanbul flight, which gets you into Turkey at 1600 on matchday.

Looks like EZY have cottoned onto the route through Cologne, as the price of their flight back to LPL on Thursday has gone thru the roof - hence me going to Paris.

symphonyangel
23rd May 2005, 06:30
Well done Pax-Man.

84 extra football charter flights at Liverpool between Tuesday and Thursday, should be fun!

Pax-man
23rd May 2005, 12:04
84?? Blimey - is that some sort of record?

dwlpl
23rd May 2005, 13:47
Yeah, 42 return flights.

zed3
23rd May 2005, 16:34
Word on the block is that firstly there will be severe flow problems from this event and secondly the airfields in Turkey will be overfull and many a/c will still be in the air when the game starts .

MAN777
23rd May 2005, 18:58
I arrıved IST today on a very full TK A321 from MAN. Just took a walk round the Sultanamet area and the Lıverpool fans are already here ın force and ın full voıce. The sound of 'You wıll never walk alone! wıth the sound of a call to prayer ın the background ıs surreal to say the least !

IST aırport was very quıet when I arrıved but I stıll had to Q for 1 hour for one of those stıcky vısas. I dread to thınk what the Q wıll be lıke when the AC Mılan fans arrıve en mass.

Cheers. Off out for a kebab now. !!

Just read thıs message and ıts been converted by the turkısh computer keyboard. No I am not pıssed !!

Banzai Eagle
24th May 2005, 08:52
MAN 777

Classic mate

Eff Oh
24th May 2005, 09:36
NIce one! Good luck MAN777 from a Celtic fan. "You'll never walk alone":ok: :ok:

Ronaldsway Radar
25th May 2005, 09:36
Just back from liverpool airport last night, seemed strange flying out west to the IoM when all the other liverpool fans were heading east!!!

Honestly though, the atmosphere in LPL airport last night was phenomenal....even the tug drivers were enjyoing themselves :D

RR

LGS6753
25th May 2005, 14:24
29 airline departures from Istanbul/SAW tomorrow am before 0500L. Mainly to Liverpool, some to Manchester and Luton.

Italian flights using Istanbul Ataturk/IST. 34 departures to various Italian cities between midnight and 0330.