PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue Picks Up Global Gong For Best Low Cost Carrier

Big Hairy Potatoes
20th May 2005, 03:57
From the VB website:

Virgin Blue Picks Up Global Gong For Best Low Cost Carrier 2005 OAG Awards Name Virgin Blue World’s Best…Again!Australian based low cost/high quality carrier, Virgin Blue, has been named OAG Best Low Cost Airline of the Year for the second year in a row.

The news was announced only hours ago at the OAG Airline of The Year Awards in London, which have been dubbed the “Oscars of the Airline Industry” and recognise excellence in aviation both in the air and on the ground.

Virgin Blue was nominated in the category of “Best Low Cost Airline” in the world, along with popular and well established carriers US based Southwest and the UK’s easyJet.

The airline took out the award for the second year running delighting the entire Virgin Blue team who have put their heart and souls into making sure Virgin Blue’s service is second to none.

Virgin Blue Chief Executive, Brett Godfrey, said “This is an extremely prestigious accolade for Virgin Blue and to be recognised within this global arena is a great privilege. We were honoured to be nominated again and considered in the same category as some of the world’s most highly respected airlines and are even more honoured to have won again.”

The OAG Airline of The Year Awards are an annual and highly respected event which represent the views of frequent travellers who nominate airlines based on their overall performance throughout a 12 month period. Airlines are judged on a range of factors including operational efficiency, polished service and providing travellers with an enjoyable and positive travel experience.

Brett Godfrey continued, “As the first low cost airline to enter the Australian market we had a very clear objective of not only bringing competition and low fares to travellers but also being an airline that goes beyond expectations by making sure our marketing is more than lip service.”

Virgin Blue founder and Life President, Richard Branson and Virgin Blue Chairman Chris Corrigan both greeted the news with enthusiasm, sending their hearty congratulations to the Virgin Blue team.

Brett Godfrey added, “As a low cost carrier, it’s a given that we have affordable fares but our competitive advantage lies in our commitment to customer service. While we are very proud to have been bestowed this award again, rest assured it will only further inspire the team to dig even deeper and prove why Virgin Blue has been recognised as the best in its business.”

Johhny Utah
20th May 2005, 14:56
Since when has Virgin Blue changed from being a 'low cost carrier' to a "low cost/high quality carrier"...?

Perhaps this is the new spin from the PR gang now that Corrigan has taken control? And here I was, thinking that they were only about 'keeping the air fair' ;)

However, as everyone on PPrune knows, when QF wins an award it isn't worth a pinch of sh1t... however I'm sure we can expect pats on the back for the DJ performance from the usual suspects...:rolleyes:

Beer Can Dreaming
20th May 2005, 22:53
Good on them overall, but then again the full story by the press quotes:

"Ironically, the news comes as Virgin tries to shed the low-cost moniker and portray itself as a value-based or "new world" carrier in an attempt to boost its appeal to high-yield travellers."

If this isnt a spin then I dont know what is.
Claiming an award for best low cost carrier and attempting to portray itslef as a "value based or new world airline.

What the hell is a "new-based" airline ???
Can anyone look up the definition?

Apart from the hype, good on them.
I suppose they deserve some good news, but in the eyes of Chris Corrigan this doesnt put extra dollars into the bank or improve a share price thats fallen over 29% since floating.

Having dealt with Mr Corrigan and Mr Scanlon in the past, dont expect an easy run in the future.
They will slash and burn, contract out even more jobs and play hard-ball the likes of like you've never seen.

At the end of the day when the bottom line is decided their methods of business will prove Mr Godfrey's style inadequate.

Scooter
20th May 2005, 23:00
A company media release never tells the whole story such as who won all the other awards.
I'd say it's rigged because CX never got a mention.
Here it is anyhow:

VIRGIN Blue may have to think twice about reinventing itself after beating Southwest Airlines, Ryanair and EasyJet to take out a global award as 2005's best low-cost airline.

This is the second year running the Australian carrier has won the title at the OAG Airline of the Year awards in London.
Ironically, the news comes as Virgin tries to shed the low-cost moniker and portray itself as a value-based or "new world" carrier in an attempt to boost its appeal to high-yield travellers.

That distinction, however, did not prevent a jubilant statement from the airline's Brisbane headquarters.

"This is an extremely prestigious accolade for Virgin Blue and to be recognised within this global arena is a great privilege," chief executive Brett Godfrey said.

"We were honoured to be nominated again and considered in the same category as some of the world's most highly respected airlines, and are even more honoured to have won again."

Airlines are nominated for the global awards by frequent travellers and judged on a range of factors including operational efficiency and service.

US carrier Continental Airlines took out the overall title from a field that included Qantas, Emirates, Singapore Airlines and British Airways.

Qantas won the award for the best airline based in Australasia and the Pacific, while Singapore Airlines took out the categories for airlines serving Asia and routes between Europe and the Far East/Australasia.

Singapore also won awards for the best economy class and international first class.

Other winning airlines flying to Australia included Cathay Pacific (best trans-Pacific airline), Emirates (best airline based in the Middle East/Indian sub-continent), British Airways (best airline based in western Europe) and South African Airways (best airline based in Africa).

The award for best international airport went to Dubai with Atlanta Hartsfield and Singapore's Changi coming in as regional finalists.

The_Cutest_of_Borg
20th May 2005, 23:31
So what criteria do they use to select the "Best" LCC anyhow?

Best IFE?...nope

Best Food? ...nope

FA's with biggest tits?.... possibly

Help me out here people!

Chief Chook
21st May 2005, 00:21
Well regardless of whatever criteria are used, Australia's VB won it......................AGAIN!

(Maybe it was based on the pilots with the highest IQ, TCoB :} )

VH-Cheer Up
22nd May 2005, 05:38
And who votes for these awards? Surely not the poor SLF?

While on the subject, how are these TV adverts where they rave on about "wouldn't it be nice to get Virgin Blue service everywhere?"

Yeah, WHAT SERVICE?

Getting me to separate my own coupon from the boarding pass (OK, no biggie) to speed up the boarding process, jamming me in tight between two fat guys, charging me even if I only want a drink of cold water, and boring me to tears with dumb announcements, is that the service I should be getting everywhere?

I ask again WHAT SERVICE beyond basically taking my money, shoving me on then off again, what aspect of that is considered SERVICE beyond any reasonable expectation of the bare minimum?

On the other hand, if asked to nominate what service they could remove and still constitute RPT - I can't think of any.

Still, lucky we still have window blinds I suppose.

Virgin's marketing misses the point. They take a price position, then want people to expect a high level of service. You can't have it both ways. It's either cheap, or high service. If they forget which one they are trying to be then surely they will lose their way.

VHCU

Enema Bandit's Dad
22nd May 2005, 05:47
Hey, what are you whinging about? Some flights come with a nice hunky male flight attendant stripper! (See thread "Is this For Real????").

The_Cutest_of_Borg
22nd May 2005, 10:34
Oh I am not saying it wasn't deserved...... but I am a bit lost to see just what criteria is used.

Best use of red paint on a fuselage?.... maybe

Penmanship of Booking number? .... a stretch

Best use of socks in male FA's trousers?... hmmmm

Fastest change given for five day old chicken sandwhich?.. I may be on to something there..

;)

cunninglinguist
23rd May 2005, 03:29
Wot a joke, nearly $500 one way Ad -Ph, with a weeks notice. Even QF had a seat just over half that price.
same old two airline policy except that one of them is no-frills.
Any wonder the shares are doing so well:yuk:

A4G
23rd May 2005, 17:00
OAG??? You must be kidding. Never heard of it before. Anyone else? Sounds like typical VB marketing crap to me. Is this an award for making pilots pay for their endorsement and ripping off employees while making the managers rich and compromising air safety? I guess they deserve it then. Is there an award for getting 45% of domestic travel given to you on a plate then getting it rolled back by a competor with a much higher cost structure? We have a winner then. I give VB 5 years max or until reality catches up with their hype. Is Branson laughing at us? YES!!!!!!

Woomera
23rd May 2005, 22:23
A4G. You have never heard of the OAG?

The OAG (Official Airline Guide) is probably the world's largest airline industry travel guide. The OAG provides electronic schedules and fares data to most of the world airlines CRS (computer reservations systems) systems, in addition to providing travel guides to probably the majority of the world's travel agents.

OAG. (www.oag.com/oag/website/com/en/Home/About+OAG/)

Woomera

The_Cutest_of_Borg
23rd May 2005, 23:12
Well mark me down as number 2 on the "Ignorant of OAG" list.

Funny thing here is, we could probably do a search for when QF won some OAG prize and you'd get the same comments from the peanut gallery.

Anyway... congratulations to VB for winning the OAG Best LCC carrier... however a bunch of travel agents awarded it... :}

Now if it a been an award that actually MEANT something...like..

http://www.hutta.com/acme/awd_burns.jpg

Then I could be impressed!!;)

Next Generation
1st Jun 2005, 09:39
A4G

OAG??? You must be kidding. Never heard of it before. Anyone else?

You wouldn't have heard of it with your head stuck up your own @rse.

( No KEG, No independent audit required:D )